Carrying a pistol in the RV

aunut

We are traveling to South Carolina and they do not have a reciprocity agreement with my home state for a concealed weapon permit. I always have traveled with my pistol and have a valid permit. All states we have been to have an agreement.

Is there a way to store it when in South Carolina that would be legal?

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Keep it in the glovebox and you are good to go. I travel there a LOT and it is a BIG point of contention between SC and Georgia. By the way, you can keep it loaded for glovebox carry.

Wouldn't it be considered concealed if in a glovebox?

And, another thing. Why are they the only southern state that doesn't have reciprocal agreements with several other southern states?

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

According to the Legal Heat app:

In South Carolina a non-permitee may transport a firearm in his vehicle in the following manner: Secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Given the volatility in firearms regulations, I would not count on the information in any printed publication being up to date. For example, Virginia recently announced that it would be ending its reciprocal agreements with several states. That has apparently changed with the passing of new legislation that will take effect July 1, 2016. Current state regulations are usually available online. I would do my own research or contact any state that I had questions about.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

It depends on the State of what they class as "concealed".

Given the volatility in firearms regulations, I would not count on the information in any printed publication being up to date.

X2. I generally use http://www.handgunlaw.us/ if I'm in doubt. They do a good job of keeping up with local laws as well as providing answers to frequently asked questions backed by the applicable State statue. There's a lot of myths floating around.. pro and con.. so it's always best to do your own homework.

Throw into the mix the federal transit laws.. it does get confusing, however (don't quote me), generally speaking, if you're not throwing up any red flags and are demonstrating "reasonable" (as defined by the LEO at your window) care in securing your firearms, most (not all) are generally pretty respectful of your right to bear arms. Many will instruct you as to their State requirements and allow you to correct your "error" (even if you are fully within the law) on the spot and send you on your way. Especially if you inform them right off the bat that you carry a permit from such and such a State and do have a firearm in your vehicle.

Many folks will argue that it's not their right to know without cause, but voluntary cooperation goes a long way with LEO's (most anyway), IMHO. I would think they appreciate a stranger understanding their concerns for their personal safety (they're people too) and would be more likely to cut you a little slack. I know some folks that take great pride in trying to "educate" an LEO that may not be fully up on Federal transit laws, but I just as soon be on my way without giving a working guy a hard time.

To each their own.

Look up the Federal Firearms Transportation Act. You can transport it that way in a locked box.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

It depends on the State of what they class as "concealed".

X2. I generally use http://www.handgunlaw.us/ if I'm in doubt. They do a good job of keeping up with local laws as well as providing answers to frequently asked questions backed by the applicable State statue. There's a lot of myths floating around.. pro and con.. so it's always best to do your own homework.

Throw into the mix the federal transit laws.. it does get confusing, however (don't quote me), generally speaking, if you're not throwing up any red flags and are demonstrating "reasonable" (as defined by the LEO at your window) care in securing your firearms, most (not all) are generally pretty respectful of your right to bear arms. Many will instruct you as to their State requirements and allow you to correct your "error" (even if you are fully within the law) on the spot and send you on your way. Especially if you inform them right off the bat that you carry a permit from such and such a State and do have a firearm in your vehicle.

Many folks will argue that it's not their right to know without cause, but voluntary cooperation goes a long way with LEO's (most anyway), IMHO. I would think they appreciate a stranger understanding their concerns for their personal safety (they're people too) and would be more likely to cut you a little slack. I know some folks that take great pride in trying to "educate" an LEO that may not be fully up on Federal transit laws, but I just as soon be on my way without giving a working guy a hard time.

To each their own.

Thank you for the link. I have it saved in my favorites.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

If your 'glove box' could hold a million gloves, this may qualify. Just how big is a 'glove box' anyway?

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

And, another thing. Why are they the only southern state that doesn't have reciprocal agreements with several other southern states?

South Carolina SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) does not want anyone to carry in South Carolina unless their home states license has the same requirements or more stringent requirements than South Carolina has. They also don't recognize Non Resident permits from other states even though that non resident permit might have the SAME or BETTER qualifications as the South Carolina permit.

This becomes a LOT clearer when you realize that you can get a non resident South Carolina permit if you own property in South Carolina and can show your name on a property tax bill. You can then take the class and get your license. Georgia Carry has actually filed suit against the state for that reason and we continue to solicit SC legislators for a reciprocity bill. Yes, Virginia did an about face when their anti gun attorney general and governor stated they would not accept most out of state licenses but I could always open carry there. In South Carolina, I am not allowed to open carry but you need to read each state you enter and understand the carry laws and whether or not disclosure is required.

Unlike most, I will not disclose I am carrying unless required by law. I have had a few encounters with overzealous officers who then wanted to see my permit. At that point, you are effectively detained as you can't leave without that permit in hand. Georgia law is simple in that matter, unless they have RAS for the stop, they are not allowed to require you to show your permit even if open carrying. They can ask to see it but you can tell them a polite "no" and that is the end of it. As others have stated, most officers are very supportive of your rights but there is always that 5% that cause an issue. I have carried now for over 35 years and have had a few issues with some officers that don't understand the law. If you run across one of them, just ask them to call for a supervisor to come and sort things out.

One thing is certain, NEVER ask a police officer about gun laws. From our polls around this area, only 5% to 10% of the officers understand the gun laws as well as they should. About 15% here in Georgia thought you could open carry without a license like Virginia. In Georgia, you need a license to open or conceal carry. The rest were often 3 to 4 years behind the current legislation that changed the laws.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

You asked:

"Is there a way to store it when in South Carolina that would be legal?"

Title 18 covers you, and others without concealed carry, to transport your arms legally, and to store them locked at worst when going through there. You can check local jurisdictions when parked.

The short version: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

The version for retired LEOs who served for ten years and have ID: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C

Carrying in vehicle: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

The full title 18 - 926A. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/pdf/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec926A.pdf

I checked with state and local laws before taking my gun with me in my vehicle, or concealed carry.

For those RVrs without concealed carry, I have one of my articles "Guns in the RV, Tactics, and Alternatives" that has been requested and published on many RV websites with links back to my website page. That write up on RV security can be found on my website here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Not germane to the topic but an entertaining story:

One of our friends, an older, retired Wyoming sheep herder, told of an incident where a young woman ran into his car. The cops came and come to find out she had no license nor insurance, yadda yadda. When the cops told our friend of the situation, our friend was obviously, and justifiably, livid.

A few moments later, during the accident investigation our friend told the cops he had a gun under his driver's seat. The cop asked "Is it loaded?"

Our friend, a grizzly 70-some years old fellow replied "Yup. Ain't no use if it isn't."

The cop looked at our friend, turned and looked at the woman, turned back to our friend and asked "You want me to turn my back for a moment?"

Gotta' love Wyoming! :)

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Gotta' love Wyoming! :)

Cute joke! But it also brings up a very valid point, IMO. It probably 'does' really depend on what part of the country you are traveling in. Ie., in most Eastern states where gun ownership may only be in the 5-10% bracket I wouldn't think it is such a normal occurrence for an LEO to deal with issues like this on a regular basis and more prone to over react.. as say.. in the Western states where gun ownership is more in the 30-40% bracket and more interstate reciprocity. (Just generalizing. CA doesn't count. B))

I travel almost exclusively in the Western states so my experiences may be very different than others "over there". :D

Lots of legal advise from the experts here however it is simple. Know the laws of every state you travel through and if in doubt d o not carry. Example VA reversed the law regarding reciprocity but it does not take effect till July 1 st.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Rich,

Yes if you want to have it loaded, or concealed on your person or available loaded in the car. For those just looking to transport through to their destination like hunting or target shooting title 18 US law protects their right to transport it anywhere in the country from a place they can own it and to a place where they can as long as it is unloaded and locked in a box. Just print out title 18 keep it in the box, and keep it locked on the road while traveling at speed and away from the wrong places. Now whether it is unlocked and heaven forbid even loaded once we are parked in an RV park is our business. But aside from going outside and creating a disturbance myself, which I wouldn't, the only other time I saw any LEO approach our rig was when there was an escaped armed and dangerous felon in the Travis AFB (Fairfield, CA) area. Security Forces Base troops came to our door parked in the base FamCamp, and asked if we were safe, and no one else was in the rig. They did not search nor asked to. Other than a border crossing to Mexico or Canada, I have never heard of LEOs coming in and searching all the RVs or any RVs in a park with very strong probable cause. So you can make your decisions about after parking, but Title 18 is valid across all states. Getting caught with it out of the box and loaded IS on the individual, and IS up to state law. This presupposes that the gun is a legal firearm and not stolen of course. Legal meaning not fully auto/Bbl length, etc.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

A good friend of mine who retired as a Captain in the Sheriff's dept told me if I didn't have a CCW to have a briefcase with a tumbler lock and carry it in there. That way if a LEO stops you all you have to do is reach over and move the tumblers to lock the briefcase and now it's a locked container.

A good friend of mine who retired as a Captain in the Sheriff's dept told me if I didn't have a CCW to have a briefcase with a tumbler lock and carry it in there. That way if a LEO stops you all you have to do is reach over and move the tumblers to lock the briefcase and now it's a locked container.

Some states require that locked container to be carried somewhere other than the passenger compartment ...and some require any ammo to be "stored separately." Bottom line is that you need to carefully research the law in whatever states you plan to travel.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I think its a lot like parking on a parking lot! If you need permission to do so, you will not be doing it a lot. The secret to carrying is it is concealed! If you need permission to protect yourself you wont be doing it a lot!!

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I will be honest enough to admit that I am responsible for my families safety. I carry into a LOT of places I am not legal to carry but concealed is concealed. If I am in an area or state were I can open or conceal and I KNOW the laws very well in that jurisdiction, I will do a very lazy concealed carry.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Please be very careful whose advice you take as proclaiming yourself an expert to those on the internet doesn't make it true. Even if you happen to be right and the officer is wrong, it will cost you both time and money to prove that point should you be stopped.

I would never advertise the fact that you are armed or have a gun in your RV and make sure that you really need to use it before you do so. I never display one for show. If I take mine out, it will be to use it and in that event I'll at least live to deal with the consequences.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived