Truck Compressor Part 2

SuiteSuccess

I remember reading somewhere that when the cruise kicks the fan in on a hill, it's equivalent to 20 hp of drag on the motor, Sooooooo, how many electric fans would it take to supply that much air movement?

I sometimes run equipment in a dirty environment. On some pieces, I blow the radiator out with compressed air and/or a garden hose, daily. How often do y'all wash out your radiator? Try it once, and watch what comes out. If a section of the core won't pass water, it ain't cooling either.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

According to Cummins, the ISX uses the following HP at these rpm's

1100 10

1300 17

1500 26

1700 37

1900 52

2100 70

Lots of good info on running an economical truck from Cummins can be found here:

https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/cummins_secrets_of_better_fuel_economy.pdf

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The point I was trying to make, nicely verified by Georgia's info, is that a large engine needs lots of air to cool it. Running down the road, much of that air passes through by it's own accord. But how many electric fans have a motor that will move as much as the original?

If it would work, the OTR guys would be doing it already.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It takes 20,000-25,000 CFM, or 9 fans. They need to be 9 flat fans to keep it laminar as they can't share air so you need to use all different sizes to keep your array flat but still give full radiator coverage. They need to be uniformly placed and neighboring fans need to talk to each other so they do not develop large temp gradients relative to ambient or it'll stretch your rad apart. If you run them all on/off together or even in rows of 3 together you need to switch and wire for 100A, which isn't always cheap. It'll run about the same temp differentials as you see today. If you can control all fans independently you can do it under 60A and you'll actually see a rock steady coolant temp. It is pretty impressive. You also need to get engine data into your controller so you can catch CAC temp and try to predict EGR rate of change. If you don't predict/pre-cool for an EGR spurt coming on a lot of times you are sunk before you even get them ramped up. Fun stuff and played with it many ways, but I don't think it's time will come until a truck body change forces it. The 2 spd is what we've had for the last few years and the HD viscous will probably be the next thing up. But you Volvo guys have had the opportunity to order a truck with viscous for a good 6 years now I think? I don't think it really took off for some reason though.

And ain't no one can blow chaff out of a Deere radiator like Scrap can!! B) It friggen sucks actually......

It takes 20,000-25,000 CFM, or 9 fans. They need to be 9 flat fans to keep it laminar as they can't share air so you need to use all different sizes to keep your array flat but still give full radiator coverage. They need to be uniformly placed and neighboring fans need to talk to each other so they do not develop large temp gradients relative to ambient or it'll stretch your rad apart. If you run them all on/off together or even in rows of 3 together you need to switch and wire for 100A, which isn't always cheap. It'll run about the same temp differentials as you see today. If you can control all fans independently you can do it under 60A and you'll actually see a rock steady coolant temp. It is pretty impressive. You also need to get engine data into your controller so you can catch CAC temp and try to predict EGR rate of change. If you don't predict/pre-cool for an EGR spurt coming on a lot of times you are sunk before you even get them ramped up. Fun stuff and played with it many ways, but I don't think it's time will come until a truck body change forces it. The 2 spd is what we've had for the last few years and the HD viscous will probably be the next thing up. But you Volvo guys have had the opportunity to order a truck with viscous for a good 6 years now I think? I don't think it really took off for some reason though.

And ain't no one can blow chaff out of a Deere radiator like Scrap can!! B) It friggen sucks actually......

Shucks Scrap, you left out the stone-age shutterstats on the old needle-nose KWoppers ..... just bump into a bull elk at 60 mph and you will be out there with your channellock pliers for least a case or two of beer getting then straight enough to open and close.....and oh the sound of that straight drive fan when all those shutters opened on a log hot pull.

Shutters worked good on a -40f day and $0.12 gal/diesel.....

Drive on.....(shiver my shutters)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 1 year later...

Hi Scrap - That is purdy - bet it is quieter than the big ducted fan...

... one trip to an undisclosed location I saw an engine with all dc driven equipment on the front of the engine. Is that still being pursued? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Don't make um like they use to. My 84 Pete running two AC's on a 90 degree day won't turn on the fan pulling 12,000 #. If I had a leak would get out some vise grips or clamp to get home and fix it myself. Ol girl will hold air for a week so if your not hitting brakes the compressor is not kicking on. My fan engages by applying air.

It sounds like a city bus. ;)  DC FEAD is one of the things still in the maybe hopper.  You're right, I wussed out on electric water pump as it is the only thing left.  Three pulleys and two tensioners just for a little water pump. :lol:  That's one of the Near Zero CNG's which is pretty risky in the cooling department, so baby steps.  She's a hot one!

Yea, I've got an '86 and an '88 that are pretty darn good ol trucks.  Grease em, tighten v-belts, and adjust brakes every Sunday and they are good to go.

Archived