RV ladder

Shallow Draft

Ok a width question.

What are the opinions on leaving the ladder on the side of a 5th wheel.

I have a jayco toy hauler and the ladder on the side makes it pretty wide. Not sure if it is over width but I suspect it is.

Anyone ever had a problem?

Either legal or snagging on something.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Had a nice gentleman in Michigan lead us and our 35' Puma toyhauler through a large campground at 11:30 PM. Blissfully unaware, we slept the sleep of the innocents. Next morning we had to backtrack & pick up parts & pieces of ladder. Never saw, felt, or heard anything.

Current trailer ladder only protrudes 2".

just sayin'

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Shallow,

RV Dealers deal with the side protrusions in handles, lights, ladders and awnings, all the time so they may be a good source of info......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

In Colorado, from memory so I might be mistaken, but I believe max width is 8'6" for a trailer, and for an RV with appurtenances it cannot exceed 9'6". I don't know if there is any national uniformity in this area or not. I'm right at the limit with an external wheelchair lift folded up along the right side of my 5th, and there are times I remove the platform to tuck everything back under where the awnings roll up to. I've been through some construction zones where I'm glad I did narrow up a bit.

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com

Shallow,

RV Dealers deal with the side protrusions in handles, lights, ladders and awnings, all the time so they may be a good source of info......

I hadn't thought about the dealers, Mostly because I tend not to trust the individuals who might not really know.

Most of my friends leave theirs on. I am sure my max is 8.6 legally but I am sure my mirrors are wider than that. but that is safety equipment so I know that is not included.

Mostly I am wondering if it has been an issue for the snags like Paul described.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Max width limits do not include safety equipment. Mirrors, steps, lug nut covers are in safety equipment. Somehow awnings are also safety equipment.

I question if a ladder would fit under safety equipment.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Had a nice gentleman in Michigan lead us and our 35' Puma toyhauler through a large campground at 11:30 PM. Blissfully unaware, we slept the sleep of the innocents. Next morning we had to backtrack & pick up parts & pieces of ladder. Never saw, felt, or heard anything.

Current trailer ladder only protrudes 2".

just sayin'

Paul

Paul, I'm really not trusting anybody to lead me anywhere anymore. My DW has our concerns in mind, and if I'm smart, I will listen only to her.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Somehow awnings are also safety equipment.

I once "heard" of two motorhomes being cited for overwidth (in California) due to their awnings. If you want to be downright technical, an awning isnt safety equipment. But I have seen a lot of toy haulers equipped with side ladders. It would be real hard to hit another car or object with an awning but I wouldn't want to hit anything with that ladder, cuz guess who is gonna whip out that tape measure when they work that accident? Anything over 4" passed the edge of the vehicle needs a flag and like it has been said, most states are 102" width. I know anyone hauling a smart is a few inches over but that ladder is way back at the rear and a lot easier to snag on something as you go by. I think I would go measure the trailer body...and the ladder.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I once "heard" of two motorhomes being cited for overwidth (in California) due to their awnings. If you want to be downright technical, an awning isnt safety equipment. But I have seen a lot of toy haulers equipped with side ladders. It would be real hard to hit another car or object with an awning but I wouldn't want to hit anything with that ladder, cuz guess who is gonna whip out that tape measure when they work that accident? Anything over 4" passed the edge of the vehicle needs a flag and like it has been said, most states are 102" width. I know anyone hauling a smart is a few inches over but that ladder is way back at the rear and a lot easier to snag on something as you go by. I think I would go measure the trailer body...and the ladder.

Yep, that's what I hear too. Only thing over 102" allowed are the mirrors.

I'm a work'n on it.

Great thread!! I think I have enough info to continue in the manner I have been.

No Ladder on the side for me.

Mine does stick out farther than I am comfortable with.

My 2007 Weekend Warrior had a ladder on the side. I took it off for the first few trips but then it was just always in the way. I put it back on and never had a problem from Utah to Iowa to Florida on various routes. On later models they put a hinge on the bottom supports and would lift the ladder up about 3 inches and it would fold in close to the wall. Always thought I would attempt that mod but didn't get it done before going the SpaceCraft route. No side ladder for me now. There is nothing on the roof except vent caps.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

In most cases, you have 6" to work with in dealing with maximum width for "appurtenances," which I guess is the technical term for "crap that the manufacturer couldn't be bothered to make flush with the side of the RV."

Here's a reference from RVIA that lists the applicable statutes by state: http://www.rvia.org/UniPop.cfm?v=2&OID=3378&CC=8544

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived