Duty Cycle

Dollytrolley

Body is aluminum as is the bed on a 150. Frame is steel, mostly the high strength version.

Super duty is getting similar treatment in 2017.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Ford

I have a 2015 F-150. George is correct, the body panels are aluminum, the frame is steel. I've been asked dozens of times if I have the aluminum frame, so it's a common misconception.

The aluminum body has one big disadvantage for me.............................I like to use magnetic tool trays and safety lights, and store them under the bed rails inside the box. Won't work on this truck.

Getting back to the subject matter, so far this truck has a very acceptable "duty cycle". That little Eco-Boost is one healthy little pharte. Makes my partners' diesels look pretty sad.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Axles are still my limiter. Death Valley is one of the places where we have to take an early lunch and let them cool or spray them down with water to keep moving on. But hey one of the test pickups burned to the ground in that same place so I guess we are a step ahead of them. ^_^ Anyways, the major difference is that you can custom spec your truck to do what you need it to do so it can run at it all day long. With the big 3 you get what they make. Not to get political, but GHG phase 2 in the coming years tries to head trucks in that same direction of sorts - do all you can to not let that happen!

Buy old or glider the only way out!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Speaking of gliders, I saw an absolutely gorgeous Argosy today. I think it was Highland Moving for United Van lines. Full chrome grill, stainless everywhere on top of the basic white unit. Highly polished wheels, obviously somebody's baby.

So how much would you have to modify an Argosy glider cooling system to accept that 825BHP marine engine? Its Euro II marine spec, so not much in the way of emission systems aside from some EGR maybe? I bet Scrap would know...

http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com/public/specs/4sa438ev0310.pdf

LOL.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Speaking of gliders, I saw an absolutely gorgeous Argosy today. I think it was Highland Moving for United Van lines. Full chrome grill, stainless everywhere on top of the basic white unit. Highly polished wheels, obviously somebody's baby.

So how much would you have to modify an Argosy glider cooling system to accept that 825BHP marine engine? Its Euro II marine spec, so not much in the way of emission systems aside from some EGR maybe? I bet Scrap would know...

LOL.

Geo

Geo..... regarding the marine cooling question.......likely just lay a large hose from the truck over to . . . the closest . . . Ocean . . .

Drive on........(Lotsa cooling for BIG HP........and LOW-DUTY-CYCLE)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

LOL.

Geo

Geo, would you get the Port or Stbd model for the Volvo?

In the off shore fishing world, MTU is a bad name. Cat, Cummins, Detriot, Volvo, are all accepted. MTU means you need McAlister Tugs on your SAT phone speed dial.

I admit to not paying much attention for the last fifteen years or so. I know there are a bazillion MTU series 2000s out there.

When I was playing with boats, MAN had the bad rep for piston failures. And my CATs were very hard, and very expensive to service in South Florida. Volvo wasn't as big a player in the US market as they are now.

If I was buying a marine diesel today, Volvo would be my default choice.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

When we talk "duty cycle" don't we mean what % of time an engine/machine/system is designed operate at a certain output level?

Compared to "life cycle" which means expected time to overhaul when operated within the correct "duty cycle"?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The former.

There has been a lot of work put into defining an HDT duty cycle. A lot of taxpayer dollars at work.

http://cta.ornl.gov/cta/Publications/Reports/ORNL_TM_2008-122.pdf

OTOH, how on earth would you define an LDT duty cycle as there are so many possible scenarios?

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

You guys have me sitting on my poor typing finglers..... There's the EPA spending millions trying to understand trucking and there are OEM's that know (or at least try their best to know) exactly what real world is for their customers and have to spend double the millions proving it. But I better shut up there... :ph34r: While I can't say the whole inside story there are a couple of stories....

The engine test cells were just coming up to speed right when the, um, well the king of aero trucks circa 2006 was in the womb. The test guy wants to figure an OTR cycle to run, we want some #'s, and honestly my mission has always been be the first on the pavement with a new model truck. There's no way I'm letting the boys in TX get their meat hooks into this one so I spend all night and day getting my truck together and instrumented. So then I get to it - after 34 hours off, of course. ;) A few weeks later they get their recording up and going and remember that this is before Google street view, all the flying Google Earth, etc, etc. So I come up and watch this engine doing its thing. After about 3 hours it starts doing some city stuff then totally slows down, revs up and down, torques itself over, then dies..... :blink: Uhhhh guys? Why don't y'all call me when you get your stuff together.... So they repeat that part a good 20 times, have a few good arguments, then point and me and say you missed a gear. What?? I did no such th.............. oh, yea, maybe that mighta happened. My range valve must a stuck. <_< So that friggen error stayed in the files for a good couple of years (without the dying part). I get to be the laughing stock of many a tour but, hey, they kept it in a bunch of tests because it is real world.

So fast forward to a couple years ago and a new vocational model is in the womb. This is shake buck stuff who has plenty of logger files, a ton of haul road files, etc, but we need a quick simple one to start things off on. Again I score it, instrument and camo up a truck, and take it out to the farm where I can close the gate, unveil her, and let her rip. I get em some good stuff in the dirt and a few weeks later they have it set up on the stand. She leans through some corners, hits some furrows, bumps along some washboards, smooths out, then goes bat **** crazy for a couple of seconds, then smooths out again. They look at me, give me the overhead of that spot, and say.....well? Uhhhhhhhhhhh I might have hit a pheasant........ But I didn't hurt any of your accelerometers! That one is still in the files. Yet again, real world.

So just a few months ago they are doing the first tries of the evironmental room. Same story that we get together and I get em some short stuff to play with. Same story, part way through it and the fan goes crazy. It's like hit the deck and get the frick out of there crazy. Some more arguments, fingers point at me with a street view and..... Dude, I nailed that dust devil man!!! Well I guess that one wasn't funny to them but I had no idea of the repurcussions at the time.... Suppose i ought to slow it down a bit.

So drive on...........................(are your duty cycles "real"??) :D

You guys have me sitting on my poor typing finglers..... There's the EPA spending millions trying to understand trucking and there are OEM's that know (or at least try their best to know) exactly what real world is for their customers and have to spend double the millions proving it. But I better shut up there... :ph34r: While I can't say the whole inside story there are a couple of stories....

The engine test cells were just coming up to speed right when the, um, well the king of aero trucks circa 2006 was in the womb. The test guy wants to figure an OTR cycle to run, we want some #'s, and honestly my mission has always been be the first on the pavement with a new model truck. There's no way I'm letting the boys in TX get their meat hooks into this one so I spend all night and day getting my truck together and instrumented. So then I get to it - after 34 hours off, of course. ;) A few weeks later they get their recording up and going and remember that this is before Google street view, all the flying Google Earth, etc, etc. So I come up and watch this engine doing its thing. After about 3 hours it starts doing some city stuff then totally slows down, revs up and down, torques itself over, then dies..... :blink: Uhhhh guys? Why don't y'all call me when you get your stuff together.... So they repeat that part a good 20 times, have a few good arguments, then point and me and say you missed a gear. What?? I did no such th.............. oh, yea, maybe that mighta happened. My range valve must a stuck. <_< So that friggen error stayed in the files for a good couple of years (without the dying part). I get to be the laughing stock of many a tour but, hey, they kept it in a bunch of tests because it is real world.

So fast forward to a couple years ago and a new vocational model is in the womb. This is shake buck stuff who has plenty of logger files, a ton of haul road files, etc, but we need a quick simple one to start things off on. Again I score it, instrument and camo up a truck, and take it out to the farm where I can close the gate, unveil her, and let her rip. I get em some good stuff in the dirt and a few weeks later they have it set up on the stand. She leans through some corners, hits some furrows, bumps along some washboards, smooths out, then goes bat **** crazy for a couple of seconds, then smooths out again. They look at me, give me the overhead of that spot, and say.....well? Uhhhhhhhhhhh I might have hit a pheasant........ But I didn't hurt any of your accelerometers! That one is still in the files. Yet again, real world.

So just a few months ago they are doing the first tries of the evironmental room. Same story that we get together and I get em some short stuff to play with. Same story, part way through it and the fan goes crazy. It's like hit the deck and get the frick out of there crazy. Some more arguments, fingers point at me with a street view and..... Dude, I nailed that dust devil man!!! Well I guess that one wasn't funny to them but I had no idea of the repurcussions at the time.... Suppose i ought to slow it down a bit.

So drive on...........................(are your duty cycles "real"??) :D

Scrap. . . U - R - Dee - Man

Us ......."Unwashed-truck-slaves" ......thought that each "New-And-Improved-Truck-Model" was the "Creation" of Three Lowest-Level-On-Probation-Geeks out behind the main plant that are just cobbling-together various Overrun Parts and a few items out of the Scrap-Pile (no pun-intended)....once the new "wonder-Truck' was together a out of luck paint salesman would drop off 35 gallons of the latest "Rage-Color" to put the final touch to the 'Money-Pit".....

And we ...."Unwashed-truck-slaves" thought that WE...... were the "Test- Mules" AFTER we gave the Sales geek our last dime...

Now you have crushed our ......."Dreams-of-Truck-Birth"......we "Unwashed-truck-slaves" thought that trucks came from the bowels of the truck plant now you "come-clean" and let it out that "other" body-parts are involved in the birthing process.......... so......are you the....."Midwife"?

Did you clear this "Leak" with 'Higher-Ups".......or.....are you really at the "Top" ( as some have suspected)....?

Scrap. . . U - R - Dee - Man

Drive on...........(Be happy......testing is done)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I'm sure that others will agree with me that it is NOT fair that one person gets to have so much fun. Plus gets PAID for it.....

Great stories, Scrap.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In the off shore fishing world, MTU is a bad name. Cat, Cummins, Detriot, Volvo, are all accepted. MTU means you need McAlister Tugs on your SAT phone speed dial.

MTU bad? No, expensive yes! Detroit diesel will soon be no longer, as MTU is the parent company. And since MTU is the parent company will Freightliner survive? Will they want to keep running the emissions gauntlet? Only time will tell......

If you look across MTU's product line you will see they do not offer an engine that will even fit in an HDT! Time will tell.....

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Folks don't worry about the emissioonssssssss thing...... for years I have known a VW / Audi Engineering Chief that is presently here in the

U S ......,so how does one leave here without a passport....

Obviously VW / Audi knows emissions ......very well.....

Drive on.......(Duty-Cycle.......your auto-emission software)

MTU bad? No, expensive yes! Detroit diesel will soon be no longer, as MTU is the parent company. And since MTU is the parent company will Freightliner survive? Will they want to keep running the emissions gauntlet? Only time will tell......

If you look across MTU's product line you will see they do not offer an engine that will even fit in an HDT! Time will tell.....

Curt

I read the report. It will never get much coverage as one of the results was that semis get best mileage at over 70 mph. No government agency would want that fact known.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Err.

They sure do make an engine that will fit in a HDT. With a little finesse. Lol

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/MTU/309_Series-60

ftp://vk.od.ua/Series_60_Marine_6sa160.pdf

Geo

Curt

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Err.

They sure do make an engine that will fit in a HDT. With a little finesse. Lolhttp://www.boattest.com/engine-review/MTU/309_Series-60ftp://vk.od.ua/Series_60_Marine_6sa160.pdf

Geo

George;

A series 60 is a Detroit product, old technology. The current 13, 15, 16 liters are a joint venture with Detroit, not true MTU. The smallest true MTU would be the 2000. The industrial smaller muti purpose engines are someone else's blocks.

Time will tell thou?

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

George;

A series 60 is a Detroit product, old technology. The current 13, 15, 16 liters are a joint venture with Detroit, not true MTU. The smallest true MTU would be the 2000. The industrial smaller muti purpose engines are someone else's blocks.

Time will tell thou?

Curt

Sure. My point is that now MTU owns Detroit, you can get a Series 60 with MTU badges all over it.

The marketing decision seems to be marine is all MTU-badged, US road-going is staying DD badged.

You can even get the 2-stokes through the MTU re-man program.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

And 825hp at 2300 rpm, with a shiny new engine with no DPF or SCR.

Haven't seen torque numbers but they have to be substantial.

Hence the question on what kind of supplemental cooling you would need for an Argosy glider kit as I don't think they have stock radiator capacity for much over 500 hp.

Not saying this would be any kind of legal, but it's a fun idea to play with. Lol

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Archived