Freightliner FL70

Moosetrax

Just joined the forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a 2017 Keystone Montana 3271 Legacy that has dry weight of 12600 & 16,800 lbs full. I have a 2001 Ford F350 and have had lots of work done to increase power especially through the mountains. After pouring ~ $8000 into it (rebuilt tranny, Edge computer and hydra chip, new pipes on Turbo, new Turbo wheel, etc.) it is not really that much better than it was originally. I am looking for a Class 7 or Class 8 truck to pull my RV. I found a truck on Craigslist that I am very interested in but not sure if it will have the power to travel through the west mountains and pull my RV without stress. It has the following Equipment: Cummins ISC 250 HP; Eaton Fuller RT-8709B 9-speed transmission; 10,000# Front axle; 19,000# Rear Axel; 3.07 Axle ratio; GVWR 26,000#; Air Brakes; Air system dryer. I am new to these trucks and really don't know what I should be looking for. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if this is how I should post this or if I am in the right area.

For something to go through the mountains with, you want something with good torque, multi stage engine brake setup, and good main brakes.  At 250HP, not sure that would meet your power needs, even with a 9 speed tranny behind it.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

I had a FL60 with a 5.9 Cummins (230HP) and a 6-speed manual transmission.

It was good, but not enough power (and not enough gears to keep it in the power range). Compared to the Volvo, it was quite a bit louder and less comfortable on the highway.

A class-8 truck will be a better ride with more power.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I'm out west, if you want to play in the hills you will need 470hp and above! I know others will say different, but I do live and play out west! 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

The first thing to consider is the weight of the truck. Class 7 and 8 trucks weigh considerably more than your PU.  The power to haul the RV and the heavier truck is probably more than you might guess at first.  I would guess this truck will be slower than the truck you now have.  It will have better braking and it is likely it will outlast your current truck.  I prefer at least 400hp but if you don't mind a slow climb maybe less.  My Volvo has 500hp but we are heavy.  Our first HDT had 370hp.  I didn't like a lot of things with that truck and power was one of many. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, CDR said:

I'm out west, if you want to play in the hills you will need 470hp and above! I know others will say different, but I do live and play out west! 

For a sub-17000 lb RV? BS!

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Seems we've become spoiled by abundant power. It wasn't that many years ago when 400 hp was a dream, and trucks slowed down on hills.

we don't NEED big horses, we just LIKE them.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

21 hours ago, Moosetrax said:

Just joined the forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a 2017 Keystone Montana 3271 Legacy that has dry weight of 12600 & 16,800 lbs full. I have a 2001 Ford F350 and have had lots of work done to increase power especially through the mountains. After pouring ~ $8000 into it (rebuilt tranny, Edge computer and hydra chip, new pipes on Turbo, new Turbo wheel, etc.) it is not really that much better than it was originally. I am looking for a Class 7 or Class 8 truck to pull my RV. I found a truck on Craigslist that I am very interested in but not sure if it will have the power to travel through the west mountains and pull my RV without stress. It has the following Equipment: Cummins ISC 250 HP; Eaton Fuller RT-8709B 9-speed transmission; 10,000# Front axle; 19,000# Rear Axel; 3.07 Axle ratio; GVWR 26,000#; Air Brakes; Air system dryer. I am new to these trucks and really don't know what I should be looking for. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if this is how I should post this or if I am in the right area.

Hi Moosetrax,

Welcome to the forum. I wish you luck in your search. I have not been out west yet, so I can't give you any ideas about horsepower and torque. Just remember let torque be your friend.

Welcome again to the forum and keep asking questions.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

In 1999, I purchased a new Freightliner FL-70 with a Cat-3126, and a 6 speed fuller transmission.  I had it rerated 3 times, and ended up @ 335HP, but can't remember the torque, there was no more metal to rerate more.  It was loud, uncomfortable, and under powered!!  My Dodge 3/4 ton pulled the RV much better.  Had air brakes on the FL-70, so it did stop much better.  I'm sure the one with the Cummings would pull better than the one I had, BUT, I hated the truck for 11 years, so ended up with a VNL 630, with 400HP/860 torque, and a smile.  Good luck.  Dick T.   BTW, our camper was kinda' heavy (19,000#)

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

22 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Seems we've become spoiled by abundant power. It wasn't that many years ago when 400 hp was a dream, and trucks slowed down on hills.

we don't NEED big horses, we just LIKE them.

YES!  More Power!

Moose-  If you want better braking, more stability, and better distance between fuel stops, the FL will be a great move.  As others have stated it will be low on power... BUT you 're not pulling 20000+ either.  At 16k+- I think you will be OK.  You won't be the fastest to the top, but you will be able to stop at the light at the bottom.

Our Volvo is set at 425/1450.  With our old Carrilite RV that weighed 19500 loaded, it did ok.  With the new DRV that weighs 1000lbs more unloaded, I could tell a difference.  Same road, same hills, same head on wind. 

The Fl has a Cummins, and Banks has the added power accessories to give it more oomph....http://shop.bankspower.com/c-41-products-power-efficiency-systems.html

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived