Oil change

aunut

1. In my opinion, you don't need to change the oil with that few miles. The exception might be if your rv is new and still under factory warranty, you should follow their recommendations so as to avoid any possible problems if you have a claim.

2. I have always used a "good" quality "Dino" oil formulated for diesel engines, (Shell Rotella 15w-40, Valvoline) on our vehicles as I can't justify the higher cost of straight synthetic oil due to the lower mileage most rvers travel.

I would suggest and oil analysis by Blackstone or JPL labs. They can tell you if it's OK to extend the change interval.

I agree with this, but base your oil changes on the owner's manual recommendations if the chassis is still under warranty to avoid violating this. Once ours was beyond the chassis warranty I went to using the Blackstone Lab recommendations. On our Ford chassis they stated 3500 miles between oil changes no matter what type of oil was used so I stayed with conventional oils through out the warranty, for cost reasons.

We have changed ours annually since we purchased it 2 years ago but we didn't have service records. Last year we sent in oil samples, they came back great. This year we have driven way fewer miles so will go by another oil sample.

Changing at 6 mo on low miles seems excessive to me unless the vehicle manual requires it. If changing based on time I go 12 Mo on both gas & diesel. I use Pennzoil or Castro dino in all my gas engines, including 05 Honda at 120k, 02 Jag at 175k, 88 Mustang at 42k, and 67 Ford pickup at 60k. At least one of the cars gets changed based on miles rather than time. On 03 dp with Cummins ISC at 110k I use Rosella dino.

I agree with this, but base your oil changes on the owner's manual recommendations if the chassis is still under warranty to avoid violating this. Once ours was beyond the chassis warranty I went to using the Blackstone Lab recommendations. On our Ford chassis they stated 3500 miles between oil changes no matter what type of oil was used so I stayed with conventional oils through out the warranty, for cost reasons.

2X; I would change my oil based on the oil analysis. I have been running my Ford Ranger on synthetic for 13 years with good results from Blackstone Lab.

Al

You should provide a proper link to Blackstone lab .

I doubt body building has little to do with motor oil changes . ;)

For my 3500 Chevy Diesel, I change oil every 5000 miles which turns out to be close to 6 months. I use 5W40 Rotella Synthetic and doing it myself cost about $60 with filter. I have 290k miles on the yard stick and get a Blackstone analysis every 50k. According to the oil analysis, I could go another 5k on a oil change. However, the 5k/6 month works good for me which allows me to check around the motor and do a complete chassie inspection and wipe down. The main cause of roadside breakdowns is neglect.

Greg

I have extended my oil change interval due to the better oils available, even if not synthetic, and better filtration. I do send off samples to see how my oil is doing. I just sold my 1996 Dodge with Cummins diesel that had 1/2 Million miles on it, it was running great, not using crankcase oil. I changed all fluids on it at 25,000 mile intervals but I had a bypass filter system on the engine oil. I always used Shell Rotella T 15/40 on that engine. Of course that truck did not sit a lot. ;)

Archived