Advice on year and model Smart Car

jpar19

Hi all

So after much prodding, poking, cajoling and pleading, I have finally made some headway with the DW concerning the need and wisdom of purchasing a Smart Car to haul on the 2010 Volvo 630. (After I build a bed of course) We plan to purchase a used one and I would like to know if there are any years or models to avoid? How many miles can I expect to get from the engine (with normal maintenance) Any potential pitfalls that you can help me avoid is much appreciated. Thanks all.

I would plan your bed build based on the newer and wider 2016 model. I'm not sure if my question of if the 5" width difference is on the wheel base, or just body parts was ever answered?

But, no matter which one you get now - stuff happens and you may see yourself needing or wanting the newer model in the future. Build that into your bed design now.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to have A Major Smart dealer in town. Three Point Motors. My current one is a Generation 1, Diesel 2006 Passion which was the top model in those days. They are predisposed to birth defects/ mechanical issues, which if you don't stay on top of will cause big problems or you can lose the motor then you trash the car.

Generation 2 is gas, lots of refinements, more power, they are OK, but just that, OK.

The 2016/ 2017 which is out now are lightyears ahead. Yes, wider, more stable ride, compensates for crosswind, cruise control, automatic transmission, equal wheeltrack front and rear, tach, clock. The doors sound more solid when you close them. Steering is a lot more responsive, it almost oversteers, extremely tight turning radius.

The biggest improvement over the Gen 1 is the power of the Gen 3. With my '06 i'm constantly shifting between 5 and 6 gear going up a certain hill, cruise wouldn't work in that situation. With the Gen 3 not only will it hold the gear in cruise but will accelerate. At 65 mph, rpm is about 2500.

Re loading. The Gen 2 will fit on the deck with the old chocks from Gen 1....I think. I took pics.

The Gen 3, will still fit on the deck but chocks and ramp holes need to be moved but at least you are not dealing with an offset wheeltrack.

With my deck made to accommodate a Gen 1, fitting a Gen 3 is no problem.

See my earlier post re the Smart.

I've asked the salesman for specific options and trim information.

I've read that backup cameras, lane assist and possibly some other options were coming but have not yet heard when.

To get leather interior and electric mirrors I have to jump up to the top model and the increase costs either 3 or 5k. For a decent mid level price is around 21k Canadian.

I have pics with the 2 and 3 on the deck if you want. I showed the salesman, he is still recovering.

If you have more car related questions, I can get the answers here in town along with pics of both new and service loaners.

My '06 will be sold and will pick up a 16 or 17.

Roger

We have a 2011 Passion with a 7 year drive train warranty. We like it more than we expected to. That said, we would like to upgrade to a new wider model. The new one should fit our bed with minor adjustments. The new ones come with cruise control. Probably due to having ADD, I have trouble staying at a given speed without cruise. I decided not to install cruise when several others were doing it at the National HDT Rally last year because I thought we would be upgrading to a new model.

The only thing holding us back is the cost of the new ones. When we think about the cost of new, we feel our 2011 is just fine . IMHO, if you can afford a new one, that is the way to go if it will fit on your truck. Otherwise, maybe us, or someone else here, will be ready to upgrade when you're ready to buy a used one.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I would plan your bed build based on the newer and wider 2016 model. I'm not sure if my question of if the 5" width difference is on the wheel base, or just body parts was ever answered?

But, no matter which one you get now - stuff happens and you may see yourself needing or wanting the newer model in the future. Build that into your bed design now.

That is really a good idea about planning for a new Smart car. How much room does someone need to fit a new (2016) Smart on the deck of their truck ? How many inches wide should someone plan on ? I am trying to do some planning myself for the future. This post has come at the right time.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

My deck is 97" wide and the Gen 2 and 3 hang over too much for my liking. I'd prefer a deck that was closer in width to the cars length.

Sometimes perception is more important than reality when stopped by Leo's. With a 630 the cab is 5" narrower so if your deck matches mine the car will hang over even more.

Someone wants to send me an e-mail, I can send pics of the 2013v and the 2016 loaded showing clearances. Post them if you want.

I drove all 3 last week, 06,13 and 16. 2017 will be in this month sometime.

The 16 transmission is a lot smoother.

If figure the extra costs of fixing the 06 are offset by additional financing at.9% for 5 yrs and 4 yr 80,000 warranty. Not sure if that is miles or kms.

The Gen 2's are Ok, but just that, OK. The Gen 3's are light years ahead, I had one to use for 4 days this last weekend.

If someone wants, I can drop by TPM this morning, take pics and get info to fwd to anyone who wants it or them.

Drivers seat has ht adjustment. Passengers doesn't.

My bed is 100" wide, plus small wheel "flares". The smart looks fine on that width and that is what I recommend.

There is no comparison between the new smart (Gen 3) and my 2012. Night and day different - really, a different car. We would love a new one and may do that someday. BUT, the cost/benefit analysis says to stay with what I have for now. I do like the 2012....but it has some rough edges. I have to say, though, that it has been 100% reliable....never an issue.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for posting some numbers on the bed width. What is the distance from the back of the cab or the drom box to where the side of the car is ? I am asking about the width of the car. How much inches do I need there ? Right now it looks like the bed width would be 100" / 102". My Polaris RZR needs 60" for it's width.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Like you Al, I'm waiting for someone to say what the body width of the car is, and also the outside width of the rear (or front being the same) wheels.

I feel that I planned my bed build with enough room to allow, but was wondering what actual is.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

I will take a tape and get the measurements today....anything else? Do I have your e-mail somewhere.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for posting some numbers on the bed width. What is the distance from the back of the cab or the drom box to where the side of the car is ?

About 4". The fenders at the bottom are the widest point. The mirror is higher up but the car tapers in by then so the mirror isn't much of an issue.

My measurements were taken from the back of the fairings which are about 17"

I am asking about the width of the car. How much inches do I need there ? Right now it looks like the bed width would be 100" / 102". My Polaris RZR needs 60" for it's width.

Al

Outside of tires is 64" Outside width of car 66 front and back, Mirror sticks out 6.5" tucked in loses 1.5" Lose another 1" maybe 2" because car is narrower at the mirror.

Trailer hitch not available, so I'm told. Only 1 pull point and the other side for the pull point is not strong enough to take a bolt. I'm told the best way is to put some material between the 2 behind or under the car and fasten pull bar to that. Cost maybe 500$

TPMS available 500$ Front collision alert, 290$, I think.

Took more pics today. I've driven both.

I'm interested in anyone that has detailed info on how to load a Gen 3 smart. References to other websites or documentation would be useful. At the moment, it does not look like there is a rational way to do it at all - other than driving it on.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

According to the Service and Parts people at TPM, they have not heard that Curt is making a hitch for the Gen 2 or 3. If I get mine in a couple of weeks I can get the Parts guy who will make a system take pics.

There is one pull point on the drivers side rear but the passengers side won't take the stress of another. A guy at TPM installed a cross piece between to accommodate a hitch.

Rocky, as far as I can determine there is no hitch for the new smart....at least when I researched it a month or more ago. If it stays that way we will have to come up with another method for loading, since there are no dual tow hooks (not even hidden). This is all based on what the forums are saying - I've obviously not torn a car apart to look.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Would be interesting to see what that looks like and if it would work for our application. They are transported and strapped down, so wondering where that contact point might be and again, would it work for our application.

I guess I need to get myself down to a smart dealer!!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Would be interesting to see what that looks like and if it would work for our application. They are transported and strapped down, so wondering where that contact point might be and again, would it work for our application.

I guess I need to get myself down to a smart dealer!!!!

They have one tie-down point now, for transport. Not two. And no "hidden" ones. And you cannot pull from one point.

www.jackdanmayer.com

It is probably not applicable, but I wonder how they secure the new smart cars on the trucks they deliver them to the dealers with. Unlikely, but possible they use attachment point(s) we could use to pull it up on bed with.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived