Any Freightliner problems out there?

CDR

We have a Century and we like it. Not as nice inside as a Volvo but not enough to make a difference since the rest of the truck matched what we needed. Ultra shift, no smoking, no rust, low miles, cleanest frame we had ever seen. We like that we see Freightliner shops in many areas.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I want ultrashift but don't seen to be able to find one without at least egr. I have almost given up on it. Considering a 10 speed. The cheap side of me is winning. DW won't drive it she says. But she says she won't even if ultrashift. So. I am going to look at a Century. I like the prices and availability. Also lots of Detroit engines and Cummins. Don't you get egr in all 2004 engines except CAT Acert ugh?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hey guys, how would a Century Freightshaker work out for a rv hauler? Finding a lot of them with 700k-800k at great prices with Detroit engines.

Glenn

Used truck miles are often a source of confusion and frustration......your goal of obtaining a truck of 600 - 800k or less miles may have merit but also might not be as trouble free as you might have imagined. HDT's are a bit different than cars or pickups in that they tend to be built as commercial machinery and unlike autos with fairly defined life-limits.....HDT's life-spans are determined by the maintenance-levels and component rebuild / replacement intervals. You would likely be amazed how many older HDT's have Several million miles on them and are very reliably piling on more miles every day. On the other hand, if you graze through the Truck ads long enough you will find a HUGE inventory of late-model HDT's that are for sale with 500,000 to 800,000 miles since new.........why.......well often newer trucks reach the end -of-first-life-cycle due to "bean-counter-issues" that is that the cost-to-benefit-ratio favors selling the late-model used truck and purchase (or lease) a new truck. A major factor in the 500k to 800k sell decision is that this mileage range is often where the first component-related major service and or rebuild / replace issues start ti be costly in downtime and capital expense. The latest HDT's with complex emission system(s) are prone to very costly component service issues in this mileage range.

We have a older Freighshaker with Plus-Million Miles on the clock however a new drive train was dropped at a Million so it's a newer drive train under the warts and rattles of a old 'shaker"........not everyones cup of tea....

It works for us since the wifes trail horse riding hobby has us on more than a few rough back roads we would likely just turn any nice show truck into a average truck after a while.....

The transmission type is .......something to ponder since it is not very realistic to swap from manual to auto......a few shops swap from auto to manual and the cost is fairly cheap approx $2gs.....

I float our 10 spd Road-rager and it is as easy as pie....... but.......you need to become the tranny-computer so to speak before manual shifting becomes no big deal.........For our back roads operations were better off manual......

Shakers tend to be pretty plane-jane but a few get dressed up a bit, but for the most part they are just freight-dogs at heart....

Works for us.......

Drive on..........(Shaking is.......moving)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On the batteries: make sure when you clean them you clean the connections to the shutoff, as well. Or you are not "really" cleaning them. Lots of people forget that.

Glenn, if you have issues learning a manual - and most people will, for awhile - a Gearmaster will ease the process quite a bit. It really is helpful. Especially on a loaded shift on a hill. Any of the Freightliners of that vintage will be fine as an RV hauler. As long as the gearing and other attributes are right any HDT works well - it really is mostly a personal preference. Some like FL, some like Pete, etc. They all work well, from a towing perspective. Cab size and attributes are important for some, but since that is not a factor for you then it does not matter.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well, I want ultrashift but don't seen to be able to find one without at least egr. I have almost given up on it. Considering a 10 speed. The cheap side of me is winning. DW won't drive it she says. But she says she won't even if ultrashift. So. I am going to look at a Century. I like the prices and availability. Also lots of Detroit engines and Cummins. Don't you get egr in all 2004 engines except CAT Acert ugh?

Our 2005 has EGR. We bought it with 450000 miles and during the initial vis-check prior to purchase, they notice a line going to the EGR leaking so that was replaced. When we did our budget comparisons we included the cost of an EGR replacement to get try to factor it in. If you can find one that had it replaced recently and has the documentation you should hopefully be good for your lifetime usage.

If you can live without the DW driving and you can handle the stick shift then that helps your chances of finding a truck.

As mentioned previously, check the dash area around the air valves and radio on the Century's as they are typically broken, pretty in expensive and easily repaired but can be used a negotiation tool.

Dave

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Well, I want ultrashift but don't seen to be able to find one without at least egr.

Glenn, because of the consent decree, all Detroit, Cummins, and Volvo engines built after September of 2002 are EPA04, which will have EGR, although you may find some Mercedes-powered Freightshakers in newer trucks without EGR, since they weren't a party to the consent decree, and their engines didn't get EPA04 until January of 2004.

There were very few Ultrashifts around in the fall of '02, other than a few prototypes and early production units, which is why you're not finding them. The vast majority of the two pedal trucks built in that era were equipped with FreedomLines.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Choosing a manual will definitely increase the odds of finding a truck you want. In today's RV hauler market it will have little resale value, though. So you might want to consider that before modifying it extensively.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

On the batteries: make sure when you clean them you clean the connections to the shutoff, as well. Or you are not "really" cleaning them. Lots of people forget that.

Glenn, if you have issues learning a manual - and most people will, for awhile - a Gearmaster will ease the process quite a bit. It really is helpful. Especially on a loaded shift on a hill. Any of the Freightliners of that vintage will be fine as an RV hauler. As long as the gearing and other attributes are right any HDT works well - it really is mostly a personal preference. Some like FL, some like Pete, etc. They all work well, from a towing perspective. Cab size and attributes are important for some, but since that is not a factor for you then it does not matter.

Getting into a HDT for the first time is very confusing trying to decide what to get. My first suggestion is get what you are drawn to visually. You are going to look over that hood for a lot of miles. Nothing is worse than not having Pride In Your Ride. Take a look at interior features, same thing applies. Sit in different trucks for the "comfort" level you and your wife like or dislike. My personal view is this is going to be part of your home. It is not just a truck any more.

Paint jobs now are $5000 and up. Something to consider repainting it if you find the right components but wrong color.

Bill

Choosing a manual will definitely increase the odds of finding a truck you want. In today's RV hauler market it will have little resale value, though. So you might want to consider that before modifying it extensively.

So this does beg the question............

What is the percentage(s) of manual to auto tranny HDT trucks on the forum ? ?

Drive on..........(What gear am I in.........?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I have a 10 speed. Not a problem with shifting, and....... a rebuilt one cost about $1500 if you ever needed one. I don't worry about all the computer malfunctions the newer stuff has.

Keep your 5th wheel off the truck if you do modifications, and just put it back as a freight hauler. You can see doing your home work what your truck would be worth that way.

Something to think about.................. semi drivers have to stay alert when running over the road. Shifting gears just came out because the company's couldn't find enough qualified drivers that could figure out shifting. You can put a monkey in the seat now and he will go down the road. I know that having to shift all the time is work. You have to know where your gear selection is going to be. It is called, "trucking".

Bill

I have a wife and she required the 2 pedal (throttle and brake) so there was no reason to look at anything else. It is cheaper to replace electronics and EGR equipment than to upset her! In the long run I am glad we went that way as I drive a stick shift car as a daily driver and to learn two different ways to drive a stick was just too much for my old mind to comprehend.

I for one enjoy shifting, and I hate siri, don't like being told what to do and when!!

X 10 !!!

Funny;

These post have gotten way off topic, still no other problems posted!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Funny;

These post have gotten way off topic, still no other problems posted!

Curt

Curt,

Your right......shifting 10 speed.......no problem......most of the time only use 5 to 6 gears......no problem.....

Drive on........(How many speeds.......)

Yes Directlink works with FLs.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived