Wastemaster Sewer Hose and Storage

Chad Heiser

I was asked in another thread about my Waste Master Sewer Hose and storage that I installed on my 5th wheel.  I installed the new Waste Master hose kit and storage system on my 5th wheel back in May of 2017.  So far I have been extremely happy with the system.  It is definitely a pricey system, but I feel it is well worth the price for the quality and convenience. 

First off, the sewer hose attaches with an industrial cam lock rather than a typical RV bayonet fitting.  The cam lock is completely water tight and has never leaked on me.  I could never say this for any bayonet fittings I have ever used. 

Secondly, the sewer hose is smooth on the inside.  This allows waste to flow much better through the hose.  The hose will also hold it's shape if it is stepped on or whatever - it pops back to the way it was before.  It also will stay at a particular length when it is deployed.  The hose "locks" at whatever length you pull it to. 

Finally, the head on the hose has a large handle along with an open/close valve and a see through fitting.  The head is completely water tight when it is closed.  It has not leaked or dripped at all.  The large handle makes it easy to grab and put in place.  The head is not removable from the hose.  This is a plus in that it makes the system more leak proof, but it is a minus when it comes to stowing the hose.  The hose will fit in a typical tube carrier, but the head will not.  This is why I also purchased the storage system they offer. 

The storage system is a large ABS carrier that mounts under the 5th wheel next to the discharge line.  It mounts with a metal plate to the frame of the 5th wheel.  The sewer hose stays connected to the trailer outlet and enters the carrier through the side.  The carrier has a large locking door on the front of it that opens to give you access to the hose.  When you need it, you simply pull it out and put it in place.  When you are done with it, you put it back in the storage system container.  Everything stays outside, under the 5th wheel.  No more messy hoses or bins inside the basement. 

I also purchased a few accessories just in case.  I bought a second length of hose with a cam lock adapter to put the two hoses together in case I ever need any extra length (so far the primary 20' hose has been enough and I have not needed the extension hose).  I also bought a cam lock to bayonet fitting adapter in case I ever need to connect to a standard sewer hose for any reason.

The installation of the system was pretty straight forward.  It does require cutting your existing sewer line to mate it up to the new carrier system.  Here is what I started with on my 5er.

CvQL32Rl.jpg

I cut the sewer pipe off and added the Cam Lock fitting.

rD6J1iKl.jpg

After dry fitting the storage container to make sure everything lined up, I installed the mount.

pijJBr3l.jpg

After cutting the hole to allow the hose to pass through, I installed the carrier.

GR9zj9ul.jpg

Then it was a simple matter of connecting the hose through the carrier.

xWiyqsjl.jpg

Then placing the hose all the way into the carrier for storage.

AHBDMN2l.jpg

My trailer has a generator installed.  The exhaust pipe for the generator came out where I needed to install the carrier.  As a result, I shortened the generator exhaust pipe to move the outlet for it farther forward on the trailer (still not under a slide).  This placed the exhaust pipe running under my sewer outlet pipe.  I was a little concerned the heat from the exhaust pipe would cause issues with the sewer pipe, so I made a heat shield out of aluminum and duct insulation.  I also wrapped the exhaust pipe with exhaust insulation.

GdnvqjXl.jpg

The carrier is only big enough to carry the primary sewer hose.  The extension hose and other fittings I bought needed to be stored somewhere else.  I did not want them in the basement, so I bought a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe 6" round and installed it under my 5er next to the new carrier.  I used these to mount the pipe and to enclose the ends.

537mb5Jl.jpg

The pipe mounts were a little tricky because my framing on my DRV is tubular.  If I had exposed I-Beam it would have been very simple.  Ultimately I installed the mounts in the 2" spacer my suspension mounts to under the frame.  The front bolts were easy yo get to.  Just reach in through the end of the tube.  The back bolts, not so much.  I ended up drilling holes in the back side of the tubing to be able to get a nut on the mount bracket in the tube.

tRgSYl0l.jpg

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Great Job, thanks for sharing! It's on my I am A-Gonna list for the new trailer!   I had two 6 inch square tubes with plastic rain gutters inside to carry hose on our old trailer, so it was too easy to transfer to new trailer.

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Good , detailed write up. Thanks! I wasn't even aware of something like this. I did have a question though. You said "Secondly, the sewer hose is smooth on the inside.  This allows waste to flow much better through the hose.  The hose will also hold it's shape if it is stepped on or whatever - it pops back to the way it was before." How is this any different than say a Thetford Titan hose which is also crush resistant? Your picture looks as though this is still a "slinky"-type hose construction.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Thanks for that chad ,I have the same hose only blue (ultimate sewer hose) they sold themselves and I never knew who got the product.

Ya- smooth on the inside  and tough ,mine is 10 years old .I love the box to receive the head ,it is so big (head)that I had to notch the 6" drain pipe I use for storage.

I  fastened the pipe across the back /bottom of the sleeper of my truck ,less bending at my age the better ,although the car makes it awkward when it 'on deck'

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Question the durability of it. We/I get long term jobs sometimes. Hose stays out in hot sun. A year long sometimes. Sun dries them out and they split. 

glenn -  mine is out almost all summer ,granted northern climate.......  but 10 years now.Worth it to me.

weed wacker proof too .a piece of evtrough could shade the cheapee

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Thanks for the nice write up Chad.  Yes, a little expensive for our ministry budget as most of our $$ goes south to improve conditions at orphanages in Mexico.

Was wondering though, how a collapsed hose has no wrinkles on the interior? 

Looks like a nice system to deal with the not so nice part of RVing.  But there is always a cost.  I kinda like the idea of having interior switches for electric valves on my tanks, but worry about that strange time when I dump and 5 minutes later find out I had an "explosion" of my drain hose!!!!! Ha!  not a happy thought!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

My Carriage trailer came from the factory with the Wastemaster system ten years ago.  I was excited about it until the first time I used it.  Two complaints.  The first time I dumped my tank, the hose stretched out to thirty feet like a slinky gone wild, even though I was only six feet from the sewer.  It didn't hold it's shape like a Rhino or some others.  Also, the valve didn't screw into the sewer connection, so I had to stand over it to make sure it didn't jump out when I dumped.  Have those two issues been changed?

As far as cost, if this system lasts for ten years, then the $140 initial cost is less than I've spent on Rhino systems during that time period.  I usually get 1 to 1 1/2 years from the Rhino.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Good , detailed write up. Thanks! I wasn't even aware of something like this. I did have a question though. You said "Secondly, the sewer hose is smooth on the inside.  This allows waste to flow much better through the hose.  The hose will also hold it's shape if it is stepped on or whatever - it pops back to the way it was before." How is this any different than say a Thetford Titan hose which is also crush resistant? Your picture looks as though this is still a "slinky"-type hose construction.

The smooth inside and holding shape benefits are similar to other systems on the market.  I simply mentioned them because they are a benefit of the system.  I really like the cam lock vs. the bayonet fittings and the head with an on off valve.  This basically makes the system a flexible, no leaking extension of the existing sewer pipe.  I have intentionally dumped my tanks without opening the valve on the head of the hose.  Nothing leaked and nothing came out at any connection point.  Because the hose stays connected all the time in the carrier, it is a nice secondary safety device in case of a waste gate failure.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I have looked at this hose for years. Always intrigued me. I can get a cheap hose anywhere. Cutting off bonnet concerns me

I initially wasn't sure whether cutting off the bayonet fitting was such a good idea just in case I had to go back to another hose or when I wanted to use my blue boy tank (which only has a bayonet fitting hose on it).  Waste master sells a simple cam lock to bayonet fitting adapter that allows you to use any type of bayonet fitting hose you would like (just in case).  I have one of these fittings and it makes my dump line function just like it did before I cut the old fitting off.  The only difference being the hose now has the 90 degree turn in it instead of the sewer pipe because of where the connection is now.

event.png    

4 hours ago, hone eagle said:

glenn -  mine is out almost all summer ,granted northern climate.......  but 10 years now.Worth it to me.

weed wacker proof too .a piece of evtrough could shade the cheapee

I obviously don't have that much time in use with my system, but that is good to hear about the longevity of your system.  All the research I did showed that the hoses lasted a long time and that they were fairly impervious to outside issues (like weed wackers).  I personally don't leave my sewer hose sitting out anyway.  With the carrier system, the hose is always attached to the trailer.  When I want to dump, all I need to do is open the carrier door and pull the hose out and put it in the drain hole.  This only takes a few seconds.  I have to go outside to the area anyway to pull the dump valves, so the extra step of pulling the hose out is no big deal to me.  If my hose was stored somewhere else and had to be put together each time, I would be more likely to set it up and leave it in place all the time.  With this system, it is a few seconds to deploy it and a few seconds to stow it, so that is what I do.  This should also help with longevity because it isn't constantly exposed to the elements.

event.png    

2 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Was wondering though, how a collapsed hose has no wrinkles on the interior? 

I'm not sure how they accomplish the smooth interior of the hose, but it stays smooth whether collapsed or extended.

event.png    

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

My Carriage trailer came from the factory with the Wastemaster system ten years ago.  I was excited about it until the first time I used it.  Two complaints.  The first time I dumped my tank, the hose stretched out to thirty feet like a slinky gone wild, even though I was only six feet from the sewer.  It didn't hold it's shape like a Rhino or some others.  Also, the valve didn't screw into the sewer connection, so I had to stand over it to make sure it didn't jump out when I dumped.  Have those two issues been changed?

As far as cost, if this system lasts for ten years, then the $140 initial cost is less than I've spent on Rhino systems during that time period.  I usually get 1 to 1 1/2 years from the Rhino.

I have not had any issue with the hose stretching when I dump.  It has popped out a rung or two on the initial whoosh of a full tank, but not completely stretched out as you describe.  We will see how this plays out over time.  You are correct that the valve does not screw into the dump.  The head has a large rubber donut on it that can be stuck into the dump opening.  This along with the weight of the head assembly has been plenty to keep it in place every time I have dumped so far.  The only dump station where I have had an issue was at a pay to dump station that had a lever valve over the dump that would only open after you inserted a credit card in the pay station.  It was a little difficult to get the large head assembly in place next to the lever valve, but with a little bit of coaxing I was able to get it done.

event.png    

50 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

A neighbor in a park earlier this year (fellow Teton owner) had this system. It was very nice and all solid PVC. 

http://ezekleensystem.com/ . Anyone else have any experience with it? 

Those were an OEM option on Excel trailers until they went out of business.  I think the developer was an employee of Excel if I remember correctly (I could be wrong on that).  Anyway, after Excel went out of business, he went out on his own and is selling them as an aftermarket add on.  I know Rick S has it on his Excel Wild Cargo toy hauler.  He may be able to give some specific information if he sees this post, or maybe you could PM him if you are really interested.

event.png    

56 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That wouldn't work where we parked now. Sewer connection on wrong side. Has to go under and curve around tire.

he sells extra couplings to snake around corners if needed. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived