Opinions please!

13speed

So I got to St Louis to pick up the 630 and while it is not bad it is not as clean as I hoped. Things that I am not happy/sure about I will list below. If anyone can help me decide if I am expecting to much or if it should be a deal breaker I would appreciate it.

2013 630 D13 I-shift 3.42's. 229K miles. 8 new or like new polished aluminum drive wheels with new drive tires. Steer tires are close to new on nice clean polished aluminum wheels.

Starts, stops, shifts and steers well. But!

It was smoked in and it now smells like smoke and cleaner. Not horrible but it's there.

Interior panels and headliner will need to be replaced at some point.

Driver pwr mirror was not working.

Seat belt chime was going off. All the time.

Some buttons like the A/C on off and a few others were sticking.

It did have a acceleration/deceleration shake that they said is the rear suspension leveler raising the rear end to high.

They have it at Volvo fixing most of the issues I found except the interior panels and are replacing the cab air bags and shocks because they had dry rot and some rust respectively.

What do yea'all think? Do I go ahead with it? It will take a few grand to get it the way I want it to be but I think it is a good truck over all..

Btw they are wanting $59K K for it and not wanting to budg.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

You can rent an ozone generator and run it for several days to remove the smoke smell.

A deal breaker for me is if there were burn marks on the seats, dash, window seals around the drivers window.

Cons-

The odor can never be completely removed unless a complete strip down is done. Even the dash panels will have smoke and nicotine behind them.

Pros- Low mileage, runs and drives good, new(er) tires, Volvo has checked it out.

If no one is allergic to the smoke smell, then go for it. The smell will diminish over time.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

How bad a are the buttons sticking on the dash, is it just things seem to not be sitting quite right or does there appear to be a larger underlying problem.
The smoking thing would be a deal breaker for me if it was thick enough, I am allergic, and my wife quite smoking- last thing I'd want is to have the smell around that would just tempt her back to the habit again.
Price is great, mileage is great, I'd price out what it would cost to get headliner and whatever else replacement work done that you would want, then really decide once you had all the information.

Hope it all balances out.

How bad a are the buttons sticking on the dash, is it just things seem to not be sitting quite right or does there appear to be a larger underlying problem.

The smoking thing would be a deal breaker for me if it was thick enough, I am allergic, and my wife quite smoking- last thing I'd want is to have the smell around that would just tempt her back to the habit again.

Price is great, mileage is great, I'd price out what it would cost to get headliner and whatever else replacement work done that you would want, then really decide once you had all the information.

Hope it all balances out.

Thank you and you nailed it exactly. I am a former smoker (10years ago) and I am now very sensitive. I think the buttons sticking is a combination of some wear and tear along with smoking. I will have to replace most of the interior panels to get it "right" but it seems to be a decent truck over all. Arrow is trying to accommodate me so maybe it is not such a bad deal after all.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I hope you also checked the DPF issues that were thrown at you earlier. Any second thoughts on having a Dyno and VIS performed before you write the check?

They said they have to check that to be able to sell it by law....and said it was good. Are they BSing me?

2018 NH 48' Majestic

You can rent an ozone generator and run it for several days to remove the smoke smell.

A deal breaker for me is if there were burn marks on the seats, dash, window seals around the drivers window.

Cons-

The odor can never be completely removed unless a complete strip down is done. Even the dash panels will have smoke and nicotine behind them.

Pros- Low mileage, runs and drives good, new(er) tires, Volvo has checked it out.

If no one is allergic to the smoke smell, then go for it. The smell will diminish over time.

The ozone works fair but there is a trade off.......

To really sanitize you really need to crank up the ozone generator but Ozone is a fairly aggressive treatment and with high concentrations it is dangerous to living organisms (Humans) but most consumer grade ozone generators have very low output so the ability to sanitize is marginal.

The other item to consider is that Ozone tends to degrade and age many materials including many plastic and non-stainless metals so high concentrations of Ozone in your truck cab can age the interior considerably if the dwell times are too long.

We used a large commercial ozone system to sanitize a large volume of flowing water and it worked well BUT we had to be careful because high concentrations of Ozone can wreck you lungs in short order. The best thing is that soon after the Ozone generator is shut down that the Ozone (0 3 ) reverts to Oxygen (0 2) and then the area is safe for humans again.

Drive on.......(Ozone with .......care)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Cons-

The smoke sucks but trying to find a truck that has not been smoked in is not easy. Then you try to find a low mileage I-shift and it is a needle!!!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

The ozone works fair but there is a trade off.......

To really sanitize you really need to crank up the ozone generator but Ozone is a fairly aggressive treatment and with high concentrations it is dangerous to living organisms (Humans) but most consumer grade ozone generators have very low output so the ability to sanitize is marginal.

The other item to consider is that Ozone tends to degrade and age many materials including many plastic and non-stainless metals so high concentrations of Ozone in your truck cab can age the interior considerably if the dwell times are too long.

We used a large commercial ozone system to sanitize a large volume of flowing water and it worked well BUT we had to be careful because high concentrations of Ozone can wreck you lungs in short order. The best thing is that soon after the Ozone generator is shut down that the Ozone (0 3 ) reverts to Oxygen (0 2) and then the area is safe for humans again.

Drive on.......(Ozone with .......care)

Ugh! Lots to think about..... so do I buy this thing? I have limited time to decide....

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I just purchased Ray_nomad's beautiful 2004 630 and I am going to be removing most of the rear interior. Both bunks and all the cabinets (fridge, mico, storage, etc) are coming out so I can put three captains chairs across the back for my kids. If you do decide to purchase your 630 (and the parts are compatible) I'd be happy to sell the parts to you cheap :-)

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

If you can live with the smoke it seems like the bones are there......miles are fairly low

Any truck is a crap shoot so it's really about getting your mind wrapped around the trucks existing "warts" and how you feel dealing with them.

The thing that sets these rigs apart from otherLGT trucks is that folks 'reside" in these units for long periods of time and..... "life happens" like coffee spills and sandwiches fall apart in heavy braking and sunflower seeds get spilled into the defroster grills........"life-on-the-road"....under 300K miles is a fairly short life so far but smoking can take it's toll.....

At 1,018,000 miles the Dollytrolley was no spring chicken but it was a non smoker...... but .........plenty of coffee was spilled and it seems like I have harvested 100 pounds of sunflower seeds from every nook and cranny....."life happens"....

Have a couple of beers and sleep on it.........

Drive on........(Life happens......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

If you don't like smoke smell, pass on it. You'll invest tons of time and money making it better, but it will never smell like new. I'm a jerk in that will reject hotel rooms that smell of any smoke, or staleness from trying to get rid of it. I couldn't live with a smoked in vehicle.

Only reason to consider is if you will be smoking in it or If you plan on replacing all fabrics, along with remove and clean all panels, no matter what you get AND ok with some stale smell when done.

I am an ex smoker. I have never give it a second thought about a vechile. But I also weld in these chemical and refineries. My nose may be accustomed to such. The Volvo I was considering eariler was a smoker's former truck. I only noticed when I first entered. After a short while non noticeable. I wouldn't let that sway me. But I not you either.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The smoke could be dealt with with elbow grease and cleaning. Take as much apart as possible to clean it as possible.

Maybe have a detail shop do it.

A trick a old truck driver taught me was to sprinkle unused coffee grounds around the truck. Also leave a coffee bag or two on the dash with a little grounds in it so the sun will help disputed the smell.

Not a one day thing but will help over time.

Safe travels, Vern

Thanks all!

I am very nervous at dropping 60K at anything that is not new and with a warranty. I am not a "used" type of guy so this is very foreign to me. I typically have crappy luck and will get stuck with a lemon buying used. A used car can cost you. A used truck can cost you HUGE.

IfI pay 60 for it and put 5K into making it nice and then 4K into singling it and putting side boxes and fenders on I will have 70K into it. At that point I am starting to get closer to a new truck that would have a warranty and be specked exactally the way I want it.

I would Dino it if I could but am not sure I have the time or ability to get it done.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Also if they are replacing the cab air bags does the mounting bracket that they mount on need replaced. Much cheaper to do while they have it apart.

Yes they tend to rust out on older Volvos

Also a quick [poor mans Dyno] is to run the truck to operating temperature and make it work for a little time.

Stop the truck, let the engine idle and see if it is puffying any smoke out the breather tube. Or valve cover breather.

Or is there any oil leaks.

I am not sure if that new a truck and engine has any open air breather or not

Just quick thoughts

Thanks all!

I am very nervous at dropping 60K at anything that is not new and with a warranty. I am not a "used" type of guy so this is very foreign to me. I typically have crappy luck and will get stuck with a lemon buying used. A used car can cost you. A used truck can cost you HUGE.

IfI pay 60 for it and put 5K into making it nice and then 4K into singling it and putting side boxes and fenders on I will have 70K into it. At that point I am starting to get closer to a new truck that would have a warranty and be specked exactally the way I want it.

I would Dino it if I could but am not sure I have the time or ability to get it done.

A new truck (780), that comes singled and is "typically" optioned will cost you in the $125-$140 range, depending on how it is outfitted. Less for a 630. A hauler body that is reasonably built, with a drom, and some embellishments to match the truck looks, and painted to match, is going to be in the 25K+ area by the time you are done. Now add other "options" to the truck, and you will be out of pocket another 5-8K, depending. That includes the hitch, cameras, etc.

For the $155K+ you just spent you will have a "lifetime" truck, with a warranty. And the + on the 155 is significant, because you WILL + it.....

On a used truck you can get a warranty....and Arrow will offer it. It does not cover EVERYTHING, like a car warranty would. But it will protect you from major systems failures.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A new truck (780), that comes singled and is "typically" optioned will cost you in the $125-$140 range, depending on how it is outfitted. Less for a 630. A hauler body that is reasonably built, with a drom, and some embellishments to match the truck looks, and painted to match, is going to be in the 25K+ area by the time you are done. Now add other "options" to the truck, and you will be out of pocket another 5-8K, depending. That includes the hitch, cameras, etc.

For the $155K+ you just spent you will have a "lifetime" truck, with a warranty. And the + on the 155 is significant, because you WILL + it.....

On a used truck you can get a warranty....and Arrow will offer it. It does not cover EVERYTHING, like a car warranty would. But it will protect you from major systems failures.

Thanks for chiming in Jack.

The wife and I talked it over and what I am going to do is tell them that if everything has been fixed that I would then like a dyne done. If it checks out I will pay for it and buy the truck. If not they pay and I walk away. My wife is fine with replaceing the panels and having a super detail done as long as the major systems are in great shape.

If we can re-do the interior and get it singled, put fenders and side boxes for 10K we would have a close to new low mile truck for 70K total. I guess we would be in pretty good shape at that point.

I will have 4 new drive tires on shiny aluminum wheels to sell and recoup some of the costs as well.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I purchased my truck from Arrow 6 years ago. At the time, Arrow trucks automatically came with a 30 day warranty. Talking to my salesman I expressed my concern that in 30 days I will not have nearly as many miles on the truck compared to the commercial operators they typically sell the trucks to. So it would be difficult to fully flush out any and all problems in such a short time. He agreed with my logic and agreed to extend the warranty an additional 90 days. He was able to do this by claiming the truck was immediately going in to another shop for retrofitting. This did not even require him to get approval and was included in our sales documentation. So ask about extending the warranty.

Arrow will take care of most of the items on your list. I had a similar list. For the most part they will just swap them off another truck on the lot and not a new one. But the swapped part will be acceptable as if it was always on the truck.

As for the smoke smell it will never truly go away but is manageable unless you absolutely have to have a zero smoked in truck. Clean, clean and clean again. Pull the dash apart. My truck had so much dirt, dust and cigarette residue that with a little moisture it turned into mud. So for a long time any time I pulled the dash apart to add something I would just clean, clean and clean back there. When I say all this mess was behind the dash, keep in mind my truck did not smell like an ash tray when I opened the door like other trucks we looked at. We also found a lot of pet fur. No big deal as we travel with our pets as well but removing the old fur also helped remove the smell.

I also took my truck to a commercial full service car wash. I am fortunate that I have a friend who owns and operates one. He also does make ready for a couple of car dealerships used cars taken on trade. His crew steamed cleaned the entire interior. He then put his ozone machine in the truck and let it run all day. He also ran the truck all day with the heat on full blast (hot summer day) in circulate (not fresh air) mode.

The full service interior wash plus the ozone machine made a big difference but not 100%. So I picked up some small ozone machines I found on amazon or eBay. Paid like $100 for set of 3. I then let them run for like 2 or 3 weeks as the truck sat in the driveway.

The smell never goes away 100%. I have had the truck for 6 years and especially after the truck has set for an extended time I have a stale kinda smokey smell when I open the truck. But again this is only after the truck has been sitting a while. So typically about a few days before getting ready to head out I will go out and open a couple of the sleeper windows. This will air it out. Once we hit the road we don't notice the smell. Even if we have not been in the truck in a few days. Also in the first few years we owned the truck I would leave the sleeper windows open in the summer. I am in Texas so once summer sets in rain was not a worry and the screens kept insects out. Truck would just need a quick dusting inside but nothing more than what the trailer needs after sitting a little while. We also replaced our seats but they needed replacing and it did remove another source of the smell (just not the reason for replacement).

Overall if you like the truck it sounds like a good candidate. Just don't be afraid of a little elbow grease to get it clean and know you will never get completely rid of the smell but it will diminish greatly over time.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Thanks all!

New machinery is.....NEW ...and a Warranty is vital when you are dealing with complex machinery and a newer class 8 tractor is pretty darn complex and fairly cheap for the price being paid.

A brand new truck can have plenty of glitches to deal with in the Warranty period so new can have good and not so good points.....but they do have that NEW-Truck smell .....for a while at least.....

IF your comfort level leans toward new you might want to consider listing to the little man standing on your shoulder and wispering ....NEw ...New....new ........

Drive on.........(Savor that ...."New-Truck" smell....)

Also, if the smell is that bad, estimate how much to replace the interior panels, seats, etc., and have it cleaned, take it off the offer. Negotiate. have them fix everything, then you can evaluate. "I appreciate your time, but I cannot get over the smell and my health issues. Since it will cost me $5k to get this fixed for health issues, I'll take it for $55k with a 90 day warranty."

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

What Rick W. said is spot on. A smoked in truck or trailer can be made better but not completely eradicated unless the entire interior is gutted and new insulation, cloth products, etc. put in. Remember smoke is just a vapor and it will permeate any poruous material and leave residue. I was lucky I got a "non-smoking truck" and glad I did. The sticking buttons are probably due to soft drink or coffee splashes. I took my dash apart and cleaned it and you would be surprised the gunk back there. Comes down to what you and DW can live with. Mechanically, sounds like a nice truck once the little repairs are taken care of. Good luck with your decision.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived