Opinions please!

13speed

Cigarette smoke can be easily reduced and eventually eliminated. My 2010 Volvo 730 was a smoker's truck, by the smell a chain smoker's truck. Many years ago I owned a cleaning chemicals business. The trick to removing smoke from the truck is to spray everything that holds odors with a quaternary ammonium cleaner. The quaternary ammonium does an incredible job neutralizing the tobacco odor. The cleaner is generally called a quat cleaner by the industry and is the main disinfectant used in hospital cleaning.

Go to a janitorial supply shop and ask for a quaternary ammonium smoke eliminating solution or a quat cleaner. They are usually concentrated, so it's a relatively cheap solution to smoke smell. The quat cleaner is also great for refrigerators, bathrooms, anywhere there may be bacteria causing odors. You should be able to get rid of the odor for under $20! Just spray on with a standard spray bottle. Let dry for a day and spray again if the odor lingers. Hard surfaces can be sprayed and wiped off, just like regular cleaning.

It might be that spraying the smoker is faster, but I've not tried that.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Cigarette smoke can be easily reduced and eventually eliminated. My 2010 Volvo 730 was a smoker's truck, by the smell a chain smoker's truck. Many years ago I owned a cleaning chemicals business. The trick to removing smoke from the truck is to spray everything that holds odors with a quaternary ammonium cleaner. The quaternary ammonium does an incredible job neutralizing the tobacco odor. The cleaner is generally called a quat cleaner by the industry and is the main disinfectant used in hospital cleaning.

Go to a janitorial supply shop and ask for a quaternary ammonium smoke eliminating solution or a quat cleaner. They are usually concentrated, so it's a relatively cheap solution to smoke smell. The quat cleaner is also great for refrigerators, bathrooms, anywhere there may be bacteria causing odors. You should be able to get rid of the odor for under $20! Just spray on with a standard spray bottle. Let dry for a day and spray again if the odor lingers. Hard surfaces can be sprayed and wiped off, just like regular cleaning.

It might be that spraying the smoker is faster, but I've not tried that.

Nice info Jem.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well gents,

I passed on the truck. They took me out to Volvo to pick it up and drive it back to finish paperwork today. That gave me a decent amount of time in it. The shake was still there and was now especially bad around 60. The whole truck/dash/steering wheel would shake. Arrow was sure it was the leveling valve keeping the ass end to high. It was not. So then they decided it was the tires were out of balance sand wanted me to wait a couple of hours to try to fix it.

There was also a beeping sound from the dash when you push in the yellow button. The Volvo tech said it was not low air and that he had never heard that sound before. It did it all the way back to Arrow.

Arrow was very good about getting things fixed but the issues just kept a coming. It was one thing after another. This truck had more wrong than 229K should have plus the cleaning and smell. The sales kid (nice boy) said it did not smell like smoke to him over the phone but then I get here and discover that he smokes. Gee, I wonder why he could not tell???

It really sucks as I was very excited and am now out over $1200.00 for the round trip and never made it to Spacecraft to meet with Marsha. Is this a omen that I am not supposed to HDT/5th wheel???

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

If circumstances are such we are able to resume our plans to get a HDT I am thinking of buying an existing rigged RV unit and giving the whole chase / buying / singling / rigging / building / fixing scenario a miss...

I wish I had done that. I'm not sorry we got the truck we have, it just would have been simple and easier to buy one already done, even if it cost the same or a bit more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

There is always going to be another unit. Don't get emotionally attached to anything on the lot. Personally I am not enthusiastic about the big remarketers, Arrow, Select Trucks, or Paccar. They have huge amounts of iron kicking around in storage lots all over the place that is deteriorating by the minute. They move it to the retail lots good with the bad, but one thing in common, almost all are fleet units abused by company drivers.

I would rather contact a local Volvo dealer, work with one salesman, let him locate possibilities. You go look and thumbs up or down. You will pay about the same, but he has access to vehicles you could never find out about. That is where he clobbers the remarketers every time.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

There is always going to be another unit. Don't get emotionally attached to anything on the lot. Personally I am not enthusiastic about the big remarketers, Arrow, Select Trucks, or Paccar. They have huge amounts of iron kicking around in storage lots all over the place that is deteriorating by the minute. They move it to the retail lots good with the bad, but one thing in common, almost all are fleet units abused by company drivers.

I would rather contact a local Volvo dealer, work with one salesman, let him locate possibilities. You go look and thumbs up or down. You will pay about the same, but he has access to vehicles you could never find out about. That is where he clobbers the remarketers every time.

Totally agree. We worked with a local Volvo Dealer in Detroit and found a truck in North Dakoda from another Volvo Dealer. He saved us 10% on price and made sure the truck was mechanically sound and with good rubber. Never saw the truck until we pick it up, It was everything and more than expected!!!! These dealers have a reputation to up hold. They currently have some in your price range now. I think Dolley had good luck in ND as well.

Keep looking and Good Luck!

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Just take your time. I got ours off horse trailer world. They come and go all the time there. The horse guys use the same trucks with a different hitch. I just modified the bed slightly for the e/t hitch.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Archived