Over 65' in BC?

CrazyCooter

Planning a trip to British Columbia next year and wondering if anyone has had an issue with being over 65' combined? Sure would hate to have it be common practice to break out the tape at the border crossing...... That would be a drag!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I think RickS takes his rig to BC and I know he is over 65'. Maybe he will chime in.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

No bigger danger of law enforcement there, than anywhere else. The border guard has more to worry about than your overall length, and isn't tasked with vehicle code enforcement. The LEO on the street is solely responsible for that.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

For BC..other provinces vary..

Maximum lengths for Recreational Vehicles
• Maximum total length for a motorhome is 14.0 metres (45.93 feet).
• Maximum length for a towed recreational vehicle is 12.5 metres (41 feet).
• Maximum overall length for a combination is 20.0 metres (65.6 feet).

I think as long as you are following your own state laws, you are ok.... for instance, in my proving you are not allowed to double tow but I have seen this here...

I am hoping so because what is legal for our rig here may not be where we travel...

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

BC will not permit double towing with light duty / rv's / personal vehicles regardless of your home place of registry.

What the interweb says:

Generally driver licensing / endorsements have reciprocity throughout the US and Canada - if you are legal in your home jurisdiction to drive your unit that's good everywhere.

Vehicle weight / dimensions / configurations permitted are subject to local regulations.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

That that is contradictory..

BC will not permit double towing....if you are legal in your home jurisdiction to drive your unit that's good everywhere...

No, it's not, your licence has reciprocity in US and Canada, your vehicle doesn't. The vehicle is subject to local rules

2007 Volvo 880

2014 Palomino Sabre 36qbok

OK, so I need to know the rules in every state and province I drive in just to make sure I am legal ?

I need to add to this. Where I live double towing is not allowed but I see them on the highway....

BTW, we are allowed a max length 75 feet 5 inches...so if I went to BC and I was max length for our regulations, I would be breaking the law ?

Interesting and informative thread..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Planning a trip to British Columbia next year and wondering if anyone has had an issue with being over 65' combined? Sure would hate to have it be common practice to break out the tape at the border crossing...... That would be a drag!

We did our trip to BC from Alberta in May to visit my family. We're 65' 58" (). It was a long weekend, lots of enforcement on the highways. Other than the usual double-take looks, including a couple of commercial inspectors, no problems. Bypassed the open scales, no problems.

2007 Volvo 880

2014 Palomino Sabre 36qbok

OK we have nothing more to worry about than here is sounds like.

I'm working on a back up plan for another temp hitch position that would make us legal to drive away if not allowed to , but the gap between the front cap and Jeep/SXS would likely be too small to make a sharp turn and the trailer would be nose high a few inches.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

OK, so I need to know the rules in every state and province I drive in just to make sure I am legal ?

I need to add to this. Where I live double towing is not allowed but I see them on the highway....

BTW, we are allowed a max length 75 feet 5 inches...so if I went to BC and I was max length for our regulations, I would be breaking the law ?

Interesting and informative thread..

I know this is off topic, but registration and licensing are the only things that are reciprocal between jurisdictions. Length, weight, width, doubles, triples, etc are set jurisdiction to jurisdiction. You may be perfectly legal in one state, but as soon as you cross the border to the next state/country/province you are completely illegal. You do need to know the laws of all the jurisdictions you travel through to make sure you are legal and then decide if you want to take the risk if you are not.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chad,

I know I wondered off topic but I suspect that the question would interest most non seasoned RV'ers that will be driving through many states / provinces. WE will be driving a great distance in the near future.

You have corrected an assumption I have had..

Thanks..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

I know this is off topic, but registration and licensing are the only things that are reciprocal between jurisdictions. Length, weight, width, doubles, triples, etc are set jurisdiction to jurisdiction. You may be perfectly legal in one state, but as soon as you cross the border to the next state/country/province you are completely illegal. You do need to know the laws of all the jurisdictions you travel through to make sure you are legal and then decide if you want to take the risk if you are not.

You mean Canadia won't accept any of my CCW's? :P

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Hey Cooter, let us know how it goes with those CCW's. We would like to know where to send cards and letters to keep you cheered up while they keep you in Canada.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

EXACTLY right. Do not assume what is legal in YOUR state is legal elsewhere...it may or may not be.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I could go crazy trying to make a cross country trip with my rig if I really tried to be "legal" in all states I might pull through. http://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/sizelimits.aspx

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

X2

I could go crazy trying to make a cross country trip with my rig if I really tried to be "legal" in all states I might pull through. http://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/sizelimits.aspx

That chart is behind the times for Minnesota. You are currently allowed to be 70' in length and no length restriction for the first trailer (used to be 28' max).

Mn Statute 169.81 subd 3c

Subd. 3c.Recreational vehicle combination.

Notwithstanding subdivision 3, a recreational vehicle combination may be operated without a permit if:

(1) the combination does not consist of more than three vehicles, and the towing rating of the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor is equal to or greater than the total weight of all vehicles being towed;

(2) the combination does not exceed 70 feet in length;

(3) the operator of the combination is at least 18 years of age;

(4) the trailer is only carrying watercraft, motorcycles, motorized bicycles, off-highway motorcycles, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, motorized golf carts, or equestrian equipment or supplies, and meets all requirements of law;

(5) the vehicles in the combination are connected to the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor and each other in conformity with section 169.82; and

(6) the combination is not operated within the seven-county metropolitan area, as defined in section 473.121, subdivision 2, during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

(1) the combination does not consist of more than three vehicles, and the towing rating of the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor is equal to or greater than the total weight of all vehicles being towed;

That looks like a pretty big "gotcha". We'd be okay with the big trucks, but pick-ups are rarely rated to tow what a double would weigh.

And then there's that next state........which ever way you might be going.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Damn, at 52 combined feet ..I am not legal in NJ.... a 40 ft 5th is but I guess you have to pull it with a smart car..

Hi Grassy,

Wouldn't this mean the trailer length alone?

Usually regulations refer to "vehicle combination" or similar language when they mean the overall length of the combination...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

New Jersey combined length is 50', according to the link posted. 40' trailer max, 40' motor-home max, with 50' 2 vehicle combined total. That also rules out towing a crew-cab pickup behind your motor-home.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived