hiring inspector for hdt

GlennWest

Who should I use in the Houston Area. Will like a thorough go over with a dyno and oil analyses. Truck in question is a Centry with 14L Detroit with 700k and Ultrashift. People on forum has really warned me on these egr engines.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glen,

Call one of these folks up. It's what they do for a living. I used Truck Remarketing for the first truck I thought about buying and they did a good job. They do not do a dyno or oil analysis. That is something you will have to arrange yourself. Cost about $350 for the inspection service. Dyno probably about the same. Oil analysis $35 at Blackstone, $25 at Speedco. if the truck fits your needs and passes all the above, don't shy away because of EGR. Would bet over half of forum members have such trucks. What will be posted here is when someone has problems, not that they have run down the road for the past 5-10 years with a happily purring engine. Mine is EGR (2006) and I have had no problems related to it. Maybe I will, maybe I won't but at the number of miles I run a year not going to fret about it.

http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/55

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I agree with Carl re EGR , mine is one and no issues ,remember our 'duty cycle' is not what our experienced professionals know much about, in fact no one has much knowledge because we are a vanishingly small sample.I believe our soot load is tiny compared to what most of these engines are designed for .

A close friend has a 2009 with DPF and has found regens are coming at longer and longer intervals due to to I think a very low soot loading.

Compare our fuel burn/soot to a working truck.

The pros will come back with 'they all constantly out of service' true .........for them,However it can't be used as a bases for our use,we have no data,compare the numbers of working trucks to trucks in RV use.

Not all their advice is to be taken as gospel.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

I do appreciate your comments. In defense of others though a Detroit 60 has a B50 of 750 not 1 m. as Volvo does. So I basically have a 50/50 chance on this. Not good odds. But the B50 is somewhat outdated too.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, I don't worry about the engine in mine and it has EGR, DFT, DEF and SCR for a 2012 model truck. There is a huge difference in pulling 40K+ loads days on end as a commercial vehicle compared to our relatively light loads. If anything, most of us don't drive our trucks enough to keep the seals lubed up like they should be. A lot of people prefer the older, pre EGR trucks, but there are a few of us that prefer the newer trucks because of the looks, interiors, transmissions available, easy to find, etc.

One thing I will say, if your wife wife is like mine, get an automated manual. Mine will NEVER drive a manual but she is starting to open up to the idea of an automated manual. She used to refuse to get behind the wheel at all and this year drove the M2 about 250 miles (including thru Kansas City) coming home from the HDT rally. Give her time.....

2023 Thor Magnitude XG32

Sure seems like the VG turbo would really be worth it for a light weight truck? It gives them a much more automotive feel. Or is it not worth its $700 actuator?

Do these inspector guys pack along service tools? Can they do a VG actuator or a EGR sweep test? Force a regen to make sure it works and log its numbers for you? Look at ash load? Seems like that would alleviate quite a few concerns.

You beat us to it. We were going to suggest it. We did the Vis Check when we bought our truck and caught a couple of items even though they were minor.

There is a Freightliner dealer in San Antonio that does them, not sure about Houston area.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Drove that 379 in the same truck lot. Engine and tranny great, handled like a brick though, steering and front end did not feel good. I would like to see if anyone in houston has a vis.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

overloaded on pin. Rides like a sled. also my truck is a pain in our parking lots at work. Many times I have to wait for vehicle next to me to leave. I have had to call wife to come get me due to this.

Glenn - in re: your search, dyno and singling......

This was prob before the forum format changed - so no longer "searchable".

Dan Freeman (the guy who previously owned Trish & Raquel's Volvo) - called Hawaii home,

so he had to do some long-range shopping when he was looking for a truck.

IIRC - he used Arrow in AZ to find a truck for him,

He had a Dyno (prior to purchase), then singling done close to their location.

Apparently, he was happy with the result/s.

(Think the same applies to the current owners).

overloaded on pin. Rides like a sled. also my truck is a pain in our parking lots at work. Many times I have to wait for vehicle next to me to leave. I have had to call wife to come get me due to this.

3 good reasons. Have you had a chance to hook someone's HD hauler to your trailer and go for a drive?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

No I haven't. Honestly we have only been in one park where a HDT was. They were there only a day also. Everything I have read is night and day difference though. I was leaving my seat towing into Baton Rogue area on I-10, sledge ride. I also put air bags on dually. This likely made ride worse but springs were bowed backwards. Get 6-7 towing. 14 mpg daily commute. I see no reason not to get one. Also I do 1-2 day jobs sometimes. Truck will be rv then.

Apparently, he was happy with the result/s.

(Think the same applies to the current owners).

Pappy & Glenn,

We have been very happy with our truck, which we also bought long distance. We got copies of the dyno AND the VIS, and we talked with the mechanic who kept the truck up for Dan.

WE LOVE OUR TRUCK!

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

WE LOVE OUR TRUCK!

The trucks seem to "grow on you". They kinda become part of the family.....so to speak. We love our truck too. :) It makes both of us smile every time we get in it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Glenn - with your work schedule it sounds like an existing converted to rv puller truck might make the most sense? It may not be "the perfect truck" but it would free up a whole lot of time and life energy to do something more fun than inspect and search and sample and test and wonder what you are buying...

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120804

edit: I see you are looking there too. Disregard above "sage advice" :lol::lol:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

They kinda become part of the family.....so to speak. We love our truck too. :)

So, does this mean it's in the not for sale category - along with Danielle and Poppy? ;)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

So, does this mean it's in the not for sale category - along with Danielle and Poppy? ;)

Nope, its for sale. I'll welcome a new family member when it is gone.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived