Jackalopee Install, Directlink next

PaHunter

Well today wired up the jackalopee, both sides, and then wired the rv plug, turned the truck on and no led's in the box are lit. Are they supposed to light ?? All connections were crimped in place and heat sealed. Not sure what I am missing ??

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

trailer is on the other side of the yard. Watched Gregg's video again, rechecked truck and low and behold, plug was not pushed in all the way. Crammed the plug all the way in and it seems to be working, the little led's are now lighting with the brakes and turn signals, Yea !!!!

• PaHunter changed the title to Jackalopee Install, Directlink next

Sounds like you have it hooked up right.  Just installed my directlink and one way I could tell it was working with the Jackalopee was using the manual lever on the controller while the wife watched the brake LED.  If it got brighter as you increased brake (wife looking) it is probably fully functional.

Putting on Disc brakes on trailer this weekend and our setup should give us great braking control...

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Today found me wiring up the direclink brake controller, pretty straight forward. Seems to be working, have to hook up to the trailer and do a light test. Need the hitch installed so I can test pull. Only thing left to do for wiring is to bring the backup light wire from the back of the tandem up to the jackalopee. Rain is threatening now and don't want to be in the middle when it hits. She is coming along, good thing, only 17 days left until camping trip.

Well directlink installed but not working correctly. It is showing OK on the screen. When I use the thumb activator, it shows the brakes being applied, hooked to trailer could hear brakes activate. When I hit the brakes, no brake activation and nothing showing on the controller. Not sure what I am missing, or maybe got a bad unit ?

2 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

You are installing this on an HDT right?  Does the truck have air pressure?

Yep, installing on our 2012 Volvo. Truck was aired up and running. We tried with it hooked to the trailer even. When we use the trigger to manually activate it works fine, can hear brakes engage on trailer. When we apply truck brakes, nothing. Brakes lights activate, but no bar and can not hear brakes activate.

There is something called brake scale, what others call gain control.  You will probably have to increase the setting if you have a large trailer.  I am not sure how the Direct Link works,  does it send power to the brakes if the truck is stationary?  I believe it picks up info from the speed sensors among other parameters.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

10 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Were you moving?

No I was not moving, we do not have a hitch on the truck yet. But during his video, Gregg applied his brakes and it showed up on the display as a red bar. We have nothing.

22 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I would recheck every connection and then call Direct Link tomorrow.

Have double checked, triple checked and plan on calling them tomorrow, although being Sunday not sure if anyone will be there. If not will call again Monday.

So ran out to truck, fired it up. Put truck in drive, released parking brake and still nothing. I can hear the brake light led click on in the jackalopee, but no bar across screen. Manually bar to 100 no problem. Checked faults, none. On information screens showing temp, rpm, brake voltage when brakes applied. So far this group has been so very helpful. Just baffled here.

The direclink has a number of settings for how the brakes work in various conditions. One of them has to do with what you want the trailer brakes to do when not moving. There is also a low speed setting. 

So, double check the manual menu options and your settings.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Hi PaHunter, I just hooked mine up this weekend also.  Tomorrow I will be driving to pick up our camper.  This will also be the first trial of the Directlink for me.  I can't tell you what it's doing or not doing because we started up the truck, saw the OK and had to leave.  No trailer at home to plug into and seem to have misplaced my new trailer plug tester.  Sorry I'm no help today maybe tomorrow?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

19 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

The direclink has a number of settings for how the brakes work in various conditions. One of them has to do with what you want the trailer brakes to do when not moving. There is also a low speed setting. 

So, double check the manual menu options and your settings.

The stopped setting is on 10 percent and when i hit the brakes that lights up. Taking the truck to town tomorrow, so will see what it does at speed.

21 hours ago, PaHunter said:

So ran out to truck, fired it up. Put truck in drive, released parking brake and still nothing. I can hear the brake light led click on in the jackalopee, but no bar across screen. Manually bar to 100 no problem. Checked faults, none. On information screens showing temp, rpm, brake voltage when brakes applied. So far this group has been so very helpful. Just baffled here.

If the truck is not moving the direct link does not read speed at trans and speed at the abs sensors no braking needed. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

1 hour ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

If the truck is not moving the direct link does not read speed at trans and speed at the abs sensors no braking needed. 

Roger

Cool. Keeping my fingers crossed. Now it is just a matter of getting hitch mounted to the truck.

Archived