leaving 5th wheel connected over night

I am trying to make our RV trips less "taxing" on my "old body," and have made up my mind to have shorter days, perhaps no more that 150 miles, at the most. Then I realized that "setting up" the 5th wheel ---- and doing all that has to be done ---- and "taking down," takes a lot of time and energy which can really be a problem in hot weather. So, I am thinking about just leaving the 5th wheel connected to the truck and doing whatever has to be done to level the trailer, and just leaving it that way until the next morning. I guess I need to say that my trailer sits on an air ride hitch with four air bags. What are your thoughgts.

Thanks, C. Skinner

I have never disconnected any fifth wheel I had when just staying overnight. I just disconnect the cord from the truck to the trailer so no battery drain to truck.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Do it all the time..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have airbags and air hitch so the air would probably leak out. Does it cause a problem if the pin sits on deflated air hitch overnight?

If you put the jacks down on the trailer, then you could wind up hanging the truck from the pin when the air springs deflate.

We level the trailer on the Big Foot Leveling system so we always unhook. We unhook the trailer and move a couple of feet forward. We leave the trailer umbilical cable attached

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If you put the jacks down on the trailer, then you could wind up hanging the truck from the pin when the air springs deflate.

We level the trailer on the Big Foot Leveling system so we always unhook. We unhook the trailer and move a couple of feet forward. We leave the trailer umbilical cable attached

To clarify,

I was more concerned whether 5-6k pin wt on a deflated Trailsaver or suspension would be a problem. This being done without lowering landing gear.

I have never disconnected any fifth wheel I had when just staying overnight. I just disconnect the cord from the truck to the trailer so no battery drain to truck.

I agree. Disconnect the cord when staying the night.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I never disconnected overnight when I had my HDT..

Dropped the rear air, and leveled other ways. As long as the fifth wheel is not holding up the air hitch...no problem...

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

We always stay connected in travel mode. Drop the air from the hitch, Do a reasonable level, plug in the electricity and that is it. I really don't understand why people feel they need to unhook and hook up water, sewer and electricity every night. This is why RVs have tanks.

We drop the trailer so we can level it with the Big Foot system. We can't level with the Big Foot with the truck hanging on. We level so there is no skew in the trailer for the slides to go out or in without possibly binding.

We only use water and electricity for most overnights.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

When I travel on longer trips where it will take several days to get to my destination I usually stop for the night at a truck stop. I just stop leaving the trailer hitched and get in the trailer for the night. I never unhitch, hookup anything or even unplug the cord to the truck. I never lower the jacks. I just park next to the semi's and get some sleep. My rig is ready to go when I get up in the morning. Sometimes I may put my slides out to make dinner but I always move them back in for the night.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We can leave the truck hooked up to the trailer up to three days before the air bags lose air and drop. Unless we have dumped the air to get the trailer level. Have dropped the air in the hitch sometimes too get the trailer level. So far haven't had any problems.

Sometimes I remember to unhook the cord from the truck, other times not. Haven't had any problem when I haven't either.

Sometimes I remember to unhook the cord from the truck, other times not. Haven't had any problem when I haven't either.

Actually, if you're on shore power, the trailer will keep the truck's battery charged.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Bags shouldn't leak down. We're in the:"Set the parking brake and don't touch anything" camp. Try to find a place with enough room for the slides (need them out to use the galley) but can nap if they are in. Most rest areas/truck stops are level enough. And, for one night a little tilt won't hurt me. (Or the fridge).

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I have left hooked and unhooked over the years with different 5er's and tow vehicles. With the HDT if the 5er is not level enough to sleep comfortably I will disconnect the 5er from HDT and pull forward just enough so the pin and box clears the hitch not even disconnect umbilical. I don't want to take the chance of the HDT hanging from pin should I lose air. Now normally I won't lose air in hitch or HDT air springs but things happen. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Archived