Is it too much to ask for parts to fit properly?

CrazyCooter

Rick,

I stand to be corrected also but I think Newmar frames are of their own manufacture or least wise outsourced from other than Lippert. Their frame is a little more narrow than most other high end trailers and often have "dualies" on two axles rather than singles on three axles. I would not be afraid at all of a good used Newmar. Maybe Ron (Sibernut) or others with a Newmar will chime in.

As an aside, I think school is still out on what Thor will do with DRV. Supposed to be hands off for now but when the money crunchers start looking bet quality may suffer.

On edit found this thread on Newmars.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=107444

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We like our x-aire have not had any problems everything works as expected. The back door does not look like a toyhauler the load angle is not as steep as alot of others.

Dan

Newmar X-Aire Toyhauler

2000 610 Volvo

2000 CVO RoadGlide

In house built frame, New Horizon

Nu%252520Horizon%252520frame%2525201.jpg

Look at the transition between the main frame and the forward elevated fifth wheel area, gussetting, etc.

Mass built "industry standard" frame, don't know if Lippert built it or not, but they were "hanging around" in big bunches at a RV Surplus place in Michigan. Price $300-500 each, little more than scrap value.

2848247660096176628bReFdu_fs.jpg

The designer of this frame was an idiot and whoever built this frame was an idiot for going along with building it. No gussets, the whole thing cantilevers in those three piddly weld areas shown. If Lippert built it they failed in the basic premise of communicating between the supplier and the manufacturer of informing the manufacturer that they were building garbage and as a result making them part of building garbage.

Lots has been written about Lippert frames on many forums of different makes and inevitably the customers who suffered frame failures are caught in between finger pointing between the manufacturer and Lippert, trying to determine who is at fault.

The example above says that both are at fault, the idiot that designed it and the idiot who acquiesced to building it and shipping it.

Hi phoenix2013 - are you saying stitch welded squares aren't stronger than triangles?? :D:D

Hi rickeieio - our trailer is a Carriage manufactured toyhauler branded "C-Force". It is low on glitz and glam, but rates pretty high on "structure" and "decent quality workmanship"... I always look for how wiring is routed and secured, plumbing is done, fit and finish. This trailer rates quite low on my "stupid stuff" index... B)

They might be worth a look if you are garage people.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Hi phoenix2013 - are you saying stitch welded squares aren't stronger than triangles?? :D:D

Hi rickeieio - our trailer is a Carriage manufactured toyhauler branded "C-Force". It is low on glitz and glam, but rates pretty high on "structure" and "decent quality workmanship"... I always look for how wiring is routed and secured, plumbing is done, fit and finish. This trailer rates quite low on my "stupid stuff" index... B)

Not Phoenix but the lack of gussets where the arrows are will flex and crack. Add to the fact it will be very light weight steel also.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Not Phoenix but the lack of gussets where the arrows are will flex and crack. Add to the fact it will be very light weight steel also.

Hi Glenn - understood - it were yet another one of my lame attempts at saying a joke - the Mrs says my humour goes over better when I keep my mouth shut :mellow:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I've got a 2004 RE3 DRV Mobile Suite of with one of the last Pre-Lippert frames. It appears to me to be considerably heavier than the frames that are 'specced on most of the 5th wheels on the road now adays and we will just keep upgrading what we have thank you very much. I believe it was Heartland who purchased DRV and Heartland is owned by Thor. It will indeed be interesting to see where DRV goes with design and build in the future, right now i don't think i'd buy another one but then again I can't afford a Continental Coach yet!

John & Jo , 1998 Volvo 610, 2004 RE3 36' Mobile Suites, 2011 Smart 'Pure'.

I'd like to remain "garage people" for as long as our health allows us to ride motorcycles. Especially sport-touring bikes. Hopefully we have quite a few years to go. B)

I'll certainly check out the C-Force line.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Lippert, or whatever company Lippert owns that builds frame could very easily build serviceable RV frames that perform, that are lightweight and meet the price points, or maybe need to be just a "little bit more expensive" to have the essential quality.

The RV industry entered the stupid phase in the last decade or so. The same as the auto industry stupid phase in the 70. Until Ralph Nader got on their case they built some real garbage, remember the K cars from Chrysler, the Citations from GM, the 2 mph paper thin bumpers. Have you ever seen one of these offered for sale at Barrett-Jackson auto auction?

US industry can build quality cars again after being shown how to do it by the imports and taken to the woodshed.

I don't think much will change in the near future, since there are no RV imports coming in to to provide quality competition at the lower price points.

The 'malaise' era of auto design and production when the Japanese in particular left them standing at the gate.

Wonder how hard it would be to put together a Lippert frame competitor that did quality work at a good price point?

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

The 'malaise' era of auto design and production when the Japanese in particular left them standing at the gate.

Wonder how hard it would be to put together a Lippert frame competitor that did quality work at a good price point?

There was a lively discussion between the audience and the folks from the Forks RV at the last HDT Rally.

"Do you use Lippert parts", was the question?

They answered was that generally "No", but that a total abdication is just not possible anymore since they sucked up so many companies that in some instances they are the only sources of needed parts.

Fork builds critical components, like frames, in-house and they have stringent quality control over stuff coming from outside, so if Lippert tries to get something by them they get "caught".

They also pointed out that the RV industry is full of really cheap manufacturers who will jump in a second to another supplier who will shave 5 cents on a 5 dollar part. And Lippert basically plays the game of being a low-baller on as many items and part as possible to supply and own the cheap crowd. The cheap crowd rules since the people looking for quality are a distinct minority of RVers.

Archived