Jump to content

2017 DRV- Good Bad What To Look For


Recommended Posts

Due to circumstances beyond our control, Our Carrilite may be totaled by insurance.  What started as a broken slide motor housing has escalated into frame issues.  We have purchase price replacement as part of our full timers policy so we're in good shape there.  The catch is that to use the funds, ins requires the funds to be used on a "New Never Titled RV".  That rules out several options that we were hoping for.

So, that leaves us with the DRV line of RV's.  Mobile Suites in particular.  We are not considering the "Aire" line at all.  We know most everyone's opinions about them.  Possible issues with insulation dropping inside wall cavities et    Pin weights being light, Rolling Retreats doesn't have anything available at the time that we could move into, RV's for less doesn't either.  So that leaves the standard mix of dealers available.

Has anyone dealt with-

Kansas RV Center

Lazy Days- Tampa

All Seasons RV- Michigan

Explore USA- Texas based

We don't have time to order a unit, so it has to be an off the shelf purchase and the above dealers have inventory.  I know about the Anti-stiction fluid to keep the levelers from groaning and popping.  Has DRV had a recall or fix for the front legs dropping/descending while traveling or did DRV change to a different style ram?   

Anything else to be aware of?

 

 

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you push the issue, I don't think the ins co can MAKE you buy anything at all. But the  the replacement policy may not be in effect if you don't. Ask "What if we decided to stop RV ing period?" . You are entitled to be compensated for your loss, NOT what you buy. Use the term "unfair claims" a few times................

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have dealt with Kansas RV Center, but have not bought from them. We were there a week ago, they had a good inventory - see online - but they move units fairly quickly. Mike Mitchell <mmitchell@ksrvc.com> , the owner was great to deal with and there are a number of knowledgeable sales people. No pressure. Willing to make a good deal on the spot.

We did not buy for the reasons you outlined, but mostly we were looking for a toy hauler. They only had one in stock and it was not to our liking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, oscarvan said:

Can't help you too much except that while I've heard some good experiences with Lazy days there are a lot of people what wouldn't call 911 if the place was on fire......

I've heard that as well, but chances are if we bought there, it would never return for any warranty work.  It's a long haul from where my summer job is.  Kansas Rv Center has a good selection.  We looked at a JX-450 there when they first appeared in the DRV line up.  Being told that they didn't need the IS suspension because it was a triple axle didn't float well with me and they appear to order all their stock triple axle units with standard Dexter axles.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2Auberts said:

Alie & Jim,

We have been considering a "Luxe". https://www.luxefifthwheel.com/. Have you looked at them and if you have please share your insight on why you wouldn't consider them as an option. 

Roy

In a nut shell, they don't have enough carrying capacity.  Plus we don't have time to order a unit.  Insurance suggested a max of 2 weeks until they sent a truck out.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We bought our original Hitch Hiker and now our Mobile Suite from Mike Mitchell at Kansas RV Center.  Mike will go out of the way to make you happy.  Their after sale service is outstanding. I considered one major advantage to their repair shop is that most of the employees built Hitch Hikers when they were in business, so they have a greater knowledge of fifth wheel trailers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike Mitchel is a great guy. He is the only owner of a company that would be on the open forum for his company and let the members/owners discuss changes in units. Help anyway he could. If I wanted a new DRV , I would deal with him. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Jim,

Would suggest going with a two axle unit with IS suspension. That will keep your pin weight in the 5K range. Which unit are you looking at?

Tell Alie hi for us

David & Vicki

Whatever we go with will have IS.  Most of the rigs we have looked at are 3 axle units.... with no generator.  Maybe I can put a 6 cell AGM bank in the gen area.  Add 4-600 lbs to the front.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll probably take my own advice on some lead ballast up front.  Carefully placed of course.  I'll get weights on the truck by itself and the trailer before we put anything in it.  Then I'll measure everything out so that DT can do a weight and balance on it.  

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I've heard that as well, but chances are if we bought there, it would never return for any warranty work.  It's a long haul from where my summer job is.  Kansas Rv Center has a good selection.  We looked at a JX-450 there when they first appeared in the DRV line up.  Being told that they didn't need the IS suspension because it was a triple axle didn't float well with me and they appear to order all their stock triple axle units with standard Dexter axles.

I think they do not put the Moryde IS on there because of the weight.  But I think it can be optioned.  You could always call Rolling Retreats and ask.  They seem to be the most knowledge dealer out there.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you check with NH maybe they have something an owner isn't in a panic to get......just that I'll take XPS insulation hands down over fiberglass.

Worst case......buy something that hasn't been titled,  sell it then buy whatever you like.

 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, J-T said:

Have you check with NH maybe they have something an owner isn't in a panic to get......just that I'll take XPS insulation hands down over fiberglass.

Worst case......buy something that hasn't been titled,  sell it then buy whatever you like.

 

JT, they are full timers, makes it a little hard to buy, sell and buy again.

2023 Thor Magnitude XG32

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We bought our Hitch Hiker from a dealer, but have taken it to Kansas Rv for serious repair, and have found them to be extremely knowledgeable in their repair ability.

As to the pin weight issue, Young's Welding is right  there in Chanute and they can build a shorter pin box for the trailer. They built frames and pin boxes, and build the pin boxes for New Horizons fifth wheels.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JT, In my opinion, you cannot compare the build structure of New Horizons or Space Craft to DRV.  Totally different ways of building.  While I agree that the XPS is superior, and I would love to have a NH and actually have a floor plan on file with Marsha at Space Craft, logistically and financially it's not possible for us now.

 With insurance paying what they are, the conditions of the payout, combined with my work schedule, and several other factors discussed below, an off the shelf DRV fits the needs.  Rolling Retreats I would love to work with, but they have 1-floor plan available and my better half doesn't care for it.  If time wasn't an issue, We would have been there Friday to spec a unit to our needs.  

The other condition we put on ourselves, are as follows-

We know what insurance is paying-

We know how long we are willing to have a payment..... the longer the terms, the longer I have to work.... And I HATE working...

We know how much we can pay monthly and how much we can add to the down payment without accessing retirement funds.

So we asked our favorite banker to run the numbers and he came back with XX amount for XX time.  This also puts us in the black-right side up on the new unit even when we pull it off the lot.  Yes it will depreciate but, we still will have positive equity.

 

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Were did the

7 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

JT, In my opinion, you cannot compare the build structure of New Horizons or Space Craft to DRV.  Totally different ways of building.  While I agree that the XPS is superior, and I would love to have a NH and actually have a floor plan on file with Marsha at Space Craft, logistically and financially it's not possible for us now.

 With insurance paying what they are, the conditions of the payout, combined with my work schedule, and several other factors discussed below, an off the shelf DRV fits the needs.  Rolling Retreats I would love to work with, but they have 1-floor plan available and my better half doesn't care for it.  If time wasn't an issue, We would have been there Friday to spec a unit to our needs.  

The other condition we put on ourselves, are as follows-

We know what insurance is paying-

We know how long we are willing to have a payment..... the longer the terms, the longer I have to work.... And I HATE working...

We know how much we can pay monthly and how much we can add to the down payment without accessing retirement funds.

So we asked our favorite banker to run the numbers and he came back with XX amount for XX time.  This also puts us in the black-right side up on the new unit even when we pull it off the lot.  Yes it will depreciate but, we still will have positive equity.

 

Yesterday I was hot on fiberglass insulation since I pulled more of it out of the under belly of our Cameo. It has been inside since February while I work on it.  I've added new steel beams under the front bunk as well as made the frame 12" front to back  by removing 12' of the 1/8" x 2"x 6" HSS that was above the axles and replacing it with 24' of  3/16" x 2" x 6" HSS.

Can you tell me where the frame issues are on yours so I can address them if need be? PM if you like.

Thank You

JT

 

Is is possible to let me know what issues are with yours. 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought, should you fine floor plan or a design would the factory ( what ever Name brand) be able to help you locate an available model. Then some how a dealer trade would have to be setup so that you could work with your reparable dealer to get the options  desired.

The difference between cars & RV's, is who carries the warranty. My daughter brought a new car a few years ago from a broker when dealer wouldn't negotiate.. That may happen with a RV on repair.

Clay Just trying to walk in your shoes in case it happened to me

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim & Alie,

Sorry to hear about your problems.  I hope everything works out to your satisfaction.  As we talked about at the WCR, we are really happy with our DRV.  I think you guys will be too.  I hope you find the right one for you in a timeframe that works.  I just put the short pin box on our DRV that RVHLifestyles is marketing.  I haven't pulled it anywhere yet, but I like how it sucked the trailer up a little closer to the truck.  We'll see if it makes any difference in fuel mileage.  With my 2 axle trailer, pin weight wasn't an issue, but I am trying to keep my overall length as short as possible.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

Just a thought, should you fine floor plan or a design would the factory ( what ever Name brand) be able to help you locate an available model. Then some how a dealer trade would have to be setup so that you could work with your reparable dealer to get the options  desired.

The difference between cars & RV's, is who carries the warranty. My daughter brought a new car a few years ago from a broker when dealer wouldn't negotiate.. That may happen with a RV on repair.

Clay Just trying to walk in your shoes in case it happened to me

 

1 hour ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Alie & Jim,

Have you seen this one on the forum -

 

Longway- The catch is that to use the funds, ins requires the funds to be used on a "New Never Titled RV".  That rules out several options that we were hoping for.

MS60- That's a thought to call the factory and ask who has XXX model.  It would save a fair amount of searching. 

With luck, we will have an answer tomorrow.  With the number of issues and the fact that Carriage is no longer around, and very few dealers are going to be willing to remove the full wall slide, and remove half of the exterior wall that's left, I'm guessing they will total it.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alie & Jim,

When I went to see NH (Cole) last week, he has at least one NH model for sale and If you talk nice to him, I believe we would sell the 41' Majestic show model (some secrets I know!!). He also has some other third party consigned units (We did not look at them) in his parking lot. Give him a call.

Gerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue my wife has with buying a show model from a custom builder is that it's not what she wants for her custom unit.... you're buying what someone else decided they like at a steep preminum.

 " I believe we would sell the 41' Majestic show model (some secrets I know!!). He also has some other third party"  

3rd party units have been titled correct?  Please read my first post again and the post 2 above this.  

NH has the Summit drive thru garage model that the owner couldn't take delivery on.  If the interior was gutted and turned into my floor plan for the same price then sure..... but an 8cuft fridge isn't gonna cut it.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...