Smart Car 451 Tire and Rim Size

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Here's a place I've bought a couple items from.

https://smartmadness.com/451-wheels-tires-upgrades.html

I got a set of rear OE takeoff rims for the front so I could have the same size on all 4. When the original tires wore out I put the size the tire shop said fit a Toyota Yaris. I'd have to go look to be sure, but I want to say they're 185/70 size. They JUST fit. Any bigger and they would rub in the wheel well in a tight turn.

On edit, I bet they could turn you on to a cruise control. I had mine done at a Car Toys that was literally next door to smart in Seattle, so it had cruise control from day one.

Edited by Buscrusher

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Can't find Big 5'er's "other post", but we're X2 on that. Put a set of rear size tires on the front & call 'er done. Looks a little odd but works fine.  We did that because the fronts were so weird to find. Yes, the rims WILL work.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

13 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Also, need to find a Cruise Control for it.... but if I remember right, Rocky is the designated installer!

I'm all for smartmadness for the purchase of the Cruise Control.  But Jim, your memory is getting pretty foggy! 😟 My good friend Brad😉 has all the skills (and body size) to install.😎  I won't be installing much for quite some time yet.  Just started upper body exercises at rehab yesterday!  6 more weeks to go and then I'll be able to play football!  That's kind of like "Will I be able to play the piano after hand surgery?"!!!!!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

3 hours ago, adept99 said:

Can't find Big 5'er's "other post", but we're X2 on that. Put a set of rear size tires on the front & call 'er done. Looks a little odd but works fine.  We did that because the fronts were so weird to find. Yes, the rims WILL work.

Paul

I posted in Jim's other smart thread. I said: 195/50/15 for the tire size. Same diameter as original so no adjustment in the speedometer reading. Check out Tirerack.com for the wheels. 6" wide wheels will fit all the way around and you'll be able to rotate the tires. Save one of the skinny fronts for a spare

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hey Jim

Smartmadness: Cruise Control - MDC 451 - it includes an adjustable throttle booster as a bonus. (Call them to order the part to make sure it is sent properly)

It took me about 1 hour to install. Follow the given instructions carefully and make sure the electrical connections snap together well.  Rocky's contribution was loaning me a particular socket that I did not have - thank you Rocky and get well soon.

The only observed (very minor) issue is an infrequent random drop out.

The throttle booster is awesome - it reduces some of the delay when depressing the throttle. I think ours is currently set to 3 (of 5).

Edited by TreyandSusan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

6 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

I'm all for smartmadness for the purchase of the Cruise Control.  But Jim, your memory is getting pretty foggy! 😟 My good friend Brad😉 has all the skills (and body size) to install.😎  I won't be installing much for quite some time yet.  Just started upper body exercises at rehab yesterday!  6 more weeks to go and then I'll be able to play football!  That's kind of like "Will I be able to play the piano after hand surgery?"!!!!!!!

I seem to remember a rally or pre-rally where a group order was done for the cruise controls.  I thought you had been elected for the under dash work for some reason.... 

Thanks for all the replies.  Already have Smart Madness bookmarked.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim,

There was an earlier post where some of us got together and bought cruise controls.  There is a link to the ones we bought in the post.

Installation is easy for this one.  Some need some pin changes to a connector on the back right.  This one does not. Also, no need to run a wire under the floorrmat from the rear to the front.

A couple of things I learned:

1. When installing the circuit board near the foot pedal, tie wrap it in place or the tension on the wires will pull it out of the connector.   Smart will only do about 35mph when it happens. 😒

2. If you are going to install the optional LED indicator light, drill the hole where there is very little light or the sunlight will make it so you can't see the LED.  Frankly, it serves very little purpose.  But if I were to do it again, I would mount it on the bottom side of the top of the cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. 

Edited by NeverEasy

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

19 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I seem to remember a rally or pre-rally where a group order was done for the cruise controls.  I thought you had been elected for the under dash work for some reason.... 

Thanks for all the replies.  Already have Smart Madness bookmarked.

Jim that was the rally 2 years ago. Mr. COB tried to organize getting a group discount but I don't know how many took advantage of that. Rocky already had the unit and I installed both of them at the rally. (After Rocky finally located his). Guess he put things away to well.

It is not a hard install just be sure to follow the directions carefully. And double and triple check the plugs in the box before using the little zip tie to secure them in the box.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

When we needed new tires I put the 175 rears on the stock front rims and 195 on stock rear rims.  Works well.   Moved from 155 fronts and 175 rears. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

As the title says, What size aftermarket tires and rims fit the 2013 Smart 451?  

Also, need to find a Cruise Control for it.... but if I remember right, Rocky is the designated installer!

Jim forgive my ignorance but where do I find info on my car?  It's a 2015 Brabus.   What denotes it being a 450/451/452 etc,etc.  I really don't know myself.

Thanks

Ben