Closed

NewToFullTimeRVing

Why is the title switched to closed? I am assuming that a mod or admin did it as I do not thing you can edit your title on this forum.

If you are the original poster you may edit your title, I believe. Maybe he got tired of thinking information was being posted and found nothing of interest. Seems the topic got off on a tangent. Feel sorry for that.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

LOL Darryl, some times I think we all do.

As far as pickup trucks go, I wish I could take a Cummins from a Ram, an Allison from a Chevy and put that drivetrain in a Ford truck. I would then have what I consider the ideal truck. I would also be burned at the stake by my Ford buddies.

I know of someone in the Fort Benning area that has done just this.... Sweet truck, but EXPENSIVE and time consuming to do. Getting the Allison to talk to a newer 6.7 Cummins was an issue. But it's not a stock engine either, twin turbo, injector pumps, etc, etc, etc...

But this guy also has a Foxbody Mustang with the GM LS turbo motor in it....

Back to the subject ^_^

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Well put Georgia Hybrid! Let me add that when we started talking to a variety of folks who had transitioned to HDTS from Fords/Dodges/Chevys the number one reason they had switched was because their pick-ups were pushed through intersections or off roads on grades and/or bad weather by a heavy fiver. Still, HDTs are not for everyone and as the man pointed out, personal needs and lifestyles factor in. I don't post that often but I read a lot and have learned a lot about the HDTs and Fivers through this forum. Lots of frequent posters commonly joke around and no harm is intended. I definitely don't agree with all opinions posted on this forum but I am sure I am correct in assuming folks don't always agree with mine, either. What is unquestionably true is that people on this forum are quick to answer questions, help out total strangers if help is needed, and spend a lot of their personal time providing knowledge, resources, and hands-on help. I for one am pretty grateful for that as are many others who have availed themselves of what is offered here.

And on the DRV side, our ceiling light ripped out of the ceiling last night while I was working at the dining table. And I forgot to mention in my earlier post that BOTH of our DRV-supplied folding chairs broke the second and third times they were sat upon!

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Actually Ford did make an F 650 with a Cummins engine and Allison tranny. There are some on TruckPaper.com.

Also can add me to the list of those pushed into an intersection in a dually. Hasn't happened with this Freightliner, knock on wood, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

When we began our journey to by a brand new fiver three years ago (replacing a used Landmark) we were all about getting either a new Teton, Newmar, Excel, or DRV (Mobile Suite). Unfortunately Teton had gone out of business due to the economy and new units in our floorplan of choice were scarce if not non-existent. Plus I wasn't interested in buying another used RV. Newmar had shut down their fifthwheel production. Peterson Industries (Excel) wasn't building the floorplan we wanted at the time This left us with DRV on our short list. But in comparing the brand new 2013 - 2014 Mobile Suites that were available on the central Florida dealer lots surrounding us to the same model year Redwoods, we found that the finish work in the Redwoods far exceeded all of the MS units we looked at. Which was disappointing to us as we have several friends who own earlier builds of the MS and the quality seemed far better in theirs than the new ones we had looked at. We have not looked at them since, so I'm not saying that their quality hasn't come back up for what we saw, plus not saying I wouldn't consider owning one in the future either.

We've been extremely happy with our 2013 Redwood 36FB (now called the 38FB). Both being an inch or two shy of 40' overall length. In comparing apples to apples between almost identical floorplans and model year at the time, there was about a 10K difference in the MSRP pricing between the MS and our four seasons full body paint and double pane frameless windows RW. The RW being the lower of the two. Let me note here that in 2012 Thor was now building the Redwood after having acquired the company shortly before. So our Redwood would be considered one of the early Thor versions. DRV was not yet a member of the Thor family until becoming one in late 2015 or early 2016. Under the Thor umbrella I must say that I've been very pleased with the handling of the warranty the few times we've had to use it. We've also had many compliments about our RW from our MS friends, some even stating they would seriously consider one in the future.

So based on the price rage you've stated, I would recommend you at least look at the Redwoods. If you are lucky as we were, you might even find a well marked down clearance model after the new model year units hit the lots. Good luck on what ever brand you choose.

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Archived