Pulling single bottom dump trailer with HDT/MH

dennisvr

I just bought 7 acres of land and have to bring in about 7 to 10 loads of fill dirt.  Was thinking what it would cost to have it trucked in and then thought what about putting a 5th wheel hitch back on my HDT and using one of my nephews bottom dump trailers and bring it in myself.
Here's my dilemma, is it legal to pull a bottom dump trailer that has a CA PTI license plate with my HDT which is registered as a motorhome? 
Anyone know if its legal ?  "Chad" ??????????

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Your nephew won't cut you a deal you can refuse ?

He would, but he inherited a farm with a lot of equipment, backhoe, excavator, D4 Cat, set of bottom dumps and lots of tractors, and equipment trailer, but no truck to pull large trailers down the road.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

You need to find a local independent trucker, and tell him you need to hire him and his truck for a day for cash, the next time he has some downtime between loads and needs the money.  Surely you have a friend of a friend that fills that bill.  That would be far cheaper than hiring an excavating company to haul all that fill.  Also easier than changing hitches on your truck twice.

Just now, Hot Rod said:

You need to find a local independent trucker, and tell him you need to hire him and his truck for a day for cash, the next time he has some downtime between loads and needs the money.  Surely you have a friend of a friend that fills that bill.  That would be far cheaper than hiring an excavating company to haul all that fill.  Also easier than changing hitches on your truck twice.

Thanks, the changing of the hitches is not that bad and I have a friend that owns a truck repair shop that will lend me a 5th wheel with all mounting hardware.  So all of that is no problem. So the only issue for me is if, I say "IF" it is legal. 

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Legal?  Probably not.  Get caught?  Probably not. 

Assuming you are running local roads and not up on the highway, the chances of an encounter with an actual dot officer are probably pretty slim.  And the odds of your local Deputy Sheriff writing you a ticket for hauling some dirt to your own property with your own truck are also probably pretty slim.  At least around here.

3 hours ago, dennisvr said:

I just bought 7 acres of land and have to bring in about 7 to 10 loads of fill dirt.  Was thinking what it would cost to have it trucked in and then thought what about putting a 5th wheel hitch back on my HDT and using one of my nephews bottom dump trailers and bring it in myself.
Here's my dilemma, is it legal to pull a bottom dump trailer that has a CA PTI license plate with my HDT which is registered as a motorhome? 
Anyone know if its legal ?  "Chad" ??????????

Wow.....let me put my goggles on.....chances are that some Dr Pepper is going to blown out of some nostrils soon.....maybe....

Might want to wonder what your insurance company might think about a RV towing a belly dump...seem that they might think that might violate if not the text of your policy but likely the spirt of the "Recreational" part of your policy...??? 

Drive on .....(what does the insurance look like....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

50 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Wow.....let me put my goggles on.....chances are that some Dr Pepper is going to blown out of some nostrils soon.....

Not even gonna happen DT.  Once again a question that has been asked and answered ad nauseum. RV's are exempt from the regs when used for hauling "personal" property. I'm sure one of the experts here will try to tell you that hauling fill dirt is hauling "personal" property. 

Heck, every dump truck I stop would love to try and convince me that the load of dirt he is hauling is going to his house if he thought it would make a difference. 

dennis...go for it, no issues with the legality. Use your HDT RV to haul whatever you want...it's all good. California HP won't have (m)any issues with it...trust me. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

6 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Wow.....let me put my goggles on.....chances are that some Dr Pepper is going to blown out of some nostrils soon.....maybe....

Might want to wonder what your insurance company might think about a RV towing a belly dump...seem that they might think that might violate if not the text of your policy but likely the spirt of the "Recreational" part of your policy...??? 

Drive on .....(what does the insurance look like....)

Yea Dolley the insurance was on my mind also.  Just was wondering if it was legal first.  I realize that it would be pushing the limit with a HDT reg. as a motorhome.
Buuuuuttt, the license of the vehicles would be the same as a motorhome pulling a 2 yd dump trailer.  I have a CDL to cover the weights.
I was thinking that if I was pulled over it would probably be a first for the officer. 

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Even IF you could haul the dirt with your truck/MH you would need to plate the truck for the weight of the combination.    That alone my be more than the cost of hiring a truck for a few trips.     The other thing that may be an issue would be your insurance, not too many RV policies cover bottom dumps.    Cover story, you want to make sand castles?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I can't speak for your state but in Colorado it is legal.  I just brought my backhoe home from our mountain property today.  I have been through the weigh station while hauling my hay.  As long as it is mine, for my use it is acceptable.  My insurance covers noncommercial use.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

6 hours ago, Big5er said:

dennis...go for it, no issues with the legality. Use your HDT RV to haul whatever you want...it's all good. California HP won't have (m)any issues with it...trust me. 

Dennis.....there you go, shucks I'll bet Phil has sent a encypritieededed LOE-Speek-Ultrsecureee message from his offical DOT-DecoderRing Direct to the CHP-DVR-DEP-CAB-CARB-FFA-BPA-ERB and IRS......

See what ya might have forgot is that lotsa Kalifornia Officials know deep down inside is that Texas is just a Eastern county of the Golden-State that drifted a bit East after a few earthquakes so........Obviously if you print the post from Phil and just tape it the door of your........RV-Bellydump you will only have to carry 100 cases of Dr Pepper to stay out of Sing-Sing......

Now If I recall you said your nephew had Three bellydumps so.........just in case Phil was "pulling-some-of-your-body-parts" you might consider ......."Limiting your ExPoSuRe" to "Johny-Law" so.........here is the plan........Hitch ALL THREE BELLYDUMPS TOGETHER AND TRIPPLE-TOW all SIX loads in ONLY TWO TRIPS!!

OK so my plan might be a bit ....."Bold".......but imagine Phil and Chad were hiding behind a big billboard and you blew by with your 235 ft long......Tripple-Tow-RV.......shucks by the time they get the Dr Pepper wiped off the inside of their windshield you would already be home and all of the ....."Evidence" would have already dumped.......

No worries......

Drive on........(Tripple -RV.......Three-times-the-fun)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

56 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I can't speak for your state but in Colorado it is legal.  I just brought my backhoe home from our mountain property today. 

Randy, whose trailer were you towing? 

2014 smart Fortwo

In my area a lot of mulch and dirt haulers buy the materials needed for their jobs....And own truck and trailer.

But towing your own trailer lends a lot of credence to "it's all mine" that using someone else trailer doesnt.

2014 smart Fortwo

I haven't been monitoring the forum much this past week.  Some of you may have seen the news about Santa Rosa.  It has been a hell of a week at work.  I finally got a little down time so here is my take on this question.  There is nothing legally wrong with what you are thinking of doing.  You can tow anything you want if it is all yours (the stuff you are hauling) and it is not for commercial purposes (assuming you have the proper driver license for the weights, equipment, etc). 

However, there could be some issues.  Number 1, part of what made your HDT an RV in CA was removing the commercial 5th wheel hitch.  If you put it back on you could have issues with the registration (especially since CA doesn't really go for "converting" HDT's to RV's anymore).  Number two, your insurance may not be happy with you if you have an accident towing that belly dump full of dirt.  I would definitely check this out with them.  Number three, if you happen to get stopped by a highway patrol officer who has any commercial training (or less likely a local cop who does), they will "probably" not be very happy with what you are doing.  It might take them a while to sort through things and depending on which direction they go after sorting through things, you may not be very happy.  It would really be a toss up which way a commercial enforcement trained officer would go.  In CA, they will assume you are commercial up front because technically that is the only way an HDT can be registered.

If it were me, I would do it all day long with a large goose neck dump trailer I could tow with my RV 5th wheel hitch.  I would not put a commercial 5th wheel hitch back on my truck to tow a real belly dump trailer (but I also have a bed on my truck so I couldn't even if I wanted to).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks Chad, hope all is going well with you and your family with all that's going on where you are, it looks terrible seeing all the fires.
Thanks again on all your advise.  As you say its probably legal, but maybe not advisable.  Not sure if I would even try it, but was wondering if it was legal.
Thanks again and be safe.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Since you are a RV in California, I would not do anything to draw attention to myself. They were revoking the RV registrations and requiring re registration. You have too much to lose. Like Chas said, get a gooseneck dump trailer. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

9 hours ago, Ronbo said:

Since you are a RV in California, I would not do anything to draw attention to myself. They were revoking the RV registrations and requiring re registration. You have too much to lose. Like Chas said, get a gooseneck dump trailer. 

Ron and Chad bring up some good points to the table regarding legal / registration issues for HDT RV in California ......

My remarks have made mostly made to make light of a "motorhome" tugging a belly dump past to weigh shack.....imagine a 1992 Bounder 32 Ft motor home tugging a belly dump pup.....even Phil might put that picture in his top 100 busts......with the RV registration you are in the eyes of DMV just a ......motorhome or as California lists them a house car......

I have pretty cheep insurance premiums for a couple of reasons.....First our RV is not worth much.....Second I actually sought out a policy that had TOTAL PRIVATE RV use only and these restrictions are becoming more common as insurance companies see more and more RV registered trucks doing the same tasks as commercial trucks do.....

Phil contends that someday HDT RV units will become regulated the same as commercial trucks.... maybe or maybe not......But I contend that a far bigger and pending danger is that the few remaining insurance companies that presently insure HDT RV's simply exit the market and......poof.....no more HDT RV........

Blue Sky.......Poof gone.....

Long time friend wanted me to haul his late model Corvette to Vegas last year I said I can only haul things I own .....he said no problem he would sell me the car for a dollar.......I said heck Rick you know I have had my 62 Vette for more than 40 years so I don't need another one .......I just don't need the Hassel and insurance fraud is a ugly gig.....

Seems like skating to close to the thin ice could get ugly...... fast

I a past-life I sometimes became involved with offshore "operations" that involved "elevated-risks" often these "operations" would not have any insurance other than "we" did what we could to not have any "trouble".....whenever "we" came back a grumpy check pilot would get us in a corner and say......" Before you start to do some kinda hero crap here in the states just imagine what you are going to say......at the accident hearing.....Gulp..

So......what do we say ?  ?  ?

Drive on.....(can I register my D-9 Cat as a motorhome?)

I was going to check with the insurance if I could do it legally.  But your advise about the insurance company's, there no use throwing up any red flags. 
Time to go down to Ryder and Penske and see if some of my old connects are there and rent a 2 axle tractor.  I will have to rent it through my nephews farm, because they will only rent to company's and not individuals.  He was saying he needed about 2 to 3 loads of gravel so I'd get one for a couple of days.
The reason I was thinking about using my truck was that the rock quarry  is 6 miles away and I live way out in the sticks.  The town has one stop sign and I could even by pass it.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, dennisvr said:

I was going to check with the insurance if I could do it legally.  But your advise about the insurance company's, there no use throwing up any red flags. 
Time to go down to Ryder and Penske and see if some of my old connects are there and rent a 2 axle tractor.  I will have to rent it through my nephews farm, because they will only rent to company's and not individuals.  He was saying he needed about 2 to 3 loads of gravel so I'd get one for a couple of days.
The reason I was thinking about using my truck was that the rock quarry  is 6 miles away and I live way out in the sticks.  The town has one stop sign and I could even by pass it.

Dennis,

It seems I am presently looking at life upside-down......I should be now taking the "chances" now that I took in my younger years......I have much less to lose these days it seems.....

Sounds like the "Chance's" of getting handcuffed on your back roads are pretty slim........

Darn one of those pesky Risk/Reward gigs......

Just prior to doing the "Risk / Reward" one of my life-long friends smiles and mutters ....."well .....I wonder if my bride will come and post bail to spring me outa jail or....... will she send the divorce lawyer to serve the papers instead....."

wwWD/S

What Would Wife Do / Say

Drive on......(Old chicken.....)

Archived