S.Dakota auction. Would you bid?

Brad NSW

http://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/17357095/2011-kenworth-t660
What do you all think?  New to this.  Went to the W. Coast rally and learned a lot!  This looks like a decent opportunity but I've never heard of a Paccar MX13??

2 questions:

1. What would you be comfortable bidding?

2. Could I cut away the fairing and mount a drom locker, put a 5th wheel hitch way back and still have room for an ATV crosswise?

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

1) we would only bid accordingly, if we cannot see the vehicle in person we bid low assuming all we might be getting is scrap metal. Even if we can see it in person, you cannot typically do inspections like VIS check or Dyno or oil test on an auction vehicle and about all you can do if you are lucky is start it and maybe move it a few inches. So you again have to bid assuming it needs work ( why would someone auction a great truck anyway?).

2) without measurements and going by looks alone, you would have to extend the hitch farther back than the current bed allows. Which may mean that bed may be better off being removed and starting with a new bed. 

Can't help you on the MX13, maybe Scrap will chime in?

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I'm glad you had a great time at the rally.  At the very least, you will want to run the truck's VIN through CarFax and RigDig (or similar services) to see if you can find some ownership history.  If the truck was involved in a major accident, one of these should show you.  Good luck in your search.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Since it is being auctioned at a dealer, they should let someone test drive it and do inspections.

looks like it was singled after the factory.

bed looks too short for more than just a four wheeler without extending the bed.

ask if anyone on here is close enough to take a look.  Looks like a nice truck to me.  

I doubt if theres a big market for these where the dealer is and they just want it off their lot. 

Paccar is the engine brand for peterbilt/kenworth.  More common now that Cat isnt really in the business anymore. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

some history on PACCAR. PACCAR owns DAF, Kenworth, Peterbilt.

When Caterpillar built the engines for Ken/Pete they were American made trucks.  When Cat engine left the over the road (smog/EPA). Ken/Pete had trouble with the logo American made since PACCAR would supply the engine from there overseas plants.  PACCAR then built an engine plant near Columbus, MS to supply the engines for Ken/Pete, now they can claim American made.

The PACCAR XM13 is one of the standard engines from the plant.  

go to PACCAR web page and click on that engine.

This is kind of a generalization answer to the question about the XM 13 engine

just noticed my posts kind of low, but first time posting under new format.

Dealer should be able to give you some more details. As far as the bed you would probably be money ahead to remove and sell vs trying to modify. Looks pretty short to me to get a drom and then a hitch and still put something on the bed. With that said there have been a few folks that have the hitch extend behind the bed. There are a lot of options. As far as bidding I would not have an issue bidding but would set my bid max as such to deal with issues on the truck if needs be. That certainly is a nice looking truck. 

A couple of issues regarding Auction vehicles.  First, most often the current owner has purchased that vehicle from fleet turnover or through another auction where they buy in quantity and then clean up and convert so they can sell at a profit.  Two major things to consider; one, does he have maintenance and repair records (my bet is probably not), I would not buy something that I have no history on.  Secondly, does it have a clear title, if not good luck obtaining a new title - the DMV frowns on vehicles that do not have clear title - it can be a nightmare.  As I reviewed the ad on the link you submitted, this is being sold with no implied warranty and I quote "All equipment is sold {AS IS} with no guarantees or warranties. All sales are final."  This would also make me a little nervous.  It may pay to purchase a vehicle from private owner or truck company that will provide you at least some warranty until you have the vehicle fully inspected and history of how the vehicle has been treated.

The Paccar MX-13 is a derivative of their DAF engines, the division they own in the Netherlands. I think the 2010 was the first year of production of the US made version, as was mentioned a new plant in MS. I have one friend that is in the same end of the business I am in who owns a 2012 T660 with an MX-13 and whatever automatic they put behind it. He bought it used from a KW dealer with 600k in 2015, now has 930k on it. It has been a maintenance horror show, mostly associated with anything emissions. Like with Volvo power you can only get it serviced at a KW /Pete dealer, unlike a Volvo, who has had their engines in the US market for a long time, KW is still learning. KW discounts the new trucks significantly with their engines, and they command less resale than the exact truck with a Cummins. 

If you get one, do so at a significant discount. Scrap would be the ultimate source of info on this.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Thanks everyone for the insights.  The going out of business auction has another singled Peterbuilt 386.  Auction start tomorrow.  I'll watch it and maybe give the owner a call to try and get some background/title info.  Then check Carfax, both VINs are listed on Carfax.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Did somebody reading here buy this truck?    It went for more than I expected, pretty good bidding war.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I'm pretty biased on MX so you wouldn't want to listen to me.  That said, it turned out to be a pretty darn good alternative to the ISX in those years.  ISX had some serious issues that darn near put a lot of guys out of business just after they barely survived 2009.

Nice truck though.  For sure you'd need to add the two missing gauges that didn't get spec'd.  That would drive me nuts!!

I'm kinda like Scrap, bias wise... A fella close by me ran this era MX engine in a W900 hauling crude oil and produced water on 80% gravel / hilly terrain, GCW 100,500lbs 90F to -35F, mud, bugs, snow... 14,000hrs with a minimum of trouble... a couple EGR cooler flushes, accessory belt tensioners, a top set or two, many of the CEL's go away on their own, some had to be erased by dealer, none caused a tow to town.  The big drop in oil prices = big slow down in work so he retired the W900 by selling it. It is now hauling logs in "retirement",  8 axles, 140,000lbs...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived