Volvo I-Shift Premium Shifter Upgrade

bmzero

By putting shifter into manual and selecting the gear?

Yes, or by using the kickdown feature in some cases to maintain the lower gear. Once it drops the gear you can back off the throttle quite a bit and still maintain that gear.

In most cases, though, I simply let the truck "do its thing" and it is spot on.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My trans is very smart. BUT, it (and your Freedomlines, Ultras and Autoshifts), cannot see the road ahead. I can. So I can keep the truck from upshifting on a flat in a long hill climb when I KNOW the road is going to climb again just ahead.

I think the Eurpoean Mercedes-Benz trucks have topological information loaded into their GPS databases, and the cruise control reacts to that data. When nearing the crest of an uphill with a downhill to follow, cruise is allowed to dip below the requested speed by 3-5mph knowing that it'll gain it back on the downhill. Likewise, cruise eases up on the engine break when nearing the bottom of a downhill that precedes an uphill. Unfortunately, this seemed to be a Europe-specific feature (probably due to a lack of suitable data in other countries' GPS databases).

The US trucks - some of them -also have road gradient data. It is just not used. Currently. Scrap may wish to comment on that (or not :) ).

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

My truck does that very well. Unfortunately, it does it when I don't want it to. There is a particular spot going into my neighborhood with a short, steep down hill followed by a steep, longer up hill. The I-Shift shifts up twice on that short down hill and of course is very surprised by the following up hill grade. I agree that this is a one-off circumstance and I have learned to compensate for this by dropping down into manual mode prior to going down the short hill, but I did want to share it as an illustration of how the I-Shift cannot see what's ahead. I have had similar problems pulling onto the interstate from a downhill on-ramp that turns to up hill before merging into traffic. If it was a manual truck, I would have maintained a higher RPM before merging knowing that I was going to be going up hill soon.

That describes my issue exactly. Going down hill it upshifts then after rolling around a corner which turns into uphill, it doesn't shift down. The whole truck shudders.

That describes my issue exactly. Going down hill it upshifts then after rolling around a corner which turns into uphill, it doesn't shift down. The whole truck shudders.

That's when I would like to be able to force a downshift by pushing a button, just like the paddles on the Smart car.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

That's when I would like to be able to force a downshift by pushing a button, just like the paddles on the Smart car.

No problem with the IShift, as you know....just not as convenient. I LOVE the paddle-like-shifter on the FL stalk...bun nothing like that on any other truck.

Speaking of those smart paddles.....I specifically got a car with them. Used them for a month and then forgot about them. I only use manual on steep hills...like Pikes Peak :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

No problem with the IShift, as you know....just not as convenient.

Seeing that I have the basic shifter, I'm not sure that's an option for me. That's why I started this thread - to find a way to swap shifters or a way to manually force a downshift and prevent an upshift.

Based on everyone's comments, it looks like it's definitely possible to swap out my basic shifter to the premium shifter (programming required), so I'll pursue that some more with 1-800-52-VOLVO.

Looks like mine may be the Premium shifter so it could pull it into manual and bump up or down a gear with the buttons. The problem is as it currently stands, I can't depress the right thumb tip. So I have to reach up and around with my middle finger and that one is missing 1/2" off the tip.

Tendon re attachment work June 1st so we will see what happens 2-4 weeks after that. Time to take a couple of weeks and check out the Tractor pulls in Michigan and surrounding areas. Will check out big rig friendly location and look for pull thru's.

The new model shifter may be easier for me to get at the buttons so a switch may be in order.

• Is there a list or printout of desired settings for the '09 Ishift?
  • Can it be updated?
  • Can most Volvo dealers do it. With Gregg Shields having extensive dealings with the Calgary Volvo bunch, you would think they would have a handle on it but something(s) went wrong with my rig so I' don't really trust them.
  • Can some of these newer features be programmed in, like on Ricks? Hill hold etc.

In all honesty, some of these problems could be caused by my own lack of knowledge on how to operate this thing properly. I'm not a big joiner but would consider a rally if there was some instruction on proper truck operation. It was all of 15 minutes when the truck was picked up in Fargo.

The stuff is finally out now Jack. It is standard on T880 and T680 MX and imminent on Cummins 680's and 880's. It is pretty weird to plug a GPS antenna into your engine harness but I guess that is how things are these days. I've driven the RunSmart Daimler/Detroit one and it is pretty neat as well. Like anything else a guy on a route is going to be able to do better than a super smart truck, but if you are stuck going somewhere new all the time it becomes one of those things where you wonder how we ever got along without it after a couple of days.

It is kind of funny, just 5-10 years ago I used to manual bump gears enought that my knob would get sticky, then a few years ago the trucks started making their shift just as my hand had almost reached down to the button. Nowadays I'm not even thinking about shifting or changing engine speed yet, the truck all of a sudden starts to do its stuff, and sure enough a hill comes out from around the corner. Every year the trucks get a little smarter...

The US trucks - some of them -also have road gradient data. It is just not used. Currently. Scrap may wish to comment on that (or not :) ).

I told all of you im another thread that I'm waiting on my new company truck. Should have been here last month But that's normal.

I have been told motor and transmission are linked into the GPS system. And that when approaching a hill the truck will since it give me more power and choose the appropriate gears ahead of time. It will do the same on a downhill all while on cruise control.

Using the flip phone sure was easier...... now we have to use smart phones....the problem is, I am not smart enough!!!!!

These new trucks run on software, looking at the build sheet for the truck we are looking at, lists the following options:

1 trans. kick-down mode, yes, no.

2. trans perf mode, enabled w/auto to econ.

3. trans eco-roll provided

4. trans eco-roll disable provided

5. without gear down vehicle speed

6. without mass sensing torque limitation

7. no early upshift provided

Maybe some of the issues are caused by programing.

PS It might help all of us if we could find a full list with descriptions of these options and uses.

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Scrap - SWEET! The gradient info should really make for a smarter ride. I say "ride" because, heck, that is about all a driver is going to do. :) FINALLY they get the stuff out. I forgot to ask the Volvo guys about it as MATS. Never found YOU, either..... :)

The IShift manual describes most of the functions in the post above, by Bob. Maybe I should write up something on the more esoteric features.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a brand new, in the box, premium shifter on Ebay for $150.

Wow, that's a smoking deal. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one as well.

Have you had yours installed/programmed yet?

Wow, that's a smoking deal. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one as well. $700 at the Volvo dealer for a new one!

Have you had yours installed/programmed yet? I already had the premium shifter. So, no re-programming was necessary. It was a real pain trying to cross reference all of Volvo's part numbers to make sure that the Ebay shifter would work on my truck. It was just a plug (and pray that it would work) and play.

The shifter that came with my truck had been repaired (not too well) and one day it popped apart on me. I could not lower the shifter, with the top push button. While trying to repair it, I broke the ribbon wire for the UP DOWN shift buttons. I drove all the way to Hutch and back with it that way.

I carry the old one with me in my spare parts box.

• 3 months later...

If anyone has done the upgrade from basic shifter to premium, can you comment on the total cost? My dealer (NexTran) says they won't know until they purchase the software. I have been in twice to try to get a firm estimate. No luck.

Mine has the premium but may get changed to a newer version but won't know for 2-3 weeks. The current shifter has the up and down bump buttons on the inside of the handle. With the tendon surgery not successful there is a new shifter that a Volvo repair facility is bringing in for me to look at. If the rocker switch for bumping up or down can be worked by my thumb then they will install it. On the truck, not my thumb.

Nothing wrong with the original, problem is my rt thumb tip cannot be depressed.

So hang on to your horses if you can.

Mine has the premium but may get changed to a newer version but won't know for 2-3 weeks. The current shifter has the up and down bump buttons on the inside of the handle. With the tendon surgery not successful there is a new shifter that a Volvo repair facility is bringing in for me to look at. If the rocker switch for bumping up or down can be worked by my thumb then they will install it. On the truck, not my thumb.

Nothing wrong with the original, problem is my rt thumb tip cannot be depressed.

So hang on to your horses if you can.

ok. Thanks.

Isn't the newest one a panel mounted shifter that goes under the radio?

Not sure about that, lets just say a different model. The one coming in has a rocker or landing gear type switch only horizontal. The switch can be operated with by the first joint from the end of my thumb in case another attempt is not made to correct the issue.

Kevin will order it in If I give him the go ahead and I will. The switch will be flown in overnight. Kamloops Volvo are movers and shakers flying all their parts in. If I don't like the switch they will return it, no cost no issue.

The bugs are being worked out of the rig at the moment and I plan to leave the Island again next Thursday am or pm to get the discounted ferry rate.

Should know within a week or so of departure date.

part # 21937969

The best place for it is on the steering wheel in the form of paddle shifters, like only Freightliner does/did. Just my opinion. But FL got that one right.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The best place for it is on the steering wheel in the form of paddle shifters, like only Freightliner does/did. Just my opinion. But FL got that one right.

Hmmm...

That might be a fun project.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/shifters/paddlehtml/

paddle_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived