GE going to the Chinese

Retiredin1993

BEIJING

Haier Group, the world's biggest home appliance maker, is buying General Electric Co.'s appliance business for $5.4 billion to expand its U.S. and global presence.

The acquisition announced Friday comes as Haier tries to transform itself into a premium brand. GE is shifting emphasis from traditional businesses such as appliances, in which it has been a prominent presence for more than a century, to higher-technology areas such as medical equipment and clean energy.

http://www.kentucky.com/latest-news/article54841885.html

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Like IBM Think pad laptops, which were made in Taiwan and China for years before Lenovo bought the name and cut out the middleman. Weren't they already manufactured there anyway?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

And I recently read where GE is moving its headquarters from Connecticut to Boston, Massachusetts.

It's been a given that GE and several other world companies would move out of CT due to the state raising corporate taxes significantly. The only question has been where they would go. NY offered more incentives, but MA won out on technical workforce availability.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Sometime I ago I read a book by Welch, the former CEO of GE where he said GE has always had the philosophy of producing products where they can be the #1 or possibly #2 player in the market. It is clear that they are no longer #1 or #2 in the appliance market with all the competition from overseas. So it makes sense that they sold off that division.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

It has become very difficult to build much in the US and still compete with labor costs, but for some reason the automotive companies seem to be coming back here as there foreign car makers putting up plants in the US frequently. Of course, that begs the question about why GM is going over seas?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As long as we buy Chinese made products they will prosper in China. US can't even compete with there labor costs. But for me I will buy as much as possible American made even if I have to pay more, which is usually the case. But to me I want to support the companies that build here in the USA. Yes I know, even if its built here in the US it has overseas parts involved. Can't get away from that but at least they are doing there best to support the American workers. I believe we should all be doing this to once again make America strong.

I will preach this until the end, it's the right thing to do!!!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Thank you DaveM. I feel the same way and I always buy american if at all possible.

That is way I drive a Ford pickup to tow my fiver. Ram is not a US company and their larger pickups are made in Mexico.

Chevy/GMAC are not comparable in price with Ford. When I last looked for a new pickup the Chevy dealers told me that their price was

very good for that truck even after I told them that their pickups were priced a lot more then their competition, Ford. They didn't

seen to care. I emailed GM with the same story, their larger pickups were a lot more then their competition and they never even responded.

It's interesting that Fortune Magazines "American Made Index" for 2015 only included seven models built in America with more than 75% American made parts. In order:

Toyota Camry
Toyota Sienna
Chevrolet Traverse
Honda Odyssey
GMC Acadia
Buick Enclave
Chevrolet Corvette

"Cars made in America? Chrysler, Ford no longer qualify"

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump