Cat Engine Oil Change

For $600 I will change your oil. No that is not normal. I usually do my own but I believe for a RV it is usually $199

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Dont pay that its a rip off rate.

It means they really dont want to do it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

for that size engine, Cat C9, it takes almost 10 gal of oil; so even at current Walmart prices for Rotella 15w40, that's almost $200 just for the oil material cost, plus a $20 filter, plus an hours labor and markup. I would say the avg cost for just the basic C9 oil & filter change is around $300 - $350 at a typical truck shop; more if you ask for other services added to the oil change. its not surprising that a Cat factory shop price would be significantly higher and they may have been quoting a service "package" that includes a few additional services.

Jim

for that size engine, Cat C9, it takes almost 10 gal of oil; so even at current Walmart prices for Rotella 15w40, that's almost $200 just for the oil material cost, plus a $20 filter, plus an hours labor and markup. I would say the avg cost for just the basic C9 oil & filter change is around $300 - $350 at a typical truck shop; more if you ask for other services added to the oil change. its not surprising that a Cat factory shop price would be significantly higher and they may have been quoting a service "package" that includes a few additional services.

10 gallons? Wow! I thought 8 quarts was a lot in my gasser.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

LOL, my Freightliner DD13 takes 43 quarts and a DD15 will soak up 47 quarts.... That's one of the reasons the oil change intervals are 35,000 to 50,000 miles depending on how you use the truck.

So, actually, you use less oil than I do, since mine is changed every 5,000. This makes more sense. I will use 20 gallons every 50,000.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Schulamite,

What is the list of things that they would do for that price? When the Cummins-Onan service center does the pm service on our 370 ISL Cummins, which holds 24 qts, it runs in the $300-400 range. Cummins uses a good quality of regular dino oil for diesels, 15w-40, oil filter, (2) fuel filters, chassis lube, Onan diesel genie service(7.5kw), anti-freeze checked for proper additive level, etc. It will always be cheaper if you DIY but not always convenient. I also don't believe that synthetic oil is superior enough to warrant its price and to justify its use when somewhat frequent chances are done.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Don't think of it as an "oil Change". Done correctly it is much more. My ISX service at 70mi was about $1400; Change engine oil (I use semi-synthetic @ 10,000 mile intrervals), Change Transmission with Allison Stnthetic fluid, chage air cleaner ($200+), Oil Filet, Fuel Filter,service air dryer, lube & check several chassis & brake parts.

Want to play? you gotta pay!

--

Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold, Full-timers since 2011

The National Camping Travelers, Camping Group for Masonic Families
2004 Bounder 38N, Diesel Pusher

2005 Toyota RAV4, 4cyl, Stick

500W of Solar with seldom used generator.

My Cat C-12 takes 36 quarts of oil (9 gals). I seriously doubt that a C-9 uses 40 quarts. But I've never paid that much for an oil change.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My Cat C-12 takes 36 quarts of oil (9 gals). I seriously doubt that a C-9 uses 40 quarts. But I've never paid that much for an oil change.

A C-9 takes 34 quarts or 8.5 gallons

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I second going to Speedco. There's one down in Corning that we use.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

I usually get mine serviced at the FMCA rally in Indio every January by Jim Fulkerson service. My CAT 3126E takes 22 Qts of oil. Last service he did the engine oil, filter, fuel filter, transmission and filters, genset oil & filter and lubed the chassis. Costs $700 plus tax.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Excuse me but my C13 (525 HP Cat) only takes 34 qts (less than 9 gallons). That's how much the oil change was at Alliance coach.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Archived