Hotspot recommendations

Bobbyb

With all due respect, I don't think that any currently available AT&T "unlimited" hotspot plan provides for more than 15GB of LTE data before slowing the device down to 128kps.  I presume you are aware of that.

If you want a truly unlimited hotspot option you may wish to consider the new Verizon prepaid hotspot plan for $70/mo with a $5/mo credit for automatic payment.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

If you can live with a tethered tablet instead of a hotspot, AT&T has a $30/month unlimited plan. It's deprioritized after 22GB, but so far that hasn't been a problem on our similar Connected Car plan.

Click on "Tablets and Other Mobile Devices".

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

14 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, I don't think that any currently available AT&T "unlimited" hotspot plan provides for more than 15GB of LTE data before slowing the device down to 128kps.  I presume you are aware of that.

If you want a truly unlimited hotspot option you may wish to consider the new Verizon prepaid hotspot plan for $70/mo with a $5/mo credit for automatic payment.

X2 on this.  We just started our new prepaid and love it.  Just be sure to get a good jetpack.  We started with the cheap Ellipsis and couldn't get more than 1.6 Mps download.  I went back to the store and purchased the 8800 and now have 30+ Mps download and stream without any issues.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

I hate to post this. I do understand that ATT does not offer a true unlimited. But there are sellers on ebay that offer a plan. You pay them as little as $20.00. You get an email with iemi and instructions on how to sign up with ATT. You pay $29.99 directly to ATT. It is a pay as you go plan. I have been watching this since May. I did a bunch of googling and went on some obscure forums. Here is what I learned. ATT had a plan for I pads. It was similar to the Mobley deal. Unlimited! Some people are using 600 gb a month! No throttling. Apparently an ATT employee showed someone how to get this plan.Is it illegal? Probably not. Is it wrong. I think it may be. But no worse than some one who puts his Mobley sim in another device and uses it in his home. But like all things that are too good to be  true it will be short lived. You have to use an ATT device unless you know how to set up something else.  Originally you had to have an Ipad to sign up online. Now you just put it in any tablet. I don't know if it works in phones. I think there was someone in this forum who referred to a company that charges about $65 a month for the exact same setup. That is all I know. I would still like a recommendation on a hotspot. There are some discussions on Howard Forums about this setup. Thanks

I asked this question on another thread and didn't get any responses.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the 8800L with the prepaid unlimited data plan, instead of having to start with a something different (online gives only the choice of MHS990L and 7730L).

Since I don't have a Verizon Jetpack I'd rather not have to buy one that I will immediately replace with the 8800L. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 minute ago, carstrom said:

We just purchased an 8800L and were able to get the prepaid unlimited plan. We purchased the 8800L at a Verizon Corporate store ($200) and they handled getting the prepaid plan setup for us..

Thanks!  I've tried online and it seems to be a no-go.  I'll find the nearest corporate store and give them a try. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 2 months later...

I have separate hotspot because my phone is pretty basic to be used as an international device (doesn’t support all the UMTS bands, LTE, CDMA etc.). I went with Pantech MHS291LVW from Verizon (I got it unlocked here in Ukraine) which gives around 10 hours of battery life and up to 5 connected devices. It works great with UMTS and CDMA but I wish it supported more of the LTE bands. LTE is just crazy, each country uses different sets of frequencies so if you go with a device make sure it does support as much as possible (also, some Qualcomm processors do support most of the LTE frequencies but are locked by the network provider, so in theory they could be unlocked, but my opinion, better buy something ready-made). So, in my opinion really the biggest plus is the battery life of a pocket hotspot, otherwise, you could use your phone as well.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:02 PM, Bobbyb said:

I would still like a recommendation on a hotspot. 

It is true that the prepaid tablet plans 'just work' in hotspots. And you are correct that it's not within terms of service - sounds like you are going in eyes wide open on that.

As far as hotspots... the most current model on the AT&T network is the Netgear Nighthawk (our overview of it)

But what is best for you really depends no what your criteria is for 'best'. Here's also our guide to understanding LTE modem spec so you can learn more: LTE Modem Specs

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

We've been very happy with the performance of our Netgear Unite Explore 815s hotspot with our AT&T unlimited plan. Our Novatel 6620L Jetpack is also performing well for us on our Verizon unlimited plan, although I expect we'll run into missing newer band issues at some point that will necessitate an upgrade.

Dutch

I have used the hotspot with both ATT and Verizon for a number of years. I used whichever one had the better reception. But as we all know the unlimited is not really unlimited! Now I use a device from ATT at $70 per month for 50G and they don't slow you down after the 50G. They just charge you more per additional 10G. Only once did I go over with a granddaughter staying with us and she used lots. We take the ATT device with us when we go RVing. We are pleased with the speed and we also use it at home with excellent results and we were able to get rid of our Hughes Net which was $65 per month and we had it for many years. The ATT device is a lot faster then Hughes NET. Good Luck

I disagree with the statement, "But as we all know the unlimited is not really unlimited!" We've gone well over 100GB with both our AT&T and Verizon unlimited data plans a number of times, with no throttling and just minimal brief slowdowns on congested towers that didn't interfere with streaming.

Dutch

6 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I disagree with the statement, "But as we all know the unlimited is not really unlimited!" We've gone well over 100GB with both our AT&T and Verizon unlimited data plans a number of times, with no throttling and just minimal brief slowdowns on congested towers that didn't interfere with streaming.

I have the same experience.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 12/8/2018 at 5:31 PM, docj said:

I second this comment.  Mine works great.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

1 hour ago, edatlanta said:

I second this comment.  Mine works great.

I agree with the second part of Joel's post, but the first part is certainly not true for those of us with AT&T's Connected Car Plan.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I agree with the second part of Joel's post, but the first part is certainly not true for those of us with AT&T's Connected Car Plan.

My statement referred to "currently available" AT&T plans.  The Mobley plan came back for a couple of days this past month, but AFAIK it is, once again, no longer available. It's "available" only to those who already have it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, docj said:

My statement referred to "currently available" AT&T plans.  The Mobley plan came back for a couple of days this past month, but AFAIK it is, once again, no longer available. It's "available" only to those who already have it.

Actually, it is still available on a limited basis to certain vehicle owners. I do agree though, the plan is not available to the general public currently.

Dutch

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am a little late to the party. I currently do not have a hotspot but probably will this summer when we hit the road. That is why this thread caught my attention. Am I correct when I say all this discussion is about a separate piece of hardware? I use Consumer Cellular (ATT towers). They have offered to turn my iphone into a hot spot for a monthly charge.  I do not recall how much at the moment. Instead of throttling when you reach a certain amount of data they kick you up to the next higher plan. Any comment on using your cell phone as a hot spot? 

On 3/10/2019 at 7:06 AM, Friz said:

Any comment on using your cell phone as a hot spot? 

There's nothing wrong with using your phone as a hotspot, it's all about the plan you have to do it under.  Most smartphone plans limit the amount of 4G/LTE data per month for hotspot usage.  When that is exceeded the speed of the connection drops significantly.

As for Consumer Cellular, it's primarily a service marketed to people who don't expect to use much data. It's largest monthly plan is 20GB and if you exceed that your speed drops and you are charged $5/GB for the excess.  Furthermore, if you use more than 30GB in a month you may be shut down until the next billing period.  The attached screenshot is from the Consumer Cellular website.  IMHO if you're planning to use a significant amount of data you should change carriers.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

3 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

What vehicle owners is it available to?

The plan was offered to Chrysler product/Uconnect owners:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-20-month-unlimited-mobley-plan-back-for-a-limited-time-via-uconnect-chrysler-mopar-email-campaign/

Dutch

When people sign up for a plan they are generally required to live up to that agreement. When I signed up with ATT internet it is to run for 12 months under the terms at that time. The agreement I entered into gave me the option of when and if I go over the 50G limit they can slow it down, if they want or need to, or if I agree they will charge for 10Gs additional.