Well I did it, 2006 Freightliner Century Class, 70" sleeper

GlennWest

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, Glenn!

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Glenn;

I have to say, I had my doubts.

Glad you pulled the trigger!

Welcome fellow Freightliner owner!

Now do yourself and your truck a favor and sign up to Access Freightliner. It's a wealth of knowledge and will be your best resource for everything about your truck, from build data, service and recall history, parts schematics, direct links to out sourced parts vendors, I can go on and on......

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Congrats.... welcome to the dark side.

what did the dyno report say? what was the blowby figure? how close to the rated HP was it laying down?

you have a inspection service do a report on the truck? what about a VIS check?

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Congrats.... welcome to the dark side.

what did the dyno report say? what was the blowby figure? how close to the rated HP was it laying down?

you have a inspection service do a report on the truck? what about a VIS check?

None of that was done. I know it is a gamble. Fact of matter is I would have to take time off from work to do this and it would cost me more than a in frame. I went over it with a fine tooth comb with Jack's recommendation printed off his web site and checking off as done. I will have rod and mains replaced before I bring it home. Truck looks good. It drives good. Brakes are excellent. Trans work great to me. Never driven one before. It is a powerhouse but that is bob tail and I understand that is no way to judge power. Please don't criticize me for this and I would never advise anyone to do this. I weighed the costs and this is best. And I got the truck 9k below the nada value. He is limited with help. No good mechanic. They agreed to remove hitch for us. He also assured me and even gave me an individual who this happened to. Truck he bought blowed up. Owner had bought extended warranty and refused to pay. That is currently in law sute but 45 Truck Sales got him a used motor and paid half the cost. They were under no contract to do so. I made calls and verified this. The rod and mains will keep the bottom end together. If it lacks some power and has blow by, it is not something I have to address quickly. It also has all new hoses and belts. New air bags on rear so I will have 2 spares also.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

None of that was done. I know it is a gamble. Fact of matter is I would have to take time off from work to do this and it would cost me more than a in frame. I went over it with a fine tooth comb with Jack's recommendation printed off his web site and checking off as done. I will have rod and mains replaced before I bring it home. Truck looks good. It drives good. Brakes are excellent. Trans work great to me. Never driven one before. It is a powerhouse but that is bob tail and I understand that is no way to judge power. Please don't criticize me for this and I would never advise anyone to do this. I weighed the costs and this is best. And I got the truck 9k below the nada value. He is limited with help. No good mechanic. They agreed to remove hitch for us. He also assured me and even gave me an individual who this happened to. Truck he bought blowed up. Owner had bought extended warranty and refused to pay. That is currently in law sute but 45 Truck Sales got him a used motor and paid half the cost. They were under no contract to do so. I made calls and verified this. The rod and mains will keep the bottom end together. If it lacks some power and has blow by, it is not something I have to address quickly. It also has all new hoses and belts. New air bags on rear so I will have 2 spares also.

Congrats on the truck.

Every truck will have some blowby. and as i have said before Detroits seem to have more than the others. and more blowby is acceptable with detroits.

things i can recommend...

BEFORE using the shop they recommended , i would see what reviews and BBB rating is before using them. calling the shop and asking

for references wouldnt hurt either.... Cover your Butt.

when you have the bottom end done, have a new oil pump put on *AND* have a Overhead ran, new air compressor, new air governor,

id probaby consider changing the air dryer for a new one *IF* you cant get the filter changed...

any leaks from the passenger side front corner of the block right where the head gasket is?

*I* do have a complete set of service manuals for your motor but there at my house and im currently living at my dads house due to him having

advanced alzheimers and a stroke (august 2015). i only have them in printed form (originals) so if you end up needing answers from them, im more

than happy to get you the info from them.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

It is suppose to have an overhead done. It does have all new filters, hoses, belt, new valve cover gasket, air dryer. It looks like an overhead done. Starts immediately.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

No leaks. In ran it hard about 20 miles. Dead on mat till speed up. Several stop and starts. Motor dry. This may not mean nothing on these trucks though. I dont know

You and me both. Soon as paper work completed I make time to go get it and take to welding shop. Then make time to take to mechanic for engine work I intend to do. Then make time to get it. Whew. Really need to find shop near by for engine work.

There will be a short section extended on frame. Pulled a measurement and desired 150" to center pin from back of cab was roughly 6" past frame. Could bolt that extension on. Will let shop make that call. I'm going to call around and find a shop near here for the bearings. Baton Rogue close. New Orleans close. We sorta in middle of these.

Oh it will be flat bed dovetailed and cut out in hitch area. I don't need a fancy deck. Don't get me wrong they are really nice but that would cost more than truck. Lol. I will add boxes as I get time. Will get tray for ramps under side of deck. Are the big boys 11 width necessary? Tires fairly narrow on Smart

Glen. I like the basic deck design. That's what I did. I too love these full on custom beds. But we are happy with ours we built a bit at a time.

I like the Big boy 2. 12' long and 19" wide each. Need the extra width for steering adjustments as loading. IMHO. Can be done with narrow Ramps but I like the extra width to make it easier.

I winch up and drive down.

My ramps are under bed in box fwd of axle. Singled short.

Take a peek at the simple bed build pics in Picasa album in signature. May be helpful.

Good luck and have fun!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Archived