Closed

NewToFullTimeRVing

Grand Design and DRV are in 2 separate quality and build classes. I would go for the DRV if possible.

Don't be too concerned about being over length within reason. Most of the folks that carry a Smart and have a 38'+ RV are overlength.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hey guys,

I am looking to transition into full time RVing due to my company allowing me to work remotely. I will be selling the house and looking at Fifth Wheel Trailers. I have been looking at the Grand Design Momentum 399th. The only comparable trailer I can find to this is the DRV full house, however the final sale price is about $40,000 more for the DRV. I am looking at the 2017 model right now. (I would need to get a ToyHauler as I will be traveling by myself and would like to have the motorcycle and ATV).

Can anyone advise if they have suggestions/ reviews of this Fifth Wheel, or others like it for full time living? My max budget would preferably be $100,000, however can do up to $115,000-ish.

Also, if you could advise on towing- I am looking at an F450 due to size. I was looking at a HDT, however I would quickly exceed the 65' requirement in many states with a 43' trailer.

Any other tips/suggestions for full time RVing would be great!

Thank you in advance-

Justin

I looked at tons of "Toyhaulers" and bought a used one that I thought would last me 10 years of full time travel. It didn't come close. Thankfully I did not pay full retail to find that out, but the depreciation even on a used rig is quite staggering. I would NEVER purchase a NEW commercially available Toyhauler. Yes, you can see everything before you buy it, but in less than a year you will see many of the things you cannot believe you didn't see or notice before shelling out that much money.

If you are certain you want a toyhauler then you need to have it built for you. You can have a very solid long lasting trailer at the length you want with the stuff you want. I'm partial to Spacecraft but New Horizons and Forks could do a nice hauler for you. It is a daunting prospect and I am still perfecting mine to my needs. You don't have to do everything all at once, unless you can find one already done the way you want it.

An F450 will not be enough truck for a good quality toyhauler, especially in the 40 foot range. You can get a HDT with a wheel base very similar to the F 450 so that issue really isn't one at all. You can check out a new video from Gregg Shields that covers lengths and how to resolve some of the problems. You might even find a truck you might like.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Forks and New Horizons will be way more than you stated you were willing to spend. They are the best you can get though. DRV has a robust substructure. Stacked tube steel chassis DRV vs steel beam on the Momentum. As stated earlier they are not in same class. Either the DRV, NH or Forks will need an MDT minimum. They are well built and heavy. Some are towing with 550/5500 trucks. Personally if I would spend that much in a truck, it would be an HDT.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The total you're looking to spend appears to be in the $170K range for truck and trailer.

While there is no "perfect" RV, you might want to consider a used class A (preferable diesel pusher) with a lift on the back for the bike, towing a half ton pickup with an ATV in the bed of the pickup. Yes, you sacrifice some living space in a Class A versus a 5er. But, the interior will be all living space, not some living space and a garage. You are much less likely to exceed the length laws, too.

I had a 2014 Cyclone 4000 for a year and never found a way to convert the garage into usable space once the bike was out. So my 44' 5er was actually a 32' 5er with a 12' garage. Other people have found ways to make the garage usable.

Another option is to pull a small trailer with bike and/or atv behind the 5er (double tow) if you plan to avoid the states on both coasts where the practice is illegal, but sometimes done.

Check the for sale $ection on this forum. Might find a complete set up you like. I don't like toy haulers for the very reason posted eariler. I carry a Smart car on back of truck. Some carries atvs. You can do a lot with a hdt conversion. Not trying to say you should but consider. You are talking about 24k weight in camper. A member on here has a Forks camper at 27k. This is either MDT or HDT.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We have a 2010 Volvo 670 with a deluxe SMART car bed and several extras that we purchased from Gregg Shields of RV Haulers for slightly under $150K. We also own a 2016 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites which is just a shade under 39 feet. We are 65 feet end to end, thanks to Gregg who shaved a few inches from of the design to bring us into the legal limit. We LOVE our truck (THOR) - pulls like a champ; handles well with the rig in strong winds or rain, and goes up and down grades with ease. With the truck and our full-time RVing DRV and Smart we weigh 44K lbs. Imagine taking that down a 6% grade in the rain and wind behind a regular pick up! We DO NOT love our DRV - although it is very comfortable and looks beautiful we have had a constant string of repairs due to so-called "infant mortality": left hydraulic leveling system leaked and failed in down position, dining window shades ripped out of wall and dropped to table, both bedroom slide Windows have broken and had to be replaced and I suspect the living room slide window is about to go; bathroom rain sensor fan has failed, slides gouged/scratched five tiles, both bedroom and bathroom door jams came apart, and numerous trims and decorative touches have cracked or lifted up. Several shelf holders have broken. If I had to do it again, I most definitely would have gone with New Horizon, Continental/Forks, or Spacecraft. Buy used to keep within your budget. Post what you would like to find on this forum (in "Wanted") and see what responses you get. We had many mods done on the DRV so the price tag was just about $150K as well - top of the line price; not top of the line value and DRV customer service lacks any sense of urgency or accommodation for impacted customers. If you have a major failure it had better be from 8 to 4 M-F and you had better hope they didn't take off the day or leave early because they are typically one person deep in terms of service departments. They do return phone calls but not promptly and they are constantly losing notes or records.

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

It's considered poor form to edit as heavily as you have. It prevents those who come behind from gaining the knowledge you have acquired.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I looked at tons of "Toyhaulers" and bought a used one that I thought would last me 10 years of full time travel. It didn't come close. Thankfully I did not pay full retail to find that out, but the depreciation even on a used rig is quite staggering. I would NEVER purchase a NEW commercially available Toyhauler. Yes, you can see everything before you buy it, but in less than a year you will see many of the things you cannot believe you didn't see or notice before shelling out that much money.

If you are certain you want a toyhauler then you need to have it built for you. You can have a very solid long lasting trailer at the length you want with the stuff you want. I'm partial to Spacecraft but New Horizons and Forks could do a nice hauler for you. It is a daunting prospect and I am still perfecting mine to my needs. You don't have to do everything all at once, unless you can find one already done the way you want it.

An F450 will not be enough truck for a good quality toyhauler, especially in the 40 foot range. You can get a HDT with a wheel base very similar to the F 450 so that issue really isn't one at all. You can check out a new video from Gregg Shields that covers lengths and how to resolve some of the problems. You might even find a truck you might like.

Rod

I towed a 45' Jayco Seismic 4212 with a GVW of 21K with truck in my sig, and loaded I was over 900# UNDER the trucks GVWR..Didn't need a MDT or a HDT to tow with. I towed all through the mountains of NC, VA. TN, VA and WVa with some Interstate grades at 7% and some secondary roads at 10-13%..never an issue. You don't necessarily need a semi truck to tow some of today's 17-23K 5er's..the 1013 and up 3500/350 dually's are more than capable..and you can use the dually as your daily driver and go through drive thru's..go grocery shopping with it and I don't have to buy meet another little car to carry around on the semi...no extra insurance, no extra cost..Use my truck and drive it where've we want to and still have the truck bed to haul stuff around in...Easy getting in and out of for me, still recouping from a stroke, and my wife who recently had hip replacement surgery..Also easier for our dogs to get into the truck.

A350/3500 dually, properly equipped can tow safely what OP has asked about,

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

As stated, I was under GVWR of my truck with 900# to spare, OEM rear air suspension assist kept combo level..and our truck rides like a dream..It's a pleasure to drive and tow with it, wrapped in the lap of luxury..Don't know what year model Glenn's F350 was, but sounds like it was over loaded if one needed air bags to keep truck level..."rides like a sled" doesn't speak highly of the Ford..I stand my statement..One doesn't need a semi tractor trailer rig to tow a 21K 5th wheel,

Jim

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

Glen was driving one of those overloaded RAM trucks. Not a Ford.

I didn't know what truck he owned..sorry for my stupidity..same tone as usual on this forum..I'll ask one more time..What year truck? What model..The truck was overloaded,I really don't care what brand it was.. thus the reason, in his words, "it rode like a sled"...only sled I know about, is one you ride in the snow..quite smooth, I may add..but again...there are cliques on this forum, and one dares not disagree with one of them or their cronies.

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

Thought it was a Sierra?

How would one know?? I don't live on this forum, and with post like this, understand why some have left...

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

NC Hauler, on 21 Jul 2016 - 3:07 PM, said:NC Hauler, on 21 Jul 2016 - 3:07 PM, said:

I didn't know what truck he owned..sorry for my stupidity..same tone as usual on this forum..I'll ask one more time..What year truck? What model..The truck was overloaded,I really don't care what brand it was.. thus the reason, in his words, "it rode like a sled"...only sled I know about, is one you ride in the snow..quite smooth, I may add..but again...there are cliques on this forum, and one dares not disagree with one of them or their cronies.

Don't know what your issue is, I was poking fun at the Ford vs RAM vs Chevy crowd. As I have said several times on here, I don't care what you pull with. Hitch a team of mules or oxen to the front of your RV. I don't care.

LDT, MDT or HDT all have their pros and cons. What you pull with will depend on your finances, what you are comfortable with, what you can get into and out of, what comforts you want to have on the road, capacity reserve that you desire and a host of other factors. Personally, I don't like to haul a fiver much over 15K with my F350. I don't mind pulling anything with the Freightliner M2-112 or the Kenworth T680. All three trucks are in different segments and all three have drawbacks and advantages over each other.

In my case, we are still physically able to climb into the larger trucks and I prefer air brakes and the comfort of the larger truck and the capabilities they offer. The M2 is our daily driver on the road just like the F350 was. It fits in the same size parking space and the only limiting factor as far as size went was the height. That particular truck is a good compromise between the LDT pickup and the HDT/sleeper trucks as it is the size of the LDT with the power of the HDT. The M2 fit our requirements for a truck when we bought it but our needs have changed as well as what we desire in a tow vehicle.

In your case, the ease of getting into and out of a LDT and using it as a daily driver were some of YOUR prime considerations in the vehicle you purchased. With us, having the ability to use the truck as a "mini motor home" for short trips, being able to tow our large fiver and having the ability to bring a smaller car along with us became a high priority once the kids were no longer a factor in our decisions (don't need 4 doors now).

You don't have to agree with everyone on this forum and you shouldn't expect everyone to agree with you. By discussing the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of RV's and tow vehicles, we ALL learn.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on THIS forum, though I've been towing for over 41 years, I have nothing to add, most in here, I find are closed minded and have all the right answers..There is one mind set on this forum, thus the "special emphasis" on MDT's and HDT's...I've gotten use to it, have over stayed my welcome and let the clique go their own way...I'll go mine.

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

Thought everyone knew. 2012 Chevy dually Duramax 3500. It was fine with the DRV, less pin weight. The Teton has close to 6k pin. Bed sides were too high to level Teton , so hauler bed had to be installed. Put rear axle near max. Bowed overload springs backwards. Installed air bags and added just enough to put springs in a normal bow. Rode fine on a smooth road. How many of them do you find? rough road would beat me up. But wished I had done this to start with. The HDT is a sweet hauler. The Smart is such a benefit. Can get easily in or out of construction parking lots. Saving a lot on fuel cost also. The dually was terrible in parking lots. Has been times I had to get someone to come off job to move their vehicle so I could get out. Now after 12 hard hours this sucks. Don't see why you getting upset. I have rode with others towing 21k and they were content. It beat us up. They were happy. We had a job come up several states away and they took a hotel. Said no way they tow that heavy camper that far. But they say they got plenty of truck. Bragg about it. lol. I really don't believe most know just how sweet an HDT hauler is.

How would one know?? I don't live on this forum, and with post like this, understand why some have left...

Well, someone came out swinging. Shrug. I see Glenn came back with a Silverado. Does that mean I spend too much time here?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

LOL Darryl, some times I think we all do.

As far as pickup trucks go, I wish I could take a Cummins from a Ram, an Allison from a Chevy and put that drivetrain in a Ford truck. I would then have what I consider the ideal truck. I would also be burned at the stake by my Ford buddies. ?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

LOL Darryl, some times I think we all do.

As far as pickup trucks go, I wish I could take a Cummins from a Ram, an Allison from a Chevy and put that drivetrain in a Ford truck. I would then have what I consider the ideal truck. I would also be burned at the stake by my Ford buddies.

Only if they knew about it . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived