first the turbo went, now EGR problems....

jeffw

Last week the turbo failed and it was fixed on Friday. Sunday we drove to New Jersey without problems. Tuesday we were about half-way back and the check engine light came on. The truck was still driving ok so we kept going and when we got to the rest area I checked the diagnostics:

Engine ECU MID 128 SID 266 FMI 13

A quick google search told me it's an error for EGR valve #2.

The fault cleared when the truck sat for a bit, but came back about an hour later. Later in the drive it was pretty clear that the engine was de-rated as I was stuck climbing hills at around 55-60. We stopped again at a rest stop for a break and the fault cleared and the truck was back to full power.

The previous owner told me that both EGR valves were replaced before he purchased the truck.

I took the truck to my indy mechanic, but he doesn't have the software to try to troubleshoot further. He suggested I take the truck to the dealer he uses for all his work, which is in Portland, ME (O'Connor Trucks) about 90 minutes away.

Anyone have any experience with EGR problems? This is a 2007 with the Volvo D12...

-jeff (about to reach the end of my $10k reserve fund....)

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I may be able to help here. My D13 has 2 of these gadgets. Each one of these valves can do 2 functions. I forgot what they are but others will know. The 2 locations these valves go only does one function each. As I recall, they are on each side close to the top of the engine. Easy to replace.

You may be able to switch the EGR valves and be home free. This is not a big ticket item, your reserve should still be intact.

I went thru this in January. We swapped locations of the valves.

Hope it works for you.

Roger

Here is a link, albeit somewhat crude, that shows how they work and a kitchen table cure.

Here is a video that shows what is involved in removing an EGR Valve:

I have never R&R one on a Volvo, though I did on a Cummins and it was quite similar and not that bad to do.

The second video also goes on to show how to install a kit to eliminate the EGR. Not so sure that would be a grand idea, however, the first part of the video is instructional for the R&R.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Personally, I think that with the relative low miles that most people put on thier trucks pulling an rv, if you were to get them in a known state of functionality. And then including them in a routine maintenance program, it shouldn't be that bad.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Oh for the old days.......the road draft tube......and a well maintained engine.

Drive on..........(make sure the scarf on your road draft tube is pointed to the.....rear)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

If you read the disclaimer at the start of OTR's video it plainly says their mod is strictly for off-road use only and it is not legal of road usage.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Just an opinion which could be worthless since I own a Cummins, but couple of my clients dealt with an EGR issues on D12 in the past. Volvo for some reason has two of them, which means double the fun and double the money when they go.

Unless they have better troubleshooting software, there was no way to "guess" which one was really bad. So it was a 50/50 chance to replace the right one doing just one and it was serious money to replace just one and "really serious money" to do both. But this info is at least two years old when last time client of mine dealt with it.

Just an opinion which could be worthless since I own a Cummins, but couple of my clients dealt with an EGR issues on D12 in the past. Volvo for some reason has two of them, which means double the fun and double the money when they go.

Unless they have better troubleshooting software, there was no way to "guess" which one was really bad. So it was a 50/50 chance to replace the right one doing just one and it was serious money to replace just one and "really serious money" to do both. But this info is at least two years old when last time client of mine dealt with it.

The fault code I'm getting from the dash says EGR #2 out of calibration. So hopefully the ECU knows which one..

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I really don't see a concern in disabling the egr. It is not obvious and I don't see these trucks being smog tested. I had the egr disabled on my 05 Duramax also. Gained a little mpg and ran better. Best thing oil stayed cleaner. It is very widespread , disabling egr. There is not a stock diesel on my job.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Jeff, hopefully it is just sticking or you have a bad position sensor. But if you go to replace them I'd do them both....if one is bad the second cannot be far behind. But if the were really replaced recently they should not be bad. It will be worth cleaning them if you can, since you know they are new. Or at least you think they are....

And as far as disabling them...with a heavily computer controlled truck you best research it well and know the side effects. It may be simple and work. But I have heard some horror stories on heavy diesels.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you read the disclaimer at the start of OTR's video it plainly says their mod is strictly for off-road use only and it is not legal of road usage.

Much like the yeast kits that were sold during the Prohibition era. The label on the package would include a list of things that the ingredients should not be combined with because "an illegal alcoholic beverage could result".

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Also keep in mind... the diagnostic software can sometimes only indicate one EGR valve malfunction at a time so after changing out one bad valve the other may still be malfunctioning.

The diagnostic software will only indicate one of the EGR having a problem even if both are bad. In my case both were bad. I did not have the time to fix and took it to Volvo (my last trip to Volvo) and they only replaced the one indicated in the diagnostic software as being bad. I did not even get off the dealers lot when the other valve thru a code.

To replace the second only cost me the price of the 2nd EGR after the fit I threw but they had to repeat all the tear down again to replace the 2nd EGR instead of doing both at the same time. What it cost me, in addition to the heartburn, was another day in the shop.

IMO if you are replacing one then replace both. Never heard of swapping them. Personally I would consider that just a quick fix to get me going again until I could replace them. I figure it has already bit the dust the other one is not too far behind.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I installed the OTR kit and all is good. One of my egr valves was stuck open, so removed it hammered the plunger closed and re installed. Emgine runs smooth and no codes. The OTR kit is undetectable visually, just in case. The local Volvo mech.couldn't find any sign of it till I showed him. He has since installed this kit on at least one truck. Hooked the Volvo to toyhauler last weekend and did a trial run. Was all good. Leave for Alaska in about 3 weeks.

As an addem, our local Volvo guy told me that these EGR valves and cooler are a constant problem, and Volvo only warranties them if dealer installed. May or may not be true. The valves are not too dear, but the cooler is. The OTR kit deletes it all.

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

Archived