PPL Motorhomes

Dejae

We are looking to buy a motorhome and were thinking about traveling to PPL

I was curious after reading their buying information

Has anyone here bought from PPL?

If so, did you have a full inspection done? I see they want $500 earnest money and then give you 5 days to close the deal.

It doesn't say if you decide no in 5 days, do you loose the earnest money or do they give it back?

Not sure if one can get an inspector and the inspection done within the 5 days. What happens if it fails inspection. Bent chassis or something.

That is not included in there

The pre-delivery check out and demonstration will include the following equipment:

• Generator
  • D/C Power Converter
  • Roof Air Conditioner (s)
  • Refrigerator (gas and electric)
  • Slide Out (s)
  • Range
  • Oven
  • Furnace
  • Microwave
  • Hot water heater (gas only)
  • Toilet
  • Fresh water pump and System
  • Ice maker
  • Holding tanks (filled to 3/4 full and then checked for leaks)
  • Hydraulic/electric jacks
  • Electric Step
  • Awning (demonstration only) "As Is"
  • All batteries are "As-Is"
  • Headlights, blinkers, brake and marker lights
  • Roof and Window Seals "As Is"

Your cost for this check out is $390.00.

If any of the items listed above do not work properly during the demonstration, you may cancel the purchase. If the owner will not repair the item your $500.00 earnest money would be returned and the demonstration fee waived.

What about if bigger things are not working right? To bad?

I have heard so many good things about PPL but this is giving me reservations....if anyone can shine a direct light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

We purchased a used Nu Wa 5th two years ago from PPL in Houston. They were extremely professional. Their inventory was extensive. They arranged for delivery to the Escapees CARE facility in Livingston where it sits today as our daughter's home there at CARE. Our only disappointment was that after delivery we discovered that the black tank haven't been emptied by the previous owners and became a nasty challenge for me. Would I do business with them again? I believe so. They did what they said and made the purchase painless. Knowing what I know now, I believe that I might explore a bit further before buying. As always, oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

We bought our there and I was VERY impressed. They were very professional and I was impressed in all measure. The way I understand it, if you decide you do not want the rig, after you get there, you get you deposit back. I suspect that the deposit is to make sure that you are indeed serious and to keep people from saying, "Yes hold the rig for me." and then they don't show up.

I did indeed pay the money for them to check it all over, and they went through all of the systems with me and showed me that they all worked. As I said, I had a VERY positive experience.

I would suggest that if you can find somebody who can run through their rig with you, demonstrating how everything worked, you wouldn't be such a newby when you got to Houston. And, I don't know about you, but I was a little nervous about driving through Houston to go home, having never driven one before.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

We have owned a motorhome before but we had time to have it inspected.

I am concerned about them not giving enough time to get a hired inspection of engine, transmission, drive train, chassis etc.

Blessed Travels,

"Being that it's a consignment dealer..." I believe that they own some of the coaches on their lot. We didn't buy from them, but fully expected to.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I am concerned about them not giving enough time to get a hired inspection of engine, transmission, drive train, chassis etc.

I'm with you on this one. All the things that they are "checking out" for you are all related to the "house" not the MH itself. All of those can be replaced or repaired for a lot less money than a major engine or transmission service.

You don't say whether you're looking for a gas MH or a DP, but for the latter I'd definitely want an engine oil and transmission fluid analysis, AT AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. http://www.jglubricantservices.com/ is a reputable analysis lab and I'm pretty sure it has a Houston facility. If you could take samples and hand carry them to the lab you could have the results in a day or two.

With respect to maintenance records, they would be great, if you can get them. But you also need to know what to look for if you get them, especially if you're looking at a DP. A lot of people think that service is little more than an oil change and filter. But there are other important things like fuel and transmission filters that need to be replaced on a regular basis, also. If it's an older DP, was the original transmission fluid ever replaced with Transynd? If not, when was it last changed? Is the coolant one of the more modern ELC types or is it glycol-based?

Of course, one thing you can check on your own is the age of the tires. You would hate to buy a MH only to discover that you unexpectedly needed to replace the tires right afterward. At least by looking at the tire ages you can make this part of your negotiation.

As for PPL itself, we viewed their inventory of DPs last year because my wife was familiar with PPL's website and wanted to see what it was like "in real life." What we found was probably consistent with what you'd find at any consignment dealership and isn't a reflection of PPL. At the time we looked at the DP inventory in the $75-200k range (and, of course, the inventory is always changing) we were rather turned off by the condition (both wear and cleanliness) of the MH's being offered for sale. IMO it was amazing that anyone would list a MH without, at least, giving it a thorough cleaning. I realize that our experience only reflects the inventory at the time we visited, but I mention this just so you don't have unrealistic expectations of what you will find there. We both agreed that we'd have walked away rather than buy anything we saw.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Bought my Trek from PPL. Altogether a good experience.

Had it inspected by an independent firm.

Did have an issue with the dash air not working on delivery which PPL got fixed.

I would have no reservations about buying from them again.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

From the other side...we sold our motorhome within one month through PPL and it was an easy, pleasant experience. I believe that all units on the lot are owner-owned - not owned by PPL.

As far as cleaning, we, too, wonder why folks don't clean them up for sale - not just here but at any used one you look at - Craig's List, wherever. PPL did a full detail in and out. Although we always kept ours up, it sure looked spiffy when they were finished. It's not PPL's problem if they're not cleaned, it's the owners.

PPL is not a typical sales lot. All they do is give space and advertising for the owners. It's a relaxing way to look - going through and at your leisure. They do not follow you around. They'll answer questions but if you want more detailed information they'll connect you with the owner. We were amazed at how many lookers they get coming through with a couple hours' time along with the buyers and those dropping units off. That place is very busy.

Our buyer flew in from Florida and spent a week there. He had an independent inspection done. One comment we received was how appreciative he was that we supplied every single original maintenance record. I think this really helps in a sale.

If you have concerns about the timing to have an inspection done just give them a call for a definite answer.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

PPL was originally a consignment only lot. However, now they will buy your RV outright and pay you cash up front. Or, they will take your RV for trade in on another RV on their lot. They also are a dealer for brand new RV's.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/seller/sell-my-rv-motorhome.htm

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Bought my Trek from PPL. Altogether a good experience.

Had it inspected by an independent firm.

Did have an issue with the dash air not working on delivery which PPL got fixed.

I would have no reservations about buying from them again.

So you did have enough time to have an independent inspection.

I was concerned because it says you can see it online, call them with Credit card to give them $500 earnest money and then have 5 days to get there and decide if your going to buy it. There was something about if seller is willing they can extend it to I think 10 days.

But if your flying there, you can't book a decent priced flight inside of 10 days.

If I am driving,...it is minimal 2 days there...Look at it, Cal an inspector. Don't think they are always available the next day....So now if it is the day after, we are on day 5..unless you were capable of getting the extra 10 days....your stuck.

Please tell me, how you did your process.

Blessed Travels,

I'm with you on this one. All the things that they are "checking out" for you are all related to the "house" not the MH itself. All of those can be replaced or repaired for a lot less money than a major engine or transmission service.

You don't say whether you're looking for a gas MH or a DP, but for the latter I'd definitely want an engine oil and transmission fluid analysis, AT AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. http://www.jglubricantservices.com/ is a reputable analysis lab and I'm pretty sure it has a Houston facility. If you could take samples and hand carry them to the lab you could have the results in a day or two.

With respect to maintenance records, they would be great, if you can get them. But you also need to know what to look for if you get them, especially if you're looking at a DP. A lot of people think that service is little more than an oil change and filter. But there are other important things like fuel and transmission filters that need to be replaced on a regular basis, also. If it's an older DP, was the original transmission fluid ever replaced with Transynd? If not, when was it last changed? Is the coolant one of the more modern ELC types or is it glycol-based?

Of course, one thing you can check on your own is the age of the tires. You would hate to buy a MH only to discover that you unexpectedly needed to replace the tires right afterward. At least by looking at the tire ages you can make this part of your negotiation.

As for PPL itself, we viewed their inventory of DPs last year because my wife was familiar with PPL's website and wanted to see what it was like "in real life." What we found was probably consistent with what you'd find at any consignment dealership and isn't a reflection of PPL. At the time we looked at the DP inventory in the $75-200k range (and, of course, the inventory is always changing) we were rather turned off by the condition (both wear and cleanliness) of the MH's being offered for sale. IMO it was amazing that anyone would list a MH without, at least, giving it a thorough cleaning. I realize that our experience only reflects the inventory at the time we visited, but I mention this just so you don't have unrealistic expectations of what you will find there. We both agreed that we'd have walked away rather than buy anything we saw.

I have heard that the units are not cleaned....if the sellers cleaned them then they are and if not, they aren't. I also heard that some get cleaned by owner but if alot of people have been in them and there has been alot of rain. It makes things worse looking

And to answer your first questions, YES, We are looking for another DP.

Blessed Travels,

PPL Houston and New Braunfels was part of our search process when looking for our motorhome last spring. We were amazed at how unclean, putting it mildly, the motorhomes were. Our price range was $100K to $175K. We did find a clean 2010 in New Braunfels and they were very cooperative allowing time for our independent inspector to inspect the coach. They did not necessarily agree with all of his findings but it was our decision to pass on the coach. No issue with deposit since they were not planning to charge the deposit unless it passed inspection. New Braunfels is more laid back than Houston or they just don't follow the corporate rules as rigidly as Houston.

If you want to see clean, well presented coaches go the Nacogdoches, TX and visit Motorhomes of Texas. They are consignment but totally staged to show them off well.

We eventually bought our coach from I35RV in Denton, TX Good people and they have kept their word on addressing all issues when have found to our satisfaction.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

When we put our Mobile Suites on their lot we paid to have it professionally cleaned. PPL arranged it all. If the owner doesn't want to pay then it isn't cleaned. Can't blame PPL for a dirty unkempt unit.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

PPL Houston and New Braunfels was part of our search process when looking for our motorhome last spring. We were amazed at how unclean, putting it mildly, the motorhomes were. Our price range was $100K to $175K. We did find a clean 2010 in New Braunfels and they were very cooperative allowing time for our independent inspector to inspect the coach. They did not necessarily agree with all of his findings but it was our decision to pass on the coach. No issue with deposit since they were not planning to charge the deposit unless it passed inspection. New Braunfels is more laid back than Houston or they just don't follow the corporate rules as rigidly as Houston.

If you want to see clean, well presented coaches go the Nacogdoches, TX and visit Motorhomes of Texas. They are consignment but totally staged to show them off well.

We eventually bought our coach from I35RV in Denton, TX Good people and they have kept their word on addressing all issues when have found to our satisfaction.

Thanks Aggie, much appreciated for the info....

Blessed Travels,

I'm pretty sure that if after a reasonable period of time and ours doesn't sell, I'll take it to PPL. I've talked with people who have had dealings with them & they were satisfied. So I'll give it a shot.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Just curious...alot of the pictures online are the actual unit...how do they make them look clean? Photoshop?

Because despite all this talk about unclean units, many owners opt to clean them or have them detailed. It's definitely not Photoshop! While we were there dropping ours off for selling, we walked through a handful and yes, they were clean. We did choose to look at those comparable to ours in year and quality and those were clean.

I'm sure you could find many not cleaned, too, especially old ones. Believe it or not, some owners do not care. We took pride in ours and always kept it up. It is not PPL's responsibility for cleaning them. It's the owner's - either do it yourself or have it cleaned. This is a consignment lot. PPL gives you a place to park your RV and advertise it. That's it. They don't have 'rules' of cleaning them or fixing things. It's just like you would go from private party to private party looking for a used RV. You'll find some in excellent condition and some junk.

When you find your choice and have it inspected, if you find something wrong, PPL will contact the owner for some options - have it fixed, lower the price & you have it fixed, or keep the price and repairs 'as is'. It's up to the owner to decide. The owner determines the price, not PPL. PPL will recommend a selling price but the owner can change it.

Because of your inspection concerns I really don't understand why you don't just call PPL and ask about the timing. Then you'll get definite answers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

When we put our Mobile Suites on their lot we paid to have it professionally cleaned. PPL arranged it all. If the owner doesn't want to pay then it isn't cleaned. Can't blame PPL for a dirty unkempt unit.

Exactly... We had consignment bikes and some thought we should detail it for them.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

We lived south of Houston for 20 years. Sold the house 1 yr ago. PPL never flooded during that time. We have browsed their many times and you will find all levels of cleanliness. They are not high pressure. You just walk the lot and look in the rv's

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We lived south of Houston for 20 years. Sold the house 1 yr ago. PPL never flooded during that time. We have browsed their many times and you will find all levels of cleanliness. They are not high pressure. You just walk the lot and look in the rv's

Thanks Ronbo for the info. I still researching the web for flood info around Houston area this year. Not trying to hijack thread, but if they had flooding on their lots, I would pass on any vehicle there at the time. Like buying a car from a flood area. Still planning to stop and look for myself, but if there was flooding, I will pass on by. jmo.

Jim

Thanks 2 gypsies, that was great info and yes, I think we will call them

Lostinfl.... If you find out anything more I WOULD LOVE to see you post it here as that would be a big factor.

Anyone on here have a unit for sale there and heard anything about the units being in standing water for long lengths?

Thanks everyone. really glad I started this thread. I can use all the info I can get.

Our other unit we kept for a very short time. Long story and boring but after that one we had to wait another 3 years before we could look for another.

We were not full timers in that one but the next one will be so we are taking our time to hopefully find the right fit the first time.

Thanks again

Blessed Travels,

Archived