Do any of you folks ever visit, stay a day or two at other HDT'ers homes?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

For the last 30 years as I wander around the country I have been visiting-staying at other motorcyclists homes while I travel. Since joining the HDT community I have been visiting-staying at other Ural riders homes as I work my way back home to Washington after attending the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson. With that in mind when I leave from Hutchinson this year I'll wander back home via Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and Oregon before getting home to Granite Falls Washington some time in very late November-early December.

I am house broke, fairly well mannered, travel with my Dachshund Service Dog, enjoy meeting folks and seeing new country, if you think you it would fun to meet me and my dog, have a spot large enough for us to park please post to this thread. Over the years I have met and stayed with MANY people, have made life long friendships and just get a kick out of traveling this way.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I've got space at my place and am always willing to have visitors. Although I am still a working stiff, so I'm not always around during the weekdays. I am in Lake County, CA along Highway 29 near Highway 20 and Highway 53 (The Clear Lake area - the largest natural freshwater lake in CA). There are some nice riding areas around here as well. It makes me miss my motorcycle sometimes. I will get another, one of these days.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I've got space at my place and am always willing to have visitors. Although I am still a working stiff, so I'm not always around during the weekdays. I am in Lake County, CA along Highway 29 near Highway 20 and Highway 53 (The Clear Lake area - the largest natural freshwater lake in CA). There are some nice riding areas around here as well. It makes me miss my motorcycle sometimes. I will get another, one of these days.

Howdy Chad,

Unforeseen circumstances prevented me from stopping by last year when you extended an invitation, as my plan comes together I'll try to work you into the "HDT-Ural Tour". Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch, in the mean time if you could PM me your address I'll add it to my list of stops and work on making it part of my route on the way home. :D

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I have recently been discussing a web-based project, sort of like www.airbnb.com for private RV sites. With the website, both sides of the transaction could check the background and feedback of the other (and equipment of the traveller) before continuing with the booking.

I think it would be a cool way to cross the country and a good way to meet some friendly people.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I have recently been discussing a web-based project, sort of like www.airbnb.com for private RV sites. With the website, both sides of the transaction could check the background and feedback of the other (and equipment of the traveller) before continuing with the booking.

I think it would be a cool way to cross the country and a good way to meet some friendly people.

Howdy bmzero,

If you get something like this going I would be interested in joining. Over the years I have met so many other riders from all over the country at different events, that and my years worth of ride reports have made me a pretty well known commodity in the dual sport and Ural motorcycle communities and on the internet in general so I am pretty easy to verify. However your point is well taken and one should always be wary of opening themselves to unknown people sadly there are those who are up to no good and will take advantage of the hospitality of others.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I recently saw an ad, I think it was on CL, doing some idea crunching for an RV based air B&B. Not sure what it was called exactly, but I will hunt around and see if I can find it again and post it here. Might be a neat thing to paruse.

Marcel

We've done it in Canada, but never South of 49. In my younger days, pre-internet, I've couch surfed North & South,East & Westwith 2 wheels under me. Met some great people, & some shady ladies. If you ever make an Alaska run, look us up, we can provide some "Boots on the ground" Intel, & a place to park. Goes for all the reprobates and ne'r do wells who read this.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you can back your trailer a quarter mile, or have a 30 ish foot trailer, youre welcome in Sealy, TX, 35 mi west of houston.

Howdy Exile,

Well I am pretty good at backing the trailer but a 1/4 mile is pushing it, my trailer is 45 feet long, truck and trailer is 68 feet over all. I stayed with a Ural rider who lived in the Houston area last year on the way home, sure is some flat country. Thanks for the invitation.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We've done it in Canada, but never South of 49. In my younger days, pre-internet, I've couch surfed North & South,East & Westwith 2 wheels under me. Met some great people, & some shady ladies. If you ever make an Alaska run, look us up, we can provide some "Boots on the ground" Intel, & a place to park. Goes for all the reprobates and ne'r do wells who read this.

Howdy Darryl,

I don't have any plans to drive the rig to Alaska, but if I ever do I'll try to make connect with you, thanks for the invitation.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I would be interested in a site like this too. We've booked several stays through AirBnB, and it's a pretty decent way to go for us due to some of our specific needs to take care of my wife's health-related dietary restrictions.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

I came across this article -

http://www.everything-about-rving.com/airbnb-for-rvs.html

It claims https://rvshare.com/ as the AirBnB of RV'ing, but it seems to be focused on renting actual RV's, not RV spots.

Then, I found this article - http://blog.near-me.com/rvwithme-is-bringing-the-airbnb-experience-to-rv-life talking about https://rvwithme.com which looks to be exactly what we're talking about.

You would be more than welcome, but I'm a bit out of your way in Indiana. Check out https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

I'm a member and have hosted a few people. Your length would rule out many of them, many don't even have room for a 40 foot bus. Search has a filter for length.

Dick

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

Then, I found this article - http://blog.near-me.com/rvwithme-is-bringing-the-airbnb-experience-to-rv-life talking about https://rvwithme.com which looks to be exactly what we're talking about.

After doing a few searches on this site, it looks like there may be only a handful of properties listed in the system. However, the site seems to function very well. It is laid out very well and the booking process seems to be what I would expect. As with any community supplied network (like my FollowMyBuild site), it takes a large mass of users before it becomes adopted by the market.

That being said, this site is exactly what I would have built, so I see no reason to put in development effort for a similar product.

Howdy All,

For the last 30 years as I wander around the country I have been visiting-staying at other motorcyclists homes while I travel. Since joining the HDT community I have been visiting-staying at other Ural riders homes as I work my way back home to Washington after attending the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson. With that in mind when I leave from Hutchinson this year I'll wander back home via Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and Oregon before getting home to Granite Falls Washington some time in very late November-early December.

I am house broke, fairly well mannered, travel with my Dachshund Service Dog, enjoy meeting folks and seeing new country, if you think you it would fun to meet me and my dog, have a spot large enough for us to park please post to this thread. Over the years I have met and stayed with MANY people, have made life long friendships and just get a kick out of traveling this way.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do you ever travel east of the Mississippi ? If you do and are in northeast Ohio you are welcome for a visit and stay. This goes for the whole HDT group. I live in Canton, Ohio and we are known for one thing, The Pro Football Hall of Fame. I am just west of Rt. 77 by 3 miles.

Good luck in your travels,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

You would be more than welcome, but I'm a bit out of your way in Indiana. Check out https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

I'm a member and have hosted a few people. Your length would rule out many of them, many don't even have room for a 40 foot bus. Search has a filter for length.

Dick

Howdy Dick,

Thanks for your reply and invitation, I rarely travel east of the Mississippi but stranger things have happened. Thanks for the link I'll check it out. There is a guy somewhere in your area, goes by the name of "Diesel Doctor" who has a very good reputation when it comes to installing a tune in truck ECM's someday I might travel east and look him up if I do I'll make contact and we can talk about meeting and visiting.

Dave

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave,

Do you ever travel east of the Mississippi ? If you do and are in northeast Ohio you are welcome for a visit and stay. This goes for the whole HDT group. I live in Canton, Ohio and we are known for one thing, The Pro Football Hall of Fame. I am just west of Rt. 77 by 3 miles.

Good luck in your travels,

Al

Howdy Al,

I rarely travel east of the Mississippi, but I do appreciate your invitation to visit and thank you for it. If your a foot ball fan I would bore you to tears, the only sports I have ever been interested in have to have some combination of wheels, engines and mayhem to get my blood pumping, yeah I know, I ain't quite right in the head.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We're not HDT folks, but we have hosted often 45ft MH's with toads at our acreage South of Calgary and our daughter and future son in law happy to do the same when they take over, so for sure you can add us onto the list of RV Airbnb. It's fun having others stay with you and share some commonalities of travels. Most importantly for us, it gives us the opportunity to pay it forwards when others have offered us a spot for the night around the beautiful continent.

Saved many a fortune over Stampede when pricing and lack of availability of all accommodations increases exponentially.

Ever you are in our area, just send us a pm :)

We're not HDT folks, but we have hosted often 45ft MH's with toads at our acreage South of Calgary and our daughter and future son in law happy to do the same when they take over, so for sure you can add us onto the list of RV Airbnb. It's fun having others stay with you and share some commonalities of travels. Most importantly for us, it gives us the opportunity to pay it forwards when others have offered us a spot for the night around the beautiful continent.

Saved many a fortune over Stampede when pricing and lack of availability of all accommodations increases exponentially.

Ever you are in our area, just send us a pm :)

Howdy Full Time Wannabe,

What a generous offer of hospitality, I am sure many traveling in your area would be thankful for it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It seems there might be a bunch of us on this forum who would be willing to provide parking, hook-ups, guide service, etc. Perhaps we could form as splinter group on the above mentioned site.

We're in south-east Indiana, just west of Cincinnati, and have plenty of space for any rig, and hookups.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Dave,

We are new to the forum and also to the HDT Community. We just purchased our HDT last month and our Smart 3 or 4 months ago. We are still in the building stages on the truck. We plan to attend the HDT Rally in Kansas this year. We have 10 acres to turn that rig around. We are right on the Missouri/Arkansas State line on the out skirts or the Mark Twain National Forest. There is miles of great riding around here. Thats if you don't have a problem riding with someone on a Harley-Davidson. I am sure we could find plenty of trouble to get into if you were interested in a visit down here.

Norm

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

Dave,

We are new to the forum and also to the HDT Community. We just purchased our HDT last month and our Smart 3 or 4 months ago. We are still in the building stages on the truck. We plan to attend the HDT Rally in Kansas this year. We have 10 acres to turn that rig around. We are right on the Missouri/Arkansas State line on the out skirts or the Mark Twain National Forest. There is miles of great riding around here. Thats if you don't have a problem riding with someone on a Harley-Davidson. I am sure we could find plenty of trouble to get into if you were interested in a visit down here.

Norm

Howdy Norm,

Welcome to the HDT list, I am honored that your first post to this list is a reply to my thread. Thanks for the invitation to visit, I am currently down to 8 motorcycles one of which is a Road King Classic so riding with one who is astride a Harley is something I am quite used too. When I leave from the rally the morning of the 16th, I'll be headed to visit friends in Russelville and Hot Springs, so stopping to visit with you work if it done directly from the rally. If this would work for you please send me a PM with an address so I can work your stop into my route, if doing the visit directly after the rally won't work for you that's totally understandable. Thank you very much for your kind offer of hospitality.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived