Well I did it, 2006 Freightliner Century Class, 70" sleeper

GlennWest

There will be a short section extended on frame. Pulled a measurement and desired 150" to center pin from back of cab was roughly 6" past frame. Could bolt that extension on. Will let shop make that call. I'm going to call around and find a shop near here for the bearings. Baton Rogue close. New Orleans close. We sorta in middle of these.

Oh it will be flat bed dovetailed and cut out in hitch area. I don't need a fancy deck. Don't get me wrong they are really nice but that would cost more than truck. Lol. I will add boxes as I get time. Will get tray for ramps under side of deck. Are the big boys 11 width necessary? Tires fairly narrow on Smart

I found a Home Depot all aluminum bed off a truck that had been taken off the chassis. It has 3 inch thick wall X members, 102 wide, and I cut about 2 feet off and married the rear channel back in. I paid $300 for the bed, put my full aluminum fenders on, total out of pocket for just the bed and install was $750. I had my polish guys buff all of it out for another $350, and now had a Smart car deck.

I had the same problem on ramps, but I got the thin ones that fold made for the Smart car from Discount Ramps, and with my gooseneck settup, my ramps lay flat between the fenders and the box for my recessed gooseneck. I haven't found I needed the big ones, I don't know where I would have put them anyway.

Tool boxes are Aero, I bought from Wabash Trailers. Merritt, Aero, Wilson, all the major brands can be bought commercially at any semi trailer company, and all sizes. 24 x 24 x 48 all aluminums run around $450 each. You can hang them off the frame on "L" brackets, or hang under your bed. They are already polished from the manufacturer. 24 x 24 x 60 are really good if you have the frame to do that. I put my winch inside the box, as most do, and have been happy with my 4000# Northern Tool winch with remote. Harbour Freight as one also that works just fine.

If you want pics, I'll give you, or anyone else my e-mail and show you pictures. I haven't been on here long enough to figure this out on posting, and, being "old school", it's an effort I will leave to the younger set of truckers.

Bill

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Glenn! We just obtained our truck 2 weeks ago from Rick Younger. I drove over from AZ to CA to check it out and drove home to complete part I of our change-over from a Class A to a 5th wheel that we don't own yet. More on our adventure on another post on another day.

Enjoy!

Tipper

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

2014 Honda CRV AWD (ready to flat tow but driven separately by my DW!

Class of 2016 Full-Timers

I found a Home Depot all aluminum bed off a truck that had been taken off the chassis. It has 3 inch thick wall X members, 102 wide, and I cut about 2 feet off and married the rear channel back in. I paid $300 for the bed, put my full aluminum fenders on, total out of pocket for just the bed and install was $750. I had my polish guys buff all of it out for another $350, and now had a Smart car deck.

I had the same problem on ramps, but I got the thin ones that fold made for the Smart car from Discount Ramps, and with my gooseneck settup, my ramps lay flat between the fenders and the box for my recessed gooseneck. I haven't found I needed the big ones, I don't know where I would have put them anyway.

Tool boxes are Aero, I bought from Wabash Trailers. Merritt, Aero, Wilson, all the major brands can be bought commercially at any semi trailer company, and all sizes. 24 x 24 x 48 all aluminums run around $450 each. You can hang them off the frame on "L" brackets, or hang under your bed. They are already polished from the manufacturer. 24 x 24 x 60 are really good if you have the frame to do that. I put my winch inside the box, as most do, and have been happy with my 4000# Northern Tool winch with remote. Harbour Freight as one also that works just fine.

If you want pics, I'll give you, or anyone else my e-mail and show you pictures. I haven't been on here long enough to figure this out on posting, and, being "old school", it's an effort I will leave to the younger set of truckers.

Bill

Not to criticize but why aluminum? Know it is nice looking but weight is a plus. I saw some nice boxes at Tractor Supply. Looks like they work. Will measure when work complete and check some out.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy Glenn,

Congratulations on getting your truck and joining the Freightliner contingent. :D

What made you decide to swap out the rod and main bearings, noise, low oil pressure, amount of miles on engine....................?

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

HI GLEN

Again "CONGRATULATIONS!"

I did my ROR&MAINS around 850,000. I was told at that time I probably still had another 150,000 on them before any worries, sometimes I worry a lot. At that time I replaced everything on the lower end. Including the oil pump and any/all sending units and sensors. Detroit's run a bit more pressure than the other brand engines. When first started up, even at 70*, oil pressure stays constant around 45/50 psi. After it's all warmed up, 170* or so it idles at 25/30 psi but once you mash the peddle it goes right back up to the 45lb psi range. "RUNS SWEET", I DO HAVE A FEW STORIES TO SHARE when we meet up.

I would wait to do the mains till you need an oil change since your going to drain it anyway.

I suggest to most newbies to have a rod/main inspection at an oil change. Since your changing the oil anyway it takes about an hour or hour an a half and a new rubber pan gasket ($45.)

HAPPY TRAILS! Any questions don't forget to ring!

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Not to criticize but why aluminum? Know it is nice looking but weight is a plus. I saw some nice boxes at Tractor Supply. Looks like they work. Will measure when work complete and check some out.

Well, this is what happens when your on the road so many years. All you have is a KW zip code. Lots of time to stare out of the windshield at folks driving past. Some say it comes from having a need to shine and polish. Others say, "chrome won't get ya home!", and call it a waste of time. All I can say is, Not a thing wrong with steel,

A company called Beyers makes nice and strong metal boxes, had them also. If ya all are running day after day in salt up north, stainless, or aluminum boxes will pretty much last forever. Metal sweats, and rusts the floors and hinges right off. Look on the flats and drops that you pass, and you will see there is hands down more aluminum boxes.............Wow, didn't mean to go on a tangent, got to rest after that one!

Bill

The 12" ramps have a higher rating than the wide ramps. Or did at the time I bought mine. There is ABSOLUTELY no issue with the 12" ramps and as Rocky said, they handle and store easier. I do not care for the flex in the wide ramps - but that is just me. I winch up and stand outside and adjust the front tire by hand as necessary. it is easy to load it. Like Rocky and most everyone else I drive off. After the first "experience" it is all good. I let Rocky do it the first time on my truck - it WAS his car, after all :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

For an alternate view on ramp widths, I offer the following in support of 19” ramps:

• When I looked at the tire tracking margin between the two, I came up with the following numbers when the SMART is centered:
    • 12” ramps have about a 2” margin from the inside of the front wheels to the inside edge of the ramp and have about a 2” margin from the outside of the rear wheels to the outside edge of the ramp
    • 19” ramps have about a 5 1/2” margin from the inside of the front wheels to the inside edge of the ramp and have about a 5 1/2” margin from the outside of the rear wheels to the outside edge of the ramp
  • When I bought the Big Boy II ramps from Discount Ramps, there was no difference between the cost or load rating, both being $650 and 2000 lbs – I believe that still holds
  • Bed design incorporated the 19” ramps at no additional cost or loss of other storage capability
  • I can’t speak to the difference in sag, other than I’m using what I’ll call the “Roger method” of putting one side of a 1” x 1” angle as a wedge at the hinge point. This improves the deck break angle and reduces the chance of rubbing the SMART belly

Call me a sissy, I went with the 19” ramps.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

For an alternate view on ramp widths, I offer the following in support of 19” ramps:

<<snip>>

Call me a sissy, I went with the 19” ramps.

Okay, yer a sissy, but one who puts a good bit of thought into it. ;)

I have the 19" x 10' ramps. Thus far, I've only used them for motorcycles. They would be heavy for an older person, which most of us are, or hope to become. If all goes well, I hope to load the smart, for the first time, before Christmas.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If I was doing it again I would buy the 12" wide ramps. The 19's are quite heavy. I used to drive a car carrier and I had 12" X 7' ramps on it and had no issues loading and unloading any car including smarts with them. I know what Jim is thinking about the margin for error but look at where you park your car everyday at home. Are you ever more than an inch off centre? If you are than maybe you should have the wide ramps.

JMHO

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

The 12" Ramps were not avail way back when I got ours. LOL. But I may have went with them as well due to the wt. I think they do have a higher cap and less flex. My storage for them could have been smaller.

I like the 19" but could manage on the 12.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Glenn,

My wife, Michele, can put the narrow ramps up, and drive off the bed. We are both 69. I have her in the car when we winch up just in case something happens to the cable. She knows how to use the emergency brake also. Yes, I have a remote, but it is the extra safety issue.

Bill

Okay, yer a sissy, but one who puts a good bit of thought into it. ;)

I have the 19" x 10' ramps. Thus far, I've only used them for motorcycles. They would be heavy for an older person, which most of us are, or hope to become. If all goes well, I hope to load the smart, for the first time, before Christmas.

Rick, 10' longs ramps? Is your deck a lot lower than the rest of us? If not, then I would strongly suggest the piece of angle iron that Jim talks about. His was maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch and it gave him more that an extra 1/2 inch clearance on his belly (the smart's belly). You may need a thicker piece of angle iron, and maybe a 2 x 6 at the bottoms of your ramps. Go slow that first time and check it out, or your smart may yell at you!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

. . . . . cont'd

• The 12" ramps are 56 lbs/ea and the 19" ramps are 54 lbs/ea
  • Per Ray at Discount Ramps, there's no significant difference in deflection between the two, though I think this calls for some testing - maybe at the Eastern Rally

Sorry Glenn that we hijacked your post and appreciate you letting us have fun discussing the merits of this and that.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Rick, 10' longs ramps? Is your deck a lot lower than the rest of us? If not, then I would strongly suggest the piece of angle iron that Jim talks about. His was maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch and it gave him more that an extra 1/2 inch clearance on his belly (the smart's belly). You may need a thicker piece of angle iron, and maybe a 2 x 6 at the bottoms of your ramps. Go slow that first time and check it out, or your smart may yell at you!

Okay, you made me think about it. I went to the Discount Ramps site and found they don't offer the Big Boy II in 10', so I must have 12'. Never measured them. Bought 'em at a motorcycle trade show for a serious discount.

I'm enjoying and leaning.

So, which way are ya leaning? :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Perhaps the Big Boy ramps have been changed. But I will tell you that the ones I have looked at CLOSELY flex significantly more.....and I mean a LOT more - than the 12" ramps. They also were rated for 1000lbs each, vs. 2000lbs each on the 12" ramps. Obviously either work. But there is absolutely no issue with the 12" ramps IMO. At the time I bought mine they were stronger, flexed less, and lighter in weight than the Big Boy ramps....but like I said, that may have changed. At the time I bought there was only one "smart car" ramp....and that was the 12". Now I see there are Big Boy ramps listed as "smart car" ramps.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So, this thread is meandering along.......can you say hi-jack?

Weight rating q....If a ramp is rated at 1,000#, is that a weight placed in the middle? One wheel is off the end when the other is at the middle of the ramp.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

So, this thread is meandering along.......can you say hi-jack?

Weight rating q....If a ramp is rated at 1,000#, is that a weight placed in the middle? One wheel is off the end when the other is at the middle of the ramp.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Rick,

How do you Hi-Jack a bunch of ...........geezers......... (or soon-to-be-geezers)............

Every "side-subject" is.........just another day above ground........

Drive on............(Hello.........Jack)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Those aluminum boxes got me thinking. I do travel up north, Denver area, some times. Rig welders say their steel boxes rot out up there. Need to protect them or use metal other than carbon.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Pro's and con's for both.

Aluminum boxes will explode at the welds, almost without exception. Better supports will slow it, but I haven't seen one yet hold together.

Aluminum will "sow-belly", causing more stress to the welds.

Aluminum will oxidize, and hard to polish unless smooth.

Steel will "sow-belly", unless the bottoms are thick enough to resist the dynamic load of material bouncing down the road.

Steel will shed paint, eventually, but can be re-painted easy enough. (Our deck is all steel, and there is just the beginnings of rust on a few seams, and we carry a gas can inside almost year round. YMMV.)

Stainless solves all the above problems, but hang onto your wallet. $$$

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived