Any Freightliner problems out there?

CDR

Just got back from a 700 mile weekend, truck performed flawlessly!

Freightliner owners with issues/problems?

Just checking? Lol

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problems with my 2015 Freightliner (which is a Class 7 HDT with only 14k miles). The engine is just getting everything seated. It has a 9 liter, 350HP Cummins. Freightliner uses Mercedes-Benz engines in some of their larger units. A mechanic I trust really likes Freightliners.

Cactus,

Went to visit my son at Washington state University for dad's weekend. Went by myself so no need to take the trailer or toys just my supplies, clothes and generator. Left work at 6:30 pulled into Pullman Walmart at midnight. I have to post pics later, the Walmart parking was a campground in itself! Well over 80 rigs there! I averaged 65 mph getting 11.7 mpg. On the trip, there was lots of in town driving, hard to do in a college town with an HDT. I almost drove my SUV for fear of snow in the pass, but sure glad I didn't. I would never have been able to drive straight thru like I did in the truck, just due to comfort. With the HDT 350 miles is just getting warmed up, I could have done the whole 700 in one sitting easily!

Man how I love our truck!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Maybe time to switch to the "V" machine since the ole Freightshaker has failed me on my last 3,000 miles..........the darn turbo-pressure gage dash light has failed...........1,031,891 miles and they can't even make a dash bulb last.........

What next.........maybe the thing will need windshield washer fluid.......darn Freightshakers.....

Drive on.........(Freightshake on....on....on on...)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Maybe time to switch to the "V" machine since the ole Freightshaker has failed me on my last 3,000 miles..........the darn turbo-pressure gage dash light has failed...........1,031,891 miles and they can't even make a dash bulb last.........

What next.........maybe the thing will need windshield washer fluid.......darn Freightshakers.....

Drive on.........(Freightshake on....on....on on...)

Hmmm....... So this reminds of the term; "Shaken, not stirred."

Seems yer giving this thread a little stir?????????????? ;);););););)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hmmm....... So this reminds of the term; "Shaken, not stirred."

Seems yer giving this thread a little stir?????????????? ;);););););)

Rick.....

With my chronic.......Geezer condition...... any movement is a hopeful sign....

Just so you V-guys can get your morning giggles.........you would think after 1,031,XXX miles that the "quater-turn-twist-out-gage" would almost fall out of the panel and it would only take one minute for a geezer to fumble in a new gage bulb.........but heck no after a MILLION miles or so it seems that the "quater-turn-twist-out-gage" has decided to weld itself into the panel.........it's likely easer to change the crankshaft in your Volvo than repairing the "shaker" panel after I use a 36 inch pipe wrench to twist out the turbo gage.........

Question...........does the turbo still function.........if........the boost gage is.........missing??

Wife says it's a sure sign of "chronic-geezer-syndrome" when a burned-out-turbo-boost-gage-bulb" is a NO-GO item on the trip checklist........

Might be a good reason to buy a Volvo .........bet the turbo-boost-gage-lights work on those trucks......

Rick ....now I am all "Stirred-up".....

Drive on..........( who needs a turbo-boost-gage...........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

"but heck no after a MILLION miles or so it seems that the "quater-turn-twist-out-gage" has decided to weld itself into the panel"

Let's see. Shaking creates friction...friction creates heat...heat creates melting (or welding) :o ....By Golly Dolley! I think you've got something there! :D

btw - no turbo light on my V. Doesn't even have a gauge.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

"but heck no after a MILLION miles or so it seems that the "quater-turn-twist-out-gage" has decided to weld itself into the panel"

Let's see. Shaking creates friction...friction creates heat...heat creates melting (or welding) :o ....By Golly Dolley! I think you've got something there! :D

btw - no turbo light on my V. Doesn't even have a gauge.

Hero....right on...

In the stone-age .......when I was a bird-boy I used to get coffee and donuts for a bunch of "BIG-Brain-Aero-Engineers.......one of these "Brains' actually pioneered the "Stir-Friction-Weld-Process" and was actually able to obtain FAA approval as a primary structure process in airframe construction!!

The "Stir-Friction-Weld-Process" has actually seen use in the construction of the small personal Jet named Eclipse

Eclipse Aerospace pioneered the use of friction stir welding (FSW) in aircraft structures, using it extensively in the primary structure of the Eclipse Jet since receiving FAA approval in 2002. At 20 inches per minute, friction stir welding is approximately 10 times faster than manual riveting and provides a continuous join for improved structural rigidity. Friction stir welding patterns are computer-controlled to ensure accuracy, virtually eliminating time-consuming rework. The resulting airframe structures are stronger and lighter than those built using traditional processes. This is one of the key processes that allows the Eclipse Jet to be the most fuel-efficient twin-engine jet on the planet.

So Hero.......should I be worried that the ole Freightshaker doors will "stir-weld-themselves-shut".........or........should just expect them to just fall off some day.......

Drive on..........(Shaking is still.........movement)

Ricko.........you been peeking.....

V-guys don't understand real-truckin.........the turbo-boost-gage is not about turbo boost ..........you just use it when you mash down on the throttle to see if your turbo has 'shaken-off-the-truck"........

Of course ALL Freightshaker geeks use a "Head-Lite" but not just any headlite will do.........you need a fast on-off switch because on a Freightshaker some things are best left in the DARK-SIDE........

Drive on..........(Keep fresh batteries in the Headlite.............)

Just as I suspected, "any Freightliners with problems out there?" Nothing really worth talking about! Lol "Shake on"!

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

I think it is amazing the rig is still functioning @ +1M miles. Says something to the industrious workmanship and embedded quality infused into Freightliner products...

Mike

2016 Heartland Landmark Newport 365 w/MoRryde IS and 8k PSI disc brakes

RAM 3500 DRW 4.1

This topic got me thinking, always a dangerous situation.................................

We bought our Volvo in 2010. Not because we wanted a Volvo, but because of all the many trucks we looked at, KW, Pete, Freightliner, Western Star, and International, it was the one with the condition, features, age, options and price, we liked. Since then we've spent about $6k on repairs. Said repairs were ALL on the Cummins engine and Eaton tranny, except for the air bags and shocks.

Would I buy another Volvo? Sure I would. Would I LIMIT myself to a Volvo? Absolutely not.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I think it is amazing the rig is still functioning @ +1M miles. Says something to the industrious workmanship and embedded quality infused into Freightliner products...

BLK-9...........Now thats just about the nicest thing anyone ever wrote about a ole Freightshaker.........Dollytrolley is likely to blush ........

Indeed even on her ugly-days when Dollytrolley has spent too many miles slogging the ole Dolly-Hauler down dirt / grave/ mud back roads ......the ole "Shaker" still looks better than her owner.........

Drive on.............(Shaker.........blushing)

Just as I suspected, "any Freightliners with problems out there?" Nothing really worth talking about! Lol "Shake on"!

Curt

Curt.........good point.....maybe

I wonder how many "Shakers" are in the HDT forum......?

Seems that most of the "Shakers" in the forum are fairly "mature" in age.......so it seems....

Are older......"Mature".....Shakers so simple that there is not much to fail.......or has the shaking just shed parts (fell off) that tend to fail ?

Do Shaker operators tend to not be able to type on the forum ...........(shake-induced-No-Type Syndrome)?

Do Shaker operators have a Higher-Level-of-Truck-Karma..........we know that rattles are good-karma.........it means we are still......moving......

Do Shaker operators just drive so much that they do not have much time for broken trucks?

Oh well ........gotta go herd the Dollytrolley over a bunch of twisty steep mtn roads for a 440 mile trip to the coast and back........so where did I leave those four sets of driver chains.....?

Drive on..............(No brag.......you will then break-down....)

What about Mr. Cobs leaking radiator?

Any truck can have a radiator issue, still Mr.Cob has well over 700k on his truck at that point most trucks will need a new radiator. Besides it's plastic, plastic gets brittle after 10 years or so.

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Dolleytrolley,

You may be on to something about "simple and intelligence". Are Freightliners simpler? Maybe so? Are Freightliner owners? Maybe so? I have yet to see anyone talk about ordering a new Freightliner? Are there any Freightliner owners out there towing $100k trailers? Or seeing 3-4 thousand dollars repair bills. Maybe we are a simpler crowd?

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

I've had to change oil and fuel filters in my shaker, not sure how much longer I can afford to keep it.

Skyd.........right on.......

IF........I change the oil AND fill it full of diesel..........I have increased to ole Dollytrolley value by about ....35%......

Last spring I did a BIG capital improvement..........BOTH windshield wiper blades......I inserted new rubber inserts in the original arms.......on the same day............Maybe I should consider hull-insurance? ? ?

Drive on...........(Shake on..........)

Dolleytrolley,

You may be on to something about "simple and intelligence". Are Freightliners simpler? Maybe so? Are Freightliner owners? Maybe so? I have yet to see anyone talk about ordering a new Freightliner? Are there any Freightliner owners out there towing $100k trailers? Or seeing 3-4 thousand dollars repair bills. Maybe we are a simpler crowd?

Curt

Curt........good points....

If I could claim "simple" it would be a huge .....upgrade

We have not mentioned the forbidden-truck-word.........."cHEAP.........as the wife says.....'thrifty..........

You say ....."aint nuthin cheep on a truck"..........oh ya try this.........New Shaker power-window switch........$18.12

I had the door panels and trim off last summer to deep clean them and in a geezer-fit I knocked one of the power window switches off the work bench into a open can of Carb-cleaner.......Nasty stuff......so later in the afternoon I was not a happy camper when I pulled the wire-basket out of the carb-cleaner and the weed-eater carb had the shaker power window switch in the basket...........oh darn I muttered (ya right)........so what do you do.......wash the switch off in warm water and sure enough ALL of the lettering wash off as well........oh darn (again).....

Now what.......well blow the water out of the switch and spray some contact cleaner in and take it out to the truck....plug it in .......and........ it works fine.......just no lettering.........

Next morning I drop by the local Shaker-Shop and toss the switch on the parts counter and Willy says "sold the last two of them yesterday, they are replacing all of the switches in the old blue shaker in the shop along with the new interior job" I ask "how long will it take to get me a new switch"? Willy say " oh we could have a new one in the morning or.........you can have the old switches from ole blue for free.....they just install new switches with the interior jobs since at $18.12 it is cheaper to replace them with new ones rather than clean the old ones"

Willy walks out to the shop and took the old switches off the bench and handed them to me and said "they work fine, just "clean-them-a-little-less this time".... As I walk out of the parts shack I turn and ask " why are these switches so cheap'? Willy smiles " heck they are not cheap, FL has been using the same switch for 20 years or so and they used to be about $11 ........'

The good news is that my "pre-owned" spare switches only have 900,000 miles on them not the 1,031,XXX miles like the Dollytrolley switches.......

Our 97 GMC 3500 power window switch is $114.00 .....with discount only $87........(Unlike the Shaker switch that still worked fine the GMC switch was toast at 180K miles)..

Drive on...........(Cheap.......skate....on)

Dolleytrolley,

Curt

Well we kinda agree they do seem to be simpler mainly in the electronics

We have had a broken wiper arm, replaced an air dryer, had the ac recharged, replaced the batteries, and the most expensive thing so far was had some worn pins in the front brakes causing a pulling to one side and clunking noise which caused front shoes to wear unevenly.

I think it is mainly luck though, we Freightliner owners are just luckier!

While we don't pull a $100000 trailer yet ( one is in the future 5 year plan) we are pulling a trailer with a show vehicle worth almost as much.

Robert and Heidi are pulling a very nice Spacecraft with theirs so Freightliner's are very capable of pulling nicer trailers!

I would look at ordering a new one but we really think this one will last us way past our life span (it has under 500000 miles) and will be passed on to our kids!

Dave

PS: we did have to replace the dash area around the air valve and replace the lights in the gauges when we first bought it. Dealer had all parts in stock including a new stereo! We put parts in ourselves.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I think you'll find that all of us with older trucks whether it's a Pete, K whopper , Cornbinder or freightshaker. Have less problems.

Your talking about trucks that are much simpler with very few electronics. Like mine most are built from steel or aluminum and have real tuck and roll leather not cheap plastic.

Most of us do have louder trucks with a few squeaks and rattles my wife will tell you my body does also but again that comes with age .

Years past rare you saw a truck being towed . Now days I count how many I see on a nightly basis being towed all newer trucks all makes and models with electronic issues and a lot of Smog issues.

On average $250-$750,000 per truck tow trucks are the nicest rigs on the road these days just my opinion

On edit let me say this.

My RV is a 1997 Peterbilt but it work I have had brand-new for 2010 also a 2012 and a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia

Another driver and I slip seated those trucks driving them 24 hours a day five days a week each truck we averaged 250,000 miles the last one 350,000 miles. The only real problem we ever had were a lot of rattles numerous radiators and coolant recovery tanks. Also the air dryer brackets like to break off at the frame.

I now have a 2016 Volvo premium I shift D 13 to my self that I'm getting used to. other then there's absolutely no legroom for me at 6ft 5 and 235 pounds I now have 17,000 miles on it and have not had any problems at all.

I guess I could put it to you this way in high school I had a 1969 Ford four-wheel-drive pick up with a 428 motor I put in it. That truck was super cool super basic and fun to cruise on a Saturday night

But if I wanted to tow my trailer across country I'd rather do it with my old 2005 super duty Ford with the power stroke diesel. It was a lot more comfortable even though it did break down on a regular basis.

Archived