Great new backup camera.

Pete Kildow

Bought one of those $50 go pro knockoff cameras. SJ4000 with wifi and been using it to hook up to our trailers. I have a 33ft tilt gooseneck trailer that uses our 5th wheel. Fixed up a mount that allows me to sit the camera where I need it. Set it to my cell phone with the wifi. And I have a great wide angle water proof backup camera that I can use to hook up to bumper hitch or gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers.

Will be buying a 12" tablet to use rather then the cell phone. That way I can run my GPS on it also. I bought a nice big backup camera setup with big monitor. But I could have bought a few of these cheap sj4000's. And can use it for a dash cam, Video camera, Backup camera. And use it while its raining all for a nice low price. I did get 4 batterys for mine and plan on using it for a dash camera hard wired for that.

I think I paid $48 for mine and the 2 extra batterys and wall charger was around $10. Now the camera is a little higher but still a great price. Ordered one for our Son in law to use a a dash cam.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-wireless-SJ4000-Waterproof-Sports-DV-1080P-HD-Video-Action-Camera-Camcorder-/301388440175?hash=item462c26a26f

event.png

It would be nice to see some comments about this camera. I need a back-up camera, but I don't know which way to go about it. I have no idea what the capabilities of a tablet is.

I will be watching this one,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

How long did it take to get to you after you bought it??

Any way to replace the battery with a direct wire charger for permanent mounting??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I know a few HARD-CORE desert-dog-dirt-scooter riders that use this cam mounted in various spots in the dirt-scooter and they say that these things eat Go-Pros for lunch.....

Price seems good for as tough as they seem.......

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-ac1080-action-camera.html

Drive on..........(Cam with .....care)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It allows you to plug it in the same as a normal dash camera. Also uses the same plug as my Samsung 5 so yes you can plug it in to a hard wire.

I ordered it and I think it was 21 days to get here. But that was free shipping so no issue for me to wait a few days. Video is unreal for such of cheap camera. Will try to get some video on it and post. When i had a head gasket leak on my cummins, it would only leak water out when under boost. So hooked the camera up in the water proof case. And sure enough when I hit 10 lbs or more of boost it showed small trickle of water coming out of the head gasket. So it allowed me to find it easy.

I also ordered the 2 extra batterys and wall charger that charges 2 batterys at the same time. So I have 4 batterys to use in the boat. Plus have 2 32GB cards for it. Will be doing some fishing videos of some of the items I use. And posting those is one reason I went with a cheap carera. That way if I have it fall off the boat. No big loss and can replace it 5 times for the price of a gopro. Came packaged in a good box that would protect it from about any shipping issue. Other then mail person stomping on it.

Pete

event.png

Pete,

How does the tablet hook up to the camera ? Is there any other equipment that is needed for this job ? I am tech knowledge challenged. Please bear with me on my questions.

Thank you for your help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Any way to replace the battery with a direct wire charger for permanent mounting??

Jack, if it is like my GoPro (which it looks like) then it can be plugged in via a USB plug to power continually, but NOT when it is in the waterproof housing. The camera slides into the waterproof housing and has no way of accessing the USB port through the housing. So, if this is like the GoPro the answer for permanent waterproof external mounting is no, you can not.

EDIT:

This picture shows the waterproof housing and you can see that there is no access to the USB plug on the left (as you see it here) side of the camera.

$_3.JPG

How does the tablet hook up to the camera ? Is there any other equipment that is needed for this job ?

Al

Al, it uses the built in WiFi

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Jack, maybe you could cut a hole in waterproof case for a wire, then seal it up.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I'd be happy to adapt the case, if I even need the case. My issue is actually GETTING the thing. As a fulltimer it is hard to get stuff direct form China since you cannot predict your location for shipping. However, I may be able to send it to my sisters.....assuming it gets there before the end of December.

EDIT: OK, I ordered it and the spare batteries/charger. We will see how this does.... I can risk $65.....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I'd be happy to adapt the case, if I even need the case. My issue is actually GETTING the thing. As a fulltimer it is hard to get stuff direct form China since you cannot predict your location for shipping. However, I may be able to send it to my sisters.....assuming it gets there before the end of December.

EDIT: OK, I ordered it and the spare batteries/charger. We will see how this does.... I can risk $65.....

You might be surprised ... I've ordered many different things from the 'Far East' and have never been mislead or disappointed with shipping times or the product .

Goes around , comes around .

I saw the SJ4000 camera on a review awhile back. I like this site for reviews of dashcams. The only thing you should be concerned about is video lag from WiFi when hitching up your trailer. The link at the top of this thread is probably a knockoff of the "SJCAM" SJ4000. Look for the SJCAM logo on anything you are buying. Also, look here.

The ebay link in the first post. That is what I ordered. I'm not going to use it for a backup cam but other uses.

www.jackdanmayer.com

You could rework the water proof case to hard wire it. Would not be an issue on that.

Allen0043 it connects by wifi, so wireless and works over 50 ft on mine.

As for Video lag, If I have it recording yes it has lag. But I only turn the camera on and connect by wifi and see the image. So far no issues and hooked up three different times. But may be that I'm just slow enough that I match the video speed over the wifi. :D

event.png

Archived