Left turn signal activating trailer brakes

lockmup68

Have you located the problem? What was the fix?

with the freezing temps and then all the rain/ice last couple of weeks, I haven't had time to dig into it yet. We are also preparing to go FT, so trailer is in rehab mode right now. Painting interior, then install all new floors and put back together.

I did pick up a new combiner box like is on there, but I'm now thinking I might just get a jackalopee and rewire the whole thing. Still undecided. I probably should just put the new combiner box on there and add a resistor to see if that fixes the problem to verify. Shipping for returning the box is just as much as the box costs.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

FYI, when we got the Jackalopee, my bride looked at the instructions and decided it was simple enough for her to tackle. I believe she's right. Crazy easy and high quality.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 months later...

i don't have a jakalopee so this might not help.

My left turn signal also activated the trailer brakes -quite annoying.

So we went right to the fuse panel on the dash - wire 72 I think. now the direct link lights up when brakes applied (as before) but  no more stray signals.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

I have a jacalopee sitting in the cab waiting patiently. Finishing up the house first. Few more lights to hang, trim, etc. Then will start on the truck.

• 1 month later...

Update: 6/27

restate problem: left turn signal intermittently activating trailer brakes. Always shows 0.5 at every blink and sometimes 5.0 signal at every blink, left turn signal only. Brake pedal always shows 6.0, and right turn signal shows 0.0    . 

Combiner box at back end of deck. A little corrosion. Replaced combiner box, still problem.

last weekend was a doozy, but made lots of progress. 

1. Pulled 35 feet of wire from back end to jackalopee

2. Mounted jackalopee and I decided to use terminal strips to completely eliminate and isolate wires in my screwed up harness. 

3. Ran new wire from truck plug to jackalopee, and new plug  

4. Tested without trailer by watching jackalopee board:  left turn led lights up, right turn led lights up, brake pedal led lights up, marker lights led lights up

5. The only not completely new wire in the entire setup is the blue wire from the brake controller. (Teconsha) I cut the wire heading to the combiner box under the sleeper and brought it into the jackalopee. 

6. So had generator serviced (throwing a code) and was finishing up wiring cleanup, zip tying, etc. , while waiting. 

7. Got in truck and check all leds for proper light up when each function activated as stated above. 

8. Never looked at the controller. :(

9. Driving back to the coach at night, flashing light caught my eye when changing lanes. (Left signal on) and it is reading 5.0. Sometimes 0.5. Crap. :(

10. So since everything is all new EXCEPT for the one blue brake control wire, I guess that is next. I traced wire from controller all the way to Jackalopee and no breaks or cuts. 

11. Either there is a break or cut that I missed or the controller is bad on the left turn signal? Can't really think of anything else that could be wrong in the setup. 

12. So do I spend more time pulling a single new wire or get a new controller? (Hayes, teconsha?)

And lastly, I cannot find a reverse light input except at the back of the deck in the combiner box. So I guess that means pulling a wire from end of long deck all the way forward to the jack. 

BTW, first thing Saturday morning, I started to take the combiner box off after I pulled the new wire for the trailer. Halfway through, I finally realized all my deck lights and rear lights were pulled off the combiner box and not just the trailer connection. Almost messed up in a big way. Carefully put it all back together and just took off the trailer plug part. 

Thoughts appreciated. 

Thanks,

Shannon

http://i.imgur.com/xg2Excll.jpg[/IMG]

this thread must have the plague. No one is responding! I went ahead and ordered a hayes controller today since I need to be on the road next week and this weekend is the chance to fix it. I hope this does it.

Now where to order a johnson bar? My steering wheel is missing it.

You've had lots of responses, given the length of time this has drug out. Intermittent problems are a bear to track down, so keep plugging away. Given the Tijuana Special conversion that truck has received, it's kind of amazing it's still moving down the road. No 2 ways about it, there's an intermittent short in the wiring, somewhere. Good luck.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Makes me glad I'm using Bludot system. No more electric wires to brakes.

That will probably be next step if the hayes controller doesn't work. But big trip coming up, so want it to work. 

The Hayes will work, and work well. I've never heard of a real issue with them.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm unsure about the Hayes. That is what I have on my truck. My brakes were locking up and couldn't adjust out. Never happened with dually.  I thought I would find problem when I put the disk brakes on. The electric brakes all appear in great shape, practically new. I may have a faulty one.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The Hayes units work nicely when they work.  My first one seemed to be hit and miss and eventually the magic smoke came out.  The current one works perfect.  Hayes and E-Trailer indirectly told me that they had an issue with a batch of controllers.  If or when we move to a new RV with Disc brakes, I'll either go Direct link or BluDot if the bank allows.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

33 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If or when we move to a new RV with Disc brakes, I'll either go Direct link or BluDot if the bank allows.....

BluDot is way better than DL. It does have some downsides, but not in its performance - only in potential resale and other trucks towing your trailer. Not an issue with a tow truck, but it would be with other friends towing it. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 weeks later...

Update 7/13/17:

2,192 miles from Cornersville, TN to Delacour, Alberta, Canada. NO LEFT TURN SIGNAL ACTIVATING BRAKES!!

So I replaced every single wire in the system except for the blue wire from the techonsha to the jackalopee, still had the issue. So I replaced with a Hayes unit and took the techonsha out of the equation and voila, magic. 

Now I just need to pull reverse light wire from end of bed to the jackalopee to get reverse lights on the trailer back working. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Archived