Ordering a new truck

Don_T

I am ready to order a new truck to pull my 5th wheel. I am an Escapees member in Texas and I want to title/register the truck in Texas. I am in New Hampshire for the winter. I am thinking about ordering a truck from a dealer in Indianapolis, because of  the price, but then I have to take delivery and drive it to Texas to do the title/registration. Has anyone here ordered or bought a truck from a dealer in the Livingston TX area and had good results as far as pricing and ease of buying? I do have the option of buying through the dealer in Indianapolis and having it delivered to a dealer in Livingston, if one of them is willing to do this. Any thoughts?

You don't have to drive the vehicle to Texas for title and registration. We are Escapees with domicile in Texas. Last January we traded trucks in Georgia. The dealer provided us with all the necessary paperwork and we titled and registered the truck by mail with the Polk County tax office in Livingston. Everything went very well! I would buy a truck wherever you find the truck you want at a good price and take care of the rest by mail.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

4 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

You don't have to drive the vehicle to Texas for title and registration. We are Escapees with domicile in Texas. Last January we traded trucks in Georgia. The dealer provided us with all the necessary paperwork and we titled and registered the truck by mail with the Polk County tax office in Livingston. Everything went very well! I would buy a truck wherever you find the truck you want at a good price and take care of the rest by mail.

Rob

What about taxes would he have to pay taxes where he bought it and then retax when registering in Texas ?

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I bought in Montana and registered/paid taxes in South Dakota.  You just make that clear when you are buying the truck and they'll know what  to do.  You only pay taxes in one state.

I got a temporary registration (30 days I think) from Montana so it was street legal, then dealt with getting up to snuff with South Dakota later. 

We bought from Bounds Dodge/Chev in Livingston. One thing to remember that trucks are Number One in Texas. Truck sales in Texas are a cut throat business. Dealers have large inventory of trucks on lots. Cars go to the rear of sales lots. Bounds beat the Houston area dealers easily and were great to buy from.

I wouldn't go to Bounds. My experience has been that you can do better with the Houston area dealers on price. A friend just bought from Bounds. It was a Ram 3500 DRW, diesel, long bed and a very upscale trim. MSRP $78,000 and he paid $65,000. Good Luck If you are looking for a Ford, Joe Meyers has had some of the best prices around Houston. One half of registrations in Texas are pickups. Good Luck

I bought my truck in MD and they registered it in SD.  I think my dealer used a service that registers vehicles nationally.  I left with a temp tag and then they mailed me my SD tags when they received them.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I just priced a 2018 chevy LT (mid trim level) dually at Classic in Dallas, $53k ($57k out the door). I was looking a 15 model w/120000k miles for $39k on CL. For $14k before tax, the difference doesn't pay to get a used truck.

When I talked to a former local MIch dealer this summer, sales person said I could not take delivery of the vehicle at his dealership until the TX plate and registration was received, meaning I couldn't get a Mich temp plate now that I was a TX resident. I figured he didn't know what he was talking about, but his price was also $57 out the door for a 17 model.

Greg

5 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I just priced a 2018 chevy LT (mid trim level) dually at Classic in Dallas, $53k ($57k out the door). I was looking a 15 model w/120000k miles for $39k on CL. For $14k before tax, the difference doesn't pay to get a used truck.

When I talked to a former local MIch dealer this summer, sales person said I could not take delivery of the vehicle at his dealership until the TX plate and registration was received, meaning I couldn't get a Mich temp plate now that I was a TX resident. I figured he didn't know what he was talking about, but his price was also $57 out the door for a 17 model.

Greg

A few years back we bought a Miata at a Lansing Michigan area Ford dealer as South Dakota residents. Paid cash left without paying Michigan sales tax, with title and Michigan temp tags that afternoon. This was "cash" as in a cashier's check from a local credit union service center. This last November we bought a '14 Flex in Mobile AL to replace our '03 Sport Trac, the dealer wouldn't give us the title with a local cashier's check from a Wells Fargo branch a 1/2 mile away, said we'd have to wait on it and they'd mail it in 5-6 days. This time we got "cash in a brown paper sack" from the bank  and had our deal done in about an hour and on our way with title, temp plates and no state sales tax for AL. Years ago we had a title we had to track down that was supposed to be "mailed in a few days" with the temp plated extended at least once, never again, we must see the title before we'll deal.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

On 11/16/2017 at 9:50 AM, Second Chance said:

Rob

I am hoping it will be this easy. I am concerned with the requirement of a state inspection certificate for the registration. The dealer I ordered the truck through is looking into the ways we can do the title and registration.

10 hours ago, Mike and Claudia said:

Don't know whether they are there still or not but there used to be a BIG Chevy dealership in Hempstead, TX which is not too far from Livingston.  They did a tremendous business with lots of fleet deals.  You might check there.  This was about 20 years ago or so.

That place went under several years ago. They did a huge volume. If I remember right one of the Houston Oiler players was one of the owners.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, Don_T said:

I am hoping it will be this easy. I am concerned with the requirement of a state inspection certificate for the registration. The dealer I ordered the truck through is looking into the ways we can do the title and registration.

Not a problem. All you have to do is certify the truck is out of state and have it inspected the next time you are in Texas. We have to do it this way every year when we renew the registration on each of our three vehicles. Call the Polk County Tax office and they can step you through everything.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 11/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, Don_T said:

That place went under several years ago. They did a huge volume. If I remember right one of the Houston Oiler players was one of the owners.

Like they say:  Easy come, Easy go.

In their day they did a tremendous amount of business.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

On 11/16/2017 at 3:03 PM, whj469 said:

I wouldn't go to Bounds. My experience has been that you can do better with the Houston area dealers on price. A friend just bought from Bounds. It was a Ram 3500 DRW, diesel, long bed and a very upscale trim. MSRP $78,000 and he paid $65,000. Good Luck If you are looking for a Ford, Joe Meyers has had some of the best prices around Houston. One half of registrations in Texas are pickups. Good Luck

We got the same truck, for about the same price in September, a Limited with all the trimmings, from Bluebonnet in New Braunfels. I'll bet today you could get $20k off that truck but remember that stock is dwindling quickly near year end. They have an amazing stock of trucks and yes cars are on the rear lots.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Archived