Volvo I-Shift Premium Shifter Upgrade

bmzero

No, I sent them the schematic but there is a small wire they needed to splice into that came off the back of Maxbrake controller on the engine side of the firewall just in that air manifold area. Evidently we need 2 ports to make this work, mine only has 1. The wire was similar size to telephone wire.

Maybe there is a different way??

Shifter is slick, bump switch is like the newer house rocker switches for lights. I can work it with the side of my thumb. The original ones I had difficulty in feeling them and couldn't apply enough pressure with the thumb tip.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the previous one is a Premium shifter. It works fine, you will need to get plugs for one or both ends. They had to switch plugs around on mine yesterday.

If you want it, no problem. I'm in Port Townsend WA a week Saturday for a 2 week build and can ship it to you from the US. A lot simpler than from Canada. No UPS nonsense. I forgot to ask the Volvo guys what it is worth used. My new one was over 800 with tax without installation.

I'm on the road today and Juniper beach has limited space for me and limited internet connections as well. Back in Victoria Late Sat night. I can check for messages on the phone.

Do you want pics?

I thought you were going to go with the paddle shifter.

R

I thought you were going to go with the paddle shifter.

Thanks, Roger. The paddles was information-only. I have too many projects going on already.

Are you going to the Rally? If so, that would be easier than shipping. I'm in no rush.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

The best place for it is on the steering wheel in the form of paddle shifters, like only Freightliner does/did. Just my opinion. But FL got that one right.

I will agree completely with that one Jack... Not only a great shifter location and easy to work, the Detroit/DT12 combo also puts the 3 stage Jake Brake on that stalk as well. A very well thought out design but some idiot at FL decided to eliminate the cup holders in the cab. The wife nixed FL for that reason...

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I forgot to ask the Volvo guys what it is worth used. My new one was over 800 with tax without installation.

In an earlier reply, Jim said he picked up a new one off of eBay for $150. That's the only price I have seen that didn't come from Volvo, but other that that, I don't have any idea what it's worth. I'm definitely interested, though. Thanks.

• 7 months later...

As an update on this, my iShift shifting woes have finally come to an end. After spending the last two days with the Volvo technician at the dealership, we have determined that there were a couple of parameters set incorrectly in the Bendix system. I have learned more about the workings of these trucks and the software used to program them in the last two days than I have in the last year.

During the initial programming after singling the truck or prior to me buying the truck, the trailer detection system was disabled. That was incorrect. It should not have been disabled. That was telling the truck that it couldn't check to see if there was a trailer connected. So, the safe thing for the truck to do was assume there was always a big heavy trailer connected, thus always starting in 1st and topping the RPM range before shifting. After re-enabling the trailer detection system, all is well. The truck shifts like a brand new truck and it's driving manners are greatly improved.

All of this goes back to making sure you choose a qualified shop to do the single. I did not do that. I thought I was going with a qualified shop, but in hindsight that was not the case. Gregg Shields (http://rvhaulers.ca/) has helped me several times during this process. If I had it to do over again, I would be significant time and money ahead to take it to him in the first place. This has definitely been an expensive lesson learned for me. These trucks are special, even above and beyond that of an official Volvo dealer. They should be modified by someone who has experience doing so.

All of this goes back to making sure you choose a qualified shop to do the single. I did not do that. I thought I was going with a qualified shop, but in hindsight that was not the case. Gregg Shields (http://rvhaulers.ca/) has helped me several times during this process. If I had it to do over again, I would be significant time and money ahead to take it to him in the first place. This has definitely been an expensive lesson learned for me. These trucks are special, even above and beyond that of an official Volvo dealer. They should be modified by someone who has experience doing so.

Yeah, sometimes a "bargain" or thinking you are saving money does not work out. Sometimes it does, though. The newer trucks can be pretty touchy about things. They have so many sensor inputs that you really can overlook something. And not that many have experience doing what we are doing, and doing it RIGHT. Doing it right comes with experience - like so many things. The above statements apply to ALL the newer trucks - not just Volvo.

That is why - as an example - on the beds I tell people that "sure, any welding shop can weld up a bed". BUT it won't typically have the refinement and features that a Herrin or Shields shop will produce. And it may, or may not, be cheaper in the end.

Another example is my truck. We did a LOT of things to my truck that most would say were "unnecessary". And, in fact, that was often the comment during the build cycle. And perhaps they are right. But the goal is a reliable truck - hopefully one that does not break down on the road, and that will serve it's RV Hauling task without fail for the lifetime of the "owner". So things that were KNOWN to be potential future issues were preemptively done up front. And I never fail to do replacement of parts that are "marginal, but OK to run". In the end, you pay now, or pay "big time" later. At least that is my experience.

Glad you are back to a well behaved trans.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A lot of truth in what you stated about shops. I have an ABS problem and this is with a shop Volvo recommended. But also, I have never found the "fix" anywhere but here on this forum. I will educate them next week. Would be interesting to see what Herrin charged for a simple bed like mine and singling.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived