East Coast Rally Update

SuiteSuccess

Carl,

The US25E route is what Steve uses commuting to CVG--he'd be able to report on what that's like, but it would seem like quite a bit of extra driving. I've driven the US25W route in the motorhome before avoiding a wreck--it's definitely passable, though a couple stretches are pretty windy and probably wouldn't be much fun with heavy traffic.

Note that if you ask Google for directions, the closure is figured in. It suggests exiting I-75 at exit 62 in Kentucky and taking KY-90 to KY-200 to US127. I'd tweak that just a bit and stay on KY-90 to US127 to avoid a bunch of winding stuff. We drove just about all of the US127 stretch going to Fitzgerald last year, and while not always fast I can't remember anything that would cause trouble. That route would save 25 miles over the 25W detour, and 100 over 25E.

Just another FYI--for anyone who does head south toward Knoxville en-route to the rally: Exiting I-75 at exit 122 is an excellent bypass of Knoxville. You can save about 15 miles and miss out on the climb between MM 116 and 113, and all of the congestion westbound on I-40/I-75 (especially late afternoon). The route makes use of TN-61, TN-95, and TN-58, but there are no turns between exiting I-75 at MM122 and rejoining I-40 at MM356. It's all 4-lane, some of it essentially freeway-like, though there are a few traffic lights in Clinton and Oak Ridge. West of Oak Ridge, the shoulders are very wide and it's popular with cyclists (myself included) as it's one of the few long flat bike-friendly roads in that half of the state.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Dave. This is better info than I posted which was off local news site.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Update on I75 closure north of Knoxville. Rocks keep sliding so projected date of reopening April 21. Paul this might affect you. Detour apparently ok but adds 30-45 min to drive.

They are retired now, so time is not a problem! Right Paul! And who knows what you might see by taking the little detour?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

In KY and TN, pretty much anything that starts with "25" is generally good as a motorcycle road. However, pulling our rigs, while not hard, does keep your attention focused on the road ahead. 25E is more fun than 25W but there is a spot where the road has undermined (headed south) and is fully capable of launching you and the squeeze to the limits of the passive restraints. Think I lofted the steer tires also...Was scared to look at the 5'er.

Heromaker...what am I gonna have to do...come back out to Hutch to see ya'll again??

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Don't even think about taking US 27. The portion from southern KY to I-40 is a hoot on a bike, and a white knuckle experience in our rigs.

To add to Paul's comment about routes beginning in "25", in eastern KY, when on a state route, the more digits, the better for motorcycling. Can't speak to TN on that one.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

In KY and TN, pretty much anything that starts with "25" is generally good as a motorcycle road. However, pulling our rigs, while not hard, does keep your attention focused on the road ahead. 25E is more fun than 25W but there is a spot where the road has undermined (headed south) and is fully capable of launching you and the squeeze to the limits of the passive restraints. Think I lofted the steer tires also...Was scared to look at the 5'er.

Heromaker...what am I gonna have to do...come back out to Hutch to see ya'll again??

Wish I could make the ECR this year (I know - I haven't made one yet Carl). After rehab, will be headed back down to the RGV for two Family Trips into Mexico again. So yes, come to Hutch.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Wish I could make the ECR this year (I know - I haven't made one yet Carl). After rehab, will be headed back down to the RGV for two Family Trips into Mexico again. So yes, come to Hutch.

Promises, promises. :). Seriously know what you're facing. Will keep you in our prayers.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I 75 update. Both south bound lanes to be open mid to late March and one north bound lane open by late March. Complete project finished mid April. Sounds good for ECR traffic.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hi Everybody,

For the people going to the ECR I am looking for the following tool. I hope someone carries a nut cert tool or some thing similar. The size bolt that I am thinking of using is a 10-32 or some thing close to that size. I am working on installing my brake controller. I am thinking of installing the brake controller to the lower part of the dash board. I want to see the controller and if I need to apply the trailer brakes I can get to the controller. I will also be holding the brake controller with some velcro. The instructions also said to use the "u" shaped bracket using two bolts with the velcro. Going to the rally I will hold the controller with the velcro.

Thank for the any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everybody,

For the people going to the ECR I am looking for the following tool. I hope someone carries a nut cert tool or some thing similar. The size bolt that I am thinking of using is a 10-32 or some thing close to that size. I am working on installing my brake controller. I am thinking of installing the brake controller to the lower part of the dash board. I want to see the controller and if I need to apply the trailer brakes I can get to the controller. I will also be holding the brake controller with some velcro. The instructions also said to use the "u" shaped bracket using two bolts with the velcro. Going to the rally I will hold the controller with the velcro.

Thank for the any help,

Al

Pop a couple of rivnuts in the dash panel. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-1427-Hand-Rivet-Nut/dp/B004KLVJAA

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Pop a couple of rivnuts in the dash panel. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-1427-Hand-Rivet-Nut/dp/B004KLVJAA

Thanks for the post on the tool. It looks like a rivnut could also work. Maybe someone would have a rivnut tool. Only going to do two holes.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks for the post on the tool. It looks like a rivnut could also work. Maybe someone would have a rivnut tool. Only going to do two holes.

Al

Hard to beat the Harbor Freight kit for one-time use. :P

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

If you haven't found one by then, drop me an email at brit.mansell@octanemedia.com and I'll bring some nutserts and a tool.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

might also want to check with Cardinal Components (cardinalcomponents.com) for rivnuts and tools. Seem to be cheaper than most and shipping is standard at $12

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I 75 update. Both south bound lanes to be open mid to late March and one north bound lane open by late March. Complete project finished mid April. Sounds good for ECR traffic.

That would be very good news. I just heard from a friend that with traffic (not sure what time of day), the detour took four hours on 25W.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived