5er Noobie Weighing my Options

Av8r3400

My wife and I just picked up our New Keystone Carbon toy hauler. It's a wonderful coach and we are looking forward to using it in the years to come.

We are not looking to become full timers. Ever. We do want to do some traveling with the rig in the future, (5-year plan.) and a lot of "regional" touring in the midwest.

Here's the situation: I currently have an (old) '94 Dodge-Cummins 2500 5-speed that I am currently pulling the rig with. Yes, I agree it is no where near enough truck for 12k empty and 19k gross. Like everyone else here has done, I am weighing my options as to what type of tow rig to invest in. My wife has a bum left knee so the 5-speed in my current truck will not cut it for long. She had done a lot of the driving of our old trailer, and I forsee her driving this one often, too. She's no shrinking wall flower when it comes to driving. But, I will need to upgrade to an automatic. $80k for a new "super" dually pickup is not even a laughable option for me. The MDTs are just as expensive on the used market for a mostly used up (Badly beaten) retired commercial truck. SO-- this is leading me to the HDT option.

I see used I-Shift Volvos for a reasonable amount ($30k +/-), realistically what is a "single-job" and a decent air ride fifth wheel going to cost? $10k? $15k? I can eventually build my own bed in the rear (I'm a recovering machinist and welder) so that will not be needed right now. I'm just looking to single, add a good hitch and wiring.

I've been reading a lot here (and elsewhere) and following Gregg at RV Haulers trying to educate myself as much as possible -- RV registration of the truck, what to look for in a used big truck, Models and options, etc. At the moment I am really leaning in this direction.

I would appreciate some comments from the seasoned vets on what you would consider doing in my position.

post-56018-0-11109800-1476155218_thumb.jpg

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Just as an FYI, the National HDT rally is taking place this week in KS, so it might be a delay in hearing back from some of the HDT owners that are at the rally. They are all probably having too much fun! :D

The ET hitch seems to be the highest regarded by Gregg on his videos and purposely built for HDT's. I don't know the pricing since it isn't listed on the site. - http://ethitch.com/products/

Good luck on your search for an HDT. I've been doing a ton of reading and researching myself the past few months to see what I would like.

Just curious what floor plan did you end up with on the Carbon?

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Thanks for the reply, Blue. I'm not one to rush into things, so I will be patient for comments.

It's the 364 floor plan. We will haul either a Can Am Defender, a non-golfing Golf cart, or a pair of full dress Harleys depending on the occasion.

Keystone_Carbon_2017_364_FP_cropped.png

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

If you are in no hurry, then keep watch on the forum and you might find a turnkey unit that will fit your needs. I was lucky that way with the truck already singled and with an ET already in place. I have added a few things and did a big change over the past two years. It's great that you will be able to do a lot of the work yourself. Good luck with your search and don't worry after the Rally the comments will come in. If you can make it to Hutch even for a day you will learn a lot about the trucks and see a LOT of them all in one place. Photos will be coming soon and you can look at the previous rally photos by going to the Rally Site page.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Just keep your eye out and look on this forum for sale site. Racing Junk .com also has some good deals now and then. I like you was looking for a good MDT but the prices for a beat up truck were way out there. I did find a good buy and went for it. Pulls like a dream stops even better still have some work to do but like it all the same.

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

First welcome. I second the suggestion to find a truck off the forum. It will most often already be set up and be cheaper than piecing a hauler together. We never plan to full time either so your needs will be different than a full timer. Also sounds like a broken record but if you have a chance to attend one of the HDT rallies you will get a good perspective of what people have done.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

First welcome. I second the suggestion to find a truck off the forum. It will most often already be set up and be cheaper than piecing a hauler together. We never plan to full time either so your needs will be different than a full timer. Also sounds like a broken record but if you have a chance to attend one of the HDT rallies you will get a good perspective of what people have done.

Yes, I agree about the perspective. This has got to be one of the best groups to get information from! You can get any and I do mean ANY question answered from these people. They will tell you what works and what doesn't.

Shoot,they even help a 'poor boy in the getto', right Suite Success?? LOL!!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Off topic, Glenn is it just me or is your trailer towing nose down, tail up really really bad in that photo?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I do believe it is just that ground where it was parked. I put a lazer level on chassis at tires and measured up to pin box. Added that distance from chassis to ground. Came up with 47ish". Set hitch height at 47".

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived