Can't Get Insurance on New HDT in Florida

MoSKP9

I purchased a new 2018 HDT truck in Florida. I currently have my MDT truck insured with Good Sam. They say that I can only get liability coverage as they have a moratorium on all vehicles in the State of Florida.  I called the Florida State Insurance Commissioner and he suggested that I change Insurance Companies. My Good Sam insurance underwriting company is Integon Preferred Insurance company, so don't suggest them. If anyone out there has a different insurance company than Good Sam please let me know. My new class 7 Freightliner is sitting on the dealers lot and I don't want to drive it without full coverage. I am going to change all of my Good and useless Sam policies over to another company when I find one.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

8 hours ago, Ronbo said:

Is this their policy for Florida or only due to the hurricane? Call Alex Tuam

I imagine just for the aftermath of Irma,

My HDT, in Florida, is insured with Progressive under:

FCIS Insurance
FCISINSURANCE.COM
800-331-1520

Fantastic people to deal with.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post.

Just called FCIS as were working out details on an HDT. They are underwriting with Progressive and will write an HDT in Florida only if they write the Trailer also. 

They are not allowing the Truck to separate from the trailer other than Fuel, Maintenance and Parking. Not sure I like this. 

Who did you go with and are there any Insurance Companys who write allowing the HDT to separate from Trailer for separate RV use?

Try Lazy Days RV near Tampa.  We have Progressive through them, no limitations.  We can pull any trailer, so long as it's not commercial.

That said, we don't reside in Florida.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

18 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Try Lazy Days RV near Tampa.  We have Progressive through them, no limitations.  We can pull any trailer, so long as it's not commercial.

That said, we don't reside in Florida.

Is your HDT registered as a MH and can you use the HDT as a separate vehicle while still covered under the policy, without towing the 5er etc.

14 hours ago, Foreverunstopable said:

Is your HDT registered as a MH and can you use the HDT as a separate vehicle while still covered under the policy, without towing the 5er etc.

Yes to all the above.  They were very easy to work with.  BUT,  we're not in Florida.  Not all policies are the same in all states.  Nor are the premiums.  I shopped for better rates, but the restrictions negated any cost savings.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Give State Farm a call. They have mine as a private passenger vehicle. The agent himself came to my place and looked at it. Yep its semi. Yep it has Motor Home plates. According to State Farm Its private passenger vehicle. $45 a month. Full coverage. Yours is brand new so probably cost more I have an 03.

You are probably going to have to do the motor home conversion before you can insure it. As it sits its still commercial.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Your issue is F-L-O-R-I-D-A!!!  The insurance laws are NOT conducive to a non-commercial HDT.  I went thru the same goat rope a couple years ago and just gave up.  I was days away from buying an HDT.

All the problems I encountered with FL registration and insurance is why I plan to domicile in SD when I get my HDT.  I am also fairly confident the costs will be lower, too.  Full timing looks like it will happen early next yr.  

On 9/27/2017 at 7:49 PM, MoSKP9 said:

I purchased a new 2018 HDT truck in Florida. I currently have my MDT truck insured with Good Sam. They say that I can only get liability coverage as they have a moratorium on all vehicles in the State of Florida.  I called the Florida State Insurance Commissioner and he suggested that I change Insurance Companies. My Good Sam insurance underwriting company is Integon Preferred Insurance company, so don't suggest them. If anyone out there has a different insurance company than Good Sam please let me know. My new class 7 Freightliner is sitting on the dealers lot and I don't want to drive it without full coverage. I am going to change all of my Good and useless Sam policies over to another company when I find one.

Curious, what bumper pull RV is that? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

The trailer is a New horizons.

My insurance is with Nationwide.

Try this for insurance

Twyla Stenzel
RV Department
FCIS-Farm and City Insurance Services
Ph:1-800-331-1520 or 641-585-2925
Fax:641-585-5166
www.fcisinsurance.com