Simple Green cleaner

Wrknrvr

I am curious as your thoughts on using Simple Green to clean grease buildup it the gray water tank and drain lines.

It is biodegradeable and non toxic as what I read on ther web site.

I have used it to clean grease of of work clothes. It takes time but it will remove grease mark mostly on clothing.

Fill the grey water tank with water and the proper amount of Simple Green and let it sit for a day or two.

Just something I have been thinking about.

Safe Travels, Vern

One problem that I have with any choice of cleaning product for tanks is how to know if they are actually cleaned after use? Unless you have some sort of remote camera to run up the dump lines, how can you know for sure? I have used more than one cleaning product over the years but only guess how effective each one is.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Generic white vinegar is what we use to keep our plumbing lines/fixtures/water heater running smooth. 1-2 times a yr, depending on where we are at and the hardness of the water, will put 5-6 gals into the tank and fill 3/4-full with water, turn on pump, open each outlet until vinegar smell is evident, let sit overnight. Drain tank, fill 3/4-full with fresh water, open each outlet until vinegar smell dissipates, drain tank and refill. I wouldn't want anything (like simple green or some of the so called water fresheners) in anything that I might bathe in, drink or use for cooking. :blink:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Funny seeing Simple Green on the list of new topics today. I had a spray bottle of it for longer than I remember. Pulled it out yesterday to use on the frame of my Air Filter holder for my HVAC system. It was no longer green and had a funny odor. Went with white vinegar and tossed the simple green down the kitchen drain. Maybe it cleaned the drain pipe on the way down. Won't know for sure.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I wouldn't want anything (like simple green or some of the so called water fresheners) in anything that I might bathe in, drink or use for cooking. :blink:

The OP said he'd be using it in the gray tank, not the fresh water tank. Unless he's drinking out of the gray tank, I don't think he'll have a problem using Simple Green. ;)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I bought a old oilfield drilling rig years ago and it had a fair amount crude oil dried up on it. I had some work to do on it before I was going to use it.

So at that time I had some industrial purple cleaner so with some sprayed on it, let it set awhile and it did help a little.

I was running another rig at the time and it was going to be awhile till this rig was going to be used.

So if it was going to rain I would go out and spray the entire rig down with it diluted to about 10 water to 1 cleaner mix.

.if I remember correctly the bottle ran out and had to buy more.. Went to homedepot and they did not have it in stock Homedepot guy called manufacturer and said simple green was same stuff. Just dilured. Yes in time it did clean most of the old oil off the rig.

So the other day our macerator pump froze. Yea I know should not be in cold climate when rving.

Anyway there was some white buildup of stuff inside the clear connector that I use for seeing what is coming out of the tanks. Tomorrow I will get some more simple green and see if it will dissolve any of the stuff that came out of the pipe.

Just thinking of a possible way to clean the tanks that would be easy ro do.

Safe Travels, Vern

I bought one of those from Banggood for about $13. Well worth the price and it works great on my Galaxy Note 4 and PC. At this price, almost disposable.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

The fost was only in the macerator pump. It would not rotate with a screw driver turning it by hand. So set a hair drier next to it to help with things.

So after the system was drained and the clear fitting removed to clean the white stuff off the inside is when I thought of simple green.

It has worked on old coveralls to clean them . Not perfect but a lot better than having grease spots on them. It has worked on blue jeans that accidentally got stuff on them that I did not want on them .

Nor did I want the DW to see what the jeans look like now.

Last summer I wanted to repair the side panels on my HDT. So after removing them and spraying on the inside with simple green and rinsing them most of the stuff was gone.

Just a different thought on cleaning things. In the next couple days I will do a test as I have saved some of the white stuff.

Safe Travels, Vern

Grease can build up in the tank and plumbing serving the kitchen, not very often in the bath tank. Good dish soap can help but unless you get every drop of grease dissolved in the soap it can stick to your tank or pipes.

Grease is hard to get rid of with a chemical attack, you are limited to stuff that won't damage your holding system. A far better attack is to use boiling water and good dish soap or other grease cutting soap that is safe for your plumbing.

Fill your biggest kettle with water and bring it to a boil, turn off the heat and stir in a good amount of your soap.

Fill your kitchen sink with hot tap water, use all your hot water if possible, stop if it starts to cool. Add a good amount of soap there too.

Close the gray tank drain valve. Pull the sink drain and let the sink drain into the gray tank, wait five minutes.

Open the gray tank valve and dump the water. If you have a clear elbow you can see what is coming out.

Close the valve again and dump in the near-boiling pot of water, dual sinks put half down each.

Wait another five minutes for the heat and soap to loosen the grease and open the valve again.

You will get a lot of your grease buildup out of the tank and plumbing with this method.

If you want to get more wait until you are about to leave the park and have the gray valve shut. Add another kettle of boiling soapy water to slosh until you get to the next park. Dump it when you hook up and you'll have also gotten a good amount of crud off the tank sides.

I recommend dish soap because we used it, other stuff like TSP or Simple Green could do an even better job but I leave that to others to test and comment on.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you look at Simple Green web site they have quite a few different cleaning products. Yesterday was the first time I looked at there site. So the info maybe useful for someone on the forum.

I will do some testing, but it maybe a few weeks as I have 2600 miles to travel then help with hurricane damage at a friends house. So when we get to Florida I will start some testing.

Safe Travels, Vern

I have used it to clean just about everything imaginable out of uniforms. You can imagine how dirty, stinky grimy football uni's get (no artificial turf) and Simple Green always gets everything out and most important does not harm the uniforms. We use it at home on stains as well as grease removal. Almost as handy as WD-40 and Duct Tape!!!

Archived