Carrying a pistol in the RV

aunut

I think its a lot like parking on a parking lot! If you need permission to do so, you will not be doing it a lot. The secret to carrying is it is concealed! If you need permission to protect yourself you wont be doing it a lot!!

100% agree.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Please be very careful whose advice you take as proclaiming yourself an expert to those on the internet doesn't make it true. Even if you happen to be right and the officer is wrong, it will cost you both time and money to prove that point should you be stopped.

I would never advertise the fact that you are armed or have a gun in your RV and make sure that you really need to use it before you do so. I never display one for show. If I take mine out, it will be to use it and in that event I'll at least live to deal with the consequences.

And if you do need to use it, be aware that it will most likely cost you both time and money to defend yourself for your actions. But at least then you will be being "Judged by 12" instead of having been "Carried by 6".

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

In many scenarios before u use it you have to consider that your carry arm may have much less ammo than the one you are dealing with. They may have one or more armed accomplacesis (sp) some you may not even know, plus the risk you cause to bystanders not just from you but from random rounds from the bad guy. I concealed carry at times but I am very cognizant of the consequences. I am not saying to just roll over but seriously consider the consequences.

Rich,

Yes if you want to have it loaded, or concealed on your person or available loaded in the car. For those just looking to transport through to their destination like hunting or target shooting title 18 US law protects their right to transport it anywhere in the country from a place they can own it and to a place where they can as long as it is unloaded and locked in a box. Just print out title 18 keep it in the box, and keep it locked on the road while traveling at speed and away from the wrong places. Now whether it is unlocked and heaven forbid even loaded once we are parked in an RV park is our business. But aside from going outside and creating a disturbance myself, which I wouldn't, the only other time I saw any LEO approach our rig was when there was an escaped armed and dangerous felon in the Travis AFB (Fairfield, CA) area. Security Forces Base troops came to our door parked in the base FamCamp, and asked if we were safe, and no one else was in the rig. They did not search nor asked to. Other than a border crossing to Mexico or Canada, I have never heard of LEOs coming in and searching all the RVs or any RVs in a park with very strong probable cause. So you can make your decisions about after parking, but Title 18 is valid across all states. Getting caught with it out of the box and loaded IS on the individual, and IS up to state law. This presupposes that the gun is a legal firearm and not stolen of course. Legal meaning not fully auto/Bbl length, etc.

We understand title 18 but why take a chance.Example when in travel through Illinois all firearms, clips, ammo, holsters are in the 5th wheel under lock and key.We do not even stop in Ill.We have been on the road since 2006 and never had a LKEO ask us about a firearm.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

This is a VERY dangerous thread of "information".

Carrying concealed where it is not permitted ranges anywhere from a misdemeanor to a felony. Mostly it falls into the felony area - but it depends on the state. And carrying concealed without a concealed carry license is not something anyone should do.

If you are going to carry a firearm in your RV or on your person you NEED to learn the laws of the places you will be. And not violate them unless you are willing to suffer the consequences.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Something to consider when you have a registered gun is that some police departments will see this on their car computer when they run your plates. Having a weapon that isn't carried/ stored under the local rules isn't a good idea once the computer has told the officer you may have one. This is the first Google hit, there are many more.

From 2014 with some very good comments, note the importance of having everyone in the vehicle telling the same story.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travelers-tale/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The only expert information on firearm carry or transportation comes from the State or local jurisdiction you are in or passing through not any internet forum.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Something to consider when you have a registered gun is that some police departments will see this on their car computer when they run your plates. Having a weapon that isn't carried/ stored under the local rules isn't a good idea once the computer has told the officer you may have one. This is the first Google hit, there are many more.

From 2014 with some very good comments, note the importance of having everyone in the vehicle telling the same story.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travelers-tale/

Where in that story did you see that the cop knew he owned a registered gun? I'm pretty sure there is a federal law against maintaining a database of gun registry. When I read the story, I assumed that the cop knew the car owner had a license for concealed carry. Those databases do exist and are used by law enforcement.

Moral of the story, don't get your name on a concealed carry database....................or if you do be sure you comply with all the applicable laws.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

In the State of Ohio the information that you have a CCP is on your drivers license My guess is that other States have that information.If a LEO In Arizona runs my drivers license they know I have a CCP and the natural assumption would be that I am carrying.

In the State of Ohio the information that you have a CCP is on your drivers license My guess is that other States have that information.If a LEO In Arizona runs my drivers license they know I have a CCP and the natural assumption would be that I am carrying.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with having a registered gun.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Exactly. It has nothing to do with having a registered gun.

I hear that but I am registered as a gun owner. If I have a CCP it is only natural to assume I have a gun and I am carrying. Don't need t o register the weapon just register the gun owner.Why is it that the NRA is against any kind of gun registration but supported CCP which registers gun owners .Same thing.

Georgia state law forbids a state registry of weapon permits and they are issued by the local probate judge who only reports the number of permits issued to the state. Carry laws vary so much between states and even within local jurisdictions in those states that you really need to understand the local law. I have found that local gun rights groups (VCDL in Virginia and GCO in Georgia as an example) are often more familiar with the laws and how they are applied than the local LEO's.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I hear that but I am registered as a gun owner. If I have a CCP it is only natural to assume I have a gun and I am carrying. Don't need t o register the weapon just register the gun owner.Why is it that the NRA is against any kind of gun registration but supported CCP which registers gun owners .Same thing.

The difference is that the officer does not have a database to look at and see if I have a registered gun. That's what Stanley said in his post.

Millions of people have guns. Some of those guns are registered, some are not. A small percentage of those people have concealed carry permits.

I don't have a concealed carry permit. The officer has no way of knowing that I own a gun, since there is no database of gun ownership.

As far as the NRA is concerned, you'll have to ask someone else that. I don't belong to the NRA, nor do I feel the need to get permission from the government to do what I think is in the best interest of me and mine.

As a Benefactor Life member of the NRA and life member of Georgia Carry and the NSSA as well as several other pro gun groups, I can give you my opinion of their stance. Registration of firearms (especially at a national level) has nothing to do with guns, just control. A registration scheme is only good for two things, taxation and confiscation, both of which have been discussed often in Washington. None of my firearms are "registered" (VERY few states require registration by the way) and even if they do find out I have a permit, I can show them the ONE gun I have that I use for carry. If they want to know if I have more, the others were lost in a tragic boating accident years ago.

From the majority of states having prohibitions on citizens carrying firearms less than 30 years ago to the rights we enjoy today is a direct result of the efforts of the NRA and other pro gun groups and their members to put forward constitutional carry, open carry and concealed carry at all levels of government so, yes, the NRA is pro carry permit for a good reason.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I can show them the ONE gun I have that I use for carry. If they want to know if I have more, the others were lost in a tragic boating accident years ago.

"I too had a tragic duck hunting accident. I had all my guns with me because I didn't know what I wanted to shoot that day.. Well the dog got anxious in the canoe and started rocking it. We all flipped out and all my guns sank in 1000 foot of water. None were recoverable but this one...."

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

In today's social environment insurance is a good idea. Traveling armed in your RV is just another reason to consider insurance appropriate to your circumstance. G & A ran a nice article on the topic a while back that might be of interest.

Later,

J

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/personal-defense-network/choose-concealed-carry-insurance/

PS Below just in case you missed the link at the end of the short article.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/index.php/learn/307-buyers-guide

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

In today's social environment insurance is a good idea. Traveling armed in your RV is just another reason to consider insurance appropriate to your circumstance. G & A ran a nice article on the topic a while back that might be of interest.

Later,

J

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/personal-defense-network/choose-concealed-carry-insurance/

We agree 100%. We are protected.

This is a site I use before I travel through a new state. While you are in travel mode, the federal law rules and it states that if you qualified to own a gun, you may transport it across state lines. When you stop and stay in a state, the state law rules. This site also includes a section on "RV/Car Carry Without a Permit".

Here is the link to a website that summarizes every states laws on handguns.

http://www.handgunlaw.us

Here is the link to the specific file for SC. The first thing you see in the upper left corner is "Must Inform Officer by Law: YES". That means if you are pulled over by a Police Officer, you must under the law tell them that you have a gun. In some states this also applies to EMTs. Regardless of the states requirements, if I am pulled over, I always hand the Police Officer my drivers license and CWP. I always want to be upfront and never want them to be surprised.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

Some of the other comments in this post are good too.

I hope this helps

Steve

2011 Allegro Bus 40QXP

2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Archived