unwanted W10 again

bigjim

Trying to be diligent and update an opitional update shown for W7x64. Start it and it shows to be downloading W10. Again it won't stop when you click the stop download and won't respond when you answer no to allowing changes to my machine. Went back and check for more information on it and it shows to be for W8/8.1 and nothing said about W10. For us non-techies this is a really frustrating situation.

Yup, Microsoft REALLY, REALLY wants everyone to upgrade to Windows 10. I have Win 10 installed on my test machine, but due to privacy concerns, I refuse to use it on any machine with personal information. A number of people have come to me for help after their perfectly functioning Windows 7 / 8 machines updated all on their own, even though they had declined upgrade offers. To make matters worse, a couple had overage charges from their ISP for downloading the unwanted install files. :angry:

I have tried uninstalling the GWX program (Get Windows X), registry patches, and setting group policies to not upgrade. As long as Microsoft Update is set to automatically install updates, these settings are ignored and reversed. :angry::angry::angry:

The bottom line is that you need to trust the maker of your operating system and Microsoft has lost mine! I am now running Linux for 95% of my computing needs and when I absolutely need Windows, I boot into Windows 7 with Internet access disabled.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Yup, Microsoft REALLY, REALLY wants everyone to upgrade to Windows 10. I have Win 10 installed on my test machine, but due to privacy concerns, I refuse to use it on any machine with personal information. A number of people have come to me for help after their perfectly functioning Windows 7 / 8 machines updated all on their own, even though they had declined upgrade offers. To make matters worse, a couple had overage charges from their ISP for downloading the unwanted install files. :angry:

I have tried uninstalling the GWX program (Get Windows X), registry patches, and setting group policies to not upgrade. As long as Microsoft Update is set to automatically install updates, these settings are ignored and reversed. :angry::angry::angry:

The bottom line is that you need to trust the maker of your operating system and Microsoft has lost mine! I am now running Linux for 95% of my computing needs and when I absolutely need Windows, I boot into Windows 7 with Internet access disabled.

Safe Travels...

Rodger, X10..........

So far I have "escaped" the "10-thing" by limiting my net-time on Windows.........Linux works well for my "retirement, needs" .......

Drive on...........(keep your "Windows........clean")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It is my understanding that Microsoft has come up with a new strategy. Microsoft has been moving away from the concept of service packs. Windows 8 never had a service pack, even though Win 8.1 could have been considered to be one. Rather than service packs, Windows 10 will be a rolling release. There will be big update packs from time to time, such as the upcoming Threshold 2, which should be released the first part of November. I am sure that IT support staff will be stressed with the constant changes. :blink:

Safe Travels...

It must be dependant on your computer make! I have a Dell with Win/7 Pro and clicked control panel; then windows update; then used the left pane clicked change update setting and checked choose when to download and install. 2) Then went to updates clicked optional updates scrolled down to Win/10; unchecked the box; right clicked and clicked hide. I mostly use WIFI. Now I just check windows upodate and select what I want.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Pieere,

I did much the same. I have all my personal systems set to tell me when there are updates before downloading and installing.

My mistake was to make the reservation. If you did not reserve it, it should not be hassling you. But here is the best I can show to get rid of the update.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-get-windows-10-app-pc

The following involves a registry edit. Caution! Back up all your files, establish a Windows restore point, and be sure you have a clone/image/restore partition before doing any manual removals and registry edits.

But if that does not work, here is an excerpt from a Microsoft Community post:

"I have a similar problem since yesterday with my Windows 7 desktop. I did as you advised. Update KB2990214 was installed on 4/13/15 on my computer. When I restarted, I still have the same problem. When I try to install the latest updates, Windows 10 starts to download. Please help.

I had the same problem. After talking to 2 MS techs, the problem was elevated to a level 3 tech who was very helpful and resolved my problem. Total phone time for all 3 techs was about 8 hours. I requested he email me what he did to correct the problem. I told him I would never want to update to Windows 10. The following is an excerpt from his email to me.

"Steps made:

Locate the following key on the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Microsoft> Windows> CurrentVersion> WindowsUpdate> OSUpgrade

Look for the KEY : AllowOSUpgrade

Change it to zero"

The Windows 10 files that were downloaded initially were manually deleted on my C drive by me."

That whole thread can be found here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-do-i-cancel-the-windows-10-upgrade/22ab141f-473a-4c1d-ba85-eb063ab91eac?auth=1

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My registry on the Win7 laptop that I don't want to upgrade, has AllowOSUpgrade already set to zero. Interesting.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Windows state my Dell Model 1121 is compatible; but Dell website says no. Heads up all check the manufacturers website before you download Win/10.

I am not updating this computer; but have done so on my old 2005 Acer and it seems to work well. Tried to download Explore 11 on it; no luck. But edge works well. I just love learning!

RV; I never had luck with making a system image; so I will live with the icon on my task bar. LOL! I did not reserve it so it may not bother me.

Guys mine is fine with my update seti=tings asking before even downloading or installing, and my reservations canceled a 4-6 weeks ago. Pierre, make a system USB recovery stick usually a 16 GB USB flash drive will suffice. Or your manufacturer may have provided a quick restore media creator system on your 'Pooter. If not then just get an external hard drive larger than the drive on the computer, download Macrium Reflect free to your computer, and create an Image with it to your external USB hard drive. Armed with your recovery thumb drive to boot your computer into the recovery mode you can then just select the image to restore from the attached USB hard drive. You don't have to test restoring it, especially with you saying you can't. The easiest way is to just clone your hard drive. Then remove the original drive and try booting with the clone. If it works you can keep using it and put the original drive in a safe place. Or you can replace your original drive and put the clone in a safe place. With today's prices at ~ 60 bucks for an external USB 3 1TB drive for images, and about the same for a 1 TB internal drive you can make with a 15 dollar drive wire, a clone is easiest and safest as you never manipulate your data, just copy it to another internal drive.

Internet explorer is already on your computer. Open file explorer and go to this: PC/OS (C:)/Program Files (x86) and you will see an Internet explorer folder in the list. Double click that folder and then you will see a bunch of files. Look for the IE E symbol and the file iexplore. Double click it to open, then reduce it to the task bar, right click it and pin to taskbar and then you can close it and it will be there if you ever want or need want to use it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

:rolleyes::D I took my newest Acer Aspire E 15 that I installed Linux Mint on and used a boot USB stick and Win/8 on then a Win/10 Disc I made awhile back and went back and changed my BIOS to UEFI instead of Legacy, then installed and upgraded to Win/10. I must have had a wicked brain fart to remember where all the software was! It is working now; doing quite well; except asking me to do updates of some programs. LOL!

:):) Derrick; I even have found IE; thanks to you and just use it for my email acct. mostly. I also put the Opera browser on here. THANKS!

The saga continues, and it is getting worse:

Beware, Microsoft plans to push Windows 10 on even more Windows 7 and 8 systems

Microsoft wants computer systems that run Windows 7 or 8 to be upgraded to Windows 10, there is no doubt about that.

The company projected that more than one billion Windows 10 devices will be running the new operating system in the next couple of years which is an ambitious goal even if you consider that this includes mobile devices and the Xbox.

Windows 7 and 8 users who want to upgrade can do so easily, but those who don't, fight an seemingly endless battle against Windows 10 upgrade patches that prepares their systems for the upgrade.

This led to situations where Windows 10 was already downloaded to a PC despite the user being unaware of it.

Two weeks ago, Microsoft pushed the Windows 10 upgrade forcefully to some systems and stated later that this happened by accident.

A recent post on the official Windows Experience Blog indicates that the accident may soon become reality for millions of Windows 7 and 8 systems.

Microsoft plans to deliver Windows 10 as an optional update "soon in order to make it easier for users to find it.

Optional updates are not installed by default but listed in Windows Update alongside recommended and important updates.

Then early next year, it plans to re-categorize Windows 10 as a recommended update which is a significant change as it will initiate the upgrade process automatically on systems configured to install recommended updates automatically just like important updates.

While users will receive a prompt when that happens, so that they are not surprised that a new operating system has been installed on their device, it may be the safest to disable the automatic installation of recommended updates if you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a computer running an older version of Windows. Microsoft notes that the upgrade can be rolled back in the first 31 days.

It is likely that users will be caught in the cross-fire when the change goes live. For some, it will make it easier to upgrade to Windows 10 -- there is no doubt about that. But for those users who don't want Windows 10, it may mean that Windows 10 will be downloaded to their system depending on the configured update settings of it.

Considering that the response to Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade accident was anything but positive, it is likely that the reactions this time will be even less so.

---
You can read the entire article here:
Safe Travels...

Roger K4RS, W 10 was listed as an optional update yesterday when I did a search for updates. I almost missed the check box-which appeared pre-checked to download W 10.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray, just imagine if you had updates set to "Automatic" and had checked the box to include recommended updates as well (the default settings). Think of how many people who do not have the technical skills to make an informed decision or to fix things when they go wrong. I think I am going to be very busy in the near future helping others get their computers to work the way THEY want.

Safe Travels...

There is a new version of a program to block the W10 upgrade. I posted an article about it up in Connecting on the road. The article is "A better blocker is available to shield you from coerced 'Get Windows 10' updates"

Here is a link to the post here on SKPs forums and with links to get it: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120527

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived