Trailer Saver Hitch

jcsteele

So I just bought this for pennies on the dollar and was pretty excited about it (truck has been grounded for awhile waiting on a hitch) until I started doing some deeper research. Someone on the Facebook HDT group ask if the pins were still good (they appear to be pretty tight) and that got me digging deeper. I have a triple axle (18K GVWR) Travel Supreme and am wondering if the small airbags are going to cushion enough, and if my pins will wear out... I feel pretty discouraged... unfortunately, an ET hitch just is not in the budget. I am doing the HDT route simply because I travel 50K+ miles a year AND want to be safe hauling my "mobile" home, not because I am retired and can do whatever I would like :-)

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

?ui=2&ik=004e60cd61&view=fimg&th=15f3375

Thanks!

My Travel Supreme checked in at 20,000 lbs and my pin weight (measured by RVSEF) was 4500 lbs.  That is in the range of a two air bag TrailerSaver hitch (5000 lbs).  You can add the third air bag for a 7500 lb pin capacity. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Trailersaver makes different models with different ratings so if you provide the ratings and the model number a better analysis could be given.

As Mark said, on some TS hitch models the vertical load rating can be increased by the addition of a third air bag (if your measured pin weight exceeds the pin weight rating).

Pin weights can vary greatly depending on how an individual owner loads their vehicle, so you need to measure your trailers pin weight to determine the actual load on your trailer.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I ran the heavier Trailersaver for 10 years with an HDT with up to 6500 bs pin weight and varying GVW up to 22,000 lbs. I had no real wear on the hitch.  We were full timers all that time, and double towed most of it. If you have the right one, and maintain it you should have a successful experience would be my opinion.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

To check the head pins for wear, use a steel ruler and measure the vertical and horizontal play in the pin bushings. 

I remember 0.25 allowable tolerance.  Contact Hensley to get the correct tolerance for the binkley head   

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

jcsteele, I was the one that brought up about the pin wear on the HDT group and only because I had done some reading on it and it was brought up in some of the seminars an the HDT rally on why many of the other hitches used on HDT's are getting away from the binkley head. It's still a good head and I would think it takes a long time to wear one out, but they can wear out. I didn't post it to have you stress over it, just something to be aware of. You got a great deal on your TS3, but it also appeared to be an older unit, so just something to keep in mind if it had been used a lot, but maybe it hadn't. I bought a used TS3 that also has the shocks on it and it didn't seem to have much wear. I'm carrying about 19k lbs on it after we got weighed at the rally and I'm not worried about excessive wear. My trailer rides great on my TS3 and I'm very happy with it and you are in the same range as me. My binkley head seems pretty tight and if it ever needs replaced way down the road I can decide then if it's worth it or maybe a updgrade to a different hitch at that time? I'm definitely not stressing over it.  

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

jcsteele, I was the one that brought up about the pin wear on the HDT group and only because I had done some reading on it and it was brought up in some of the seminars an the HDT rally on why many of the other hitches used on HDT's are getting away from the binkley head. It's still a good head and I would think it takes a long time to wear one out, but they can wear out. I didn't post it to have you stress over it, just something to be aware of. You got a great deal on your TS3, but it also appeared to be an older unit, so just something to keep in mind if it had been used a lot, but maybe it hadn't. I bought a used TS3 that also has the shocks on it and it didn't seem to have much wear. I'm carrying about 19k lbs on it after we got weighed at the rally and I'm not worried about excessive wear. My trailer rides great on my TS3 and I'm very happy with it and you are in the same range as me. My binkley head seems pretty tight and if it ever needs replaced way down the road I can decide then if it's worth it or maybe a updgrade to a different hitch at that time? I'm definitely not stressing over it.  

No, don't feel bad, I was just mentioning that after you brought that up, I got to researching more. I only found 2 things in my research and it was: that the small airbags dont cushion enough on heavier trailers and that the pins wear out. So, I was just getting opinions from a larger group. I appreciate all your info! 

1 hour ago, MrSeas said:

22528394_10210640302109156_5678509148081075146_n.jpg?oh=9b632e2eab8589b2353d82807ed32f34&oe=5A6D736E

I believe this is the model the OP has.....A previous "older" model with the built-in shocks.

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/ts3-air-ride-hitch/

This is the model most folks use that tow heavier trailers.....some with the "third" air bag.

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/tslb2h-air-ride-hitch/

Yes that is my picture! Does it not show up on my original post??? I does on my end....

I will mention too, besides having the shocks, you can definitely tell its an old model because it says it only has a GVWR of 22K but a pin weight of 5K.... wonder what else changed to raise the overall rating but drop the pin rating in the newer model? 

1 hour ago, jcsteele said:

I will mention too, besides having the shocks, you can definitely tell its an old model because it says it only has a GVWR of 22K but a pin weight of 5K.... wonder what else changed to raise the overall rating but drop the pin rating in the newer model? 

Yeah, that's interesting because mine is only rated at 4500 pin weight and GTW of 20k. Mine has the shocks also but they are oriented in the opposite direction as yours?  

IMG_20171019_140101194-L.jpg

IMG_20171019_140052357-L.jpg

2017-06-19%2017.07.47-L.jpg

2017-06-19%2017.07.27-L.jpg

Mine has the bult in air compressor and height adjustment. That's what that little bar is on the back with a magnet on it to set the ride height at the white line 
2017-06-19%2017.07.39-L.jpg

Interesting enough, when I bought mine, it was acutally mounted in a slider frame so it could work in a short bed pickup.
2017-05-13%2014.07.56-L.jpg

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

The fifth wheel mounted on that Trailer Saver looks like an off the shelf Holland model FW001 8000 lbs pin 30,000 lbs trailer weight capacity? 

My truck has one with 300,000 miles on it ...

RV work shouldn’t wear it out too bad...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Yeah, that's interesting because mine is only rated at 4500 pin weight and GTW of 20k. Mine has the shocks also but they are oriented in the opposite direction as yours?  

IMG_20171019_140101194-L.jpg

IMG_20171019_140052357-L.jpg

2017-06-19%2017.07.47-L.jpg

2017-06-19%2017.07.27-L.jpg

Mine has the bult in air compressor and height adjustment. That's what that little bar is on the back with a magnet on it to set the ride height at the white line 
2017-06-19%2017.07.39-L.jpg

Interesting enough, when I bought mine, it was acutally mounted in a slider frame so it could work in a short bed pickup.
2017-05-13%2014.07.56-L.jpg

Another interesting difference is that mine has a slanted back on it.... hmmm

Have you found a good way to grease the pins in question?

1 hour ago, noteven said:

The fifth wheel mounted on that Trailer Saver looks like an off the shelf Holland model FW001 8000 lbs pin 30,000 lbs trailer weight capacity? 

My truck has one with 300,000 miles on it ...

RV work shouldn’t wear it out too bad...

Trailersaver down rates the pin weight to 7500lb on the 3 air bags, or 5000lb on 2 air bags.  But they increase the tow rating to 32k.  Might be in the mounting system.  

My Trailer Saver is an ancient model, 2002 era.  It's getting a little play in the head itself.  The swing arm, pins and frame are in great shape.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived