Hewhoknowslittle front end repair

Hewhoknowslittle

Well, had the Volvo to another front end shop this week, got a 2nd opinion on what's going on.

First they found a bad or just loose drag link.

All spring bushings shot.

Caster way off.

Rear was out of align.

one front tire need balanced by 24oz.

Drove her home and took the long way with interstate and feels like they have found the fix, now need to make a long trip to make sure.

Total cost was about 1,600.00 dollars but less than new tires without the fix.

I will keep you all posted on my repairs.

Roger

The recalled drag link was a non-greasable TRW part, and covered 2001-2006 trucks, so that wouldn't apply here. For everyone else, if you have grease fittings, you've either already had the recalled part replaced, or didn't have it. The recall started in 2011, so if your truck hasn't seen a dealer since then, it might be worth at least a look at the drag link. It doesn't look like the VIN lookup tool on NHTSA's site covers heavy trucks, so it won't be of much use.

Looks like Phil is typing faster than I am (or got a head start)...

Carl, here are the recalls I found for your 2006

Most Recent Recalls For 2006 VOLVO VNL

2001-2006 VOLVO VNL STEERING:LINKAGES:LINK:DRAG:CONNECTION
Units affected: 63788 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2010-06-24 Summary: VOLVO TRUCKS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2006 VNL AND VNM TRUCKS MANUFACTURED WITH A TRW SEALED DRAG LINKS. CERTAIN FACTORS CAN EXIST, WHICH IF LEFT UNTREATED MAY RESULT IN A BALL SOCKET SEPARATION. more.gif

2001-2008 VOLVO VNL VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR

Units affected: 127764 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2009-05-21 Summary: VOLVO TRUCKS IS RECALLING 127,764 MY 2001-2008 VHD, VNL, VNM, AND MY 2005-2008 VT TRUCKS. A SEAL MAY FAIL ALLOWING WATER AND CONTAMINANTS TO SEEP INTO THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR. more.gif

2006-2009 VOLVO VNL SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
Units affected: 366 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2009-01-27 Summary: VOLVO TRUCKS IS RECALLING 366 MY 2006-2009 VNL TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH SUPER SINGLE TIRES, BENDIX BRAKE CAM TUBES, AND VOLVO AIR SUSPENSION. THE VIBRATION FREQUENCY FROM THE SUSPENSION WITH SUPER SINGLE TIRES MAY RESULT IN A FATIGUE CRACK OF THE MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR THE BRAKE CAM TUBE. more.gif

2003-2008 VOLVO VNL ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS
Units affected: 104845 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2007-12-14 Summary: ON CERTAIN HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS, THE CIRCUIT PROTECTION (I.E. AUTOMATIC CIRCUIT BREAKERS) USED TO PROTECT THE VEHICLE LIGHTING SYSTEM MAY NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION. more.gif

2003-2006 VOLVO VNL ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM
Units affected: 33102 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Report Date: 2006-01-26 Summary: ON CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH D12D ENGINES, THE EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) COOLER INLET PIPES OR THE PIPES THAT CONNECT THE EGR VALVES TO THE COOLER MAY CRACK OR BREAK. more.gif

2003-2006 VOLVO VNL WHEELS
Units affected: 1376 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Report Date: 2005-11-02 Summary: CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH FRONT STEER AXLE AIR SUSPENSION MAY DEVELOP A FRONT WHEEL WOBBLE WHEN THE TIRES BECOME WORN. more.gif

2004-2006 VOLVO VNL EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELS
Units affected: 958 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Report Date: 2005-08-01 Summary: CERTAIN HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 120, "TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES OTHER THAN PASSENGER CARS." THE TIRE SIZE DESIGNATION ON THE CERTIFICATION LABEL IS NOT SHOWN. more.gif

Wow. Parts made with "permanent" lubrication failing in service. I put myself thru technical school replacing ball joints on early to late 60's Ford Falcons and Mustangs with no grease fittings that failed in less than 25,000 miles. Did hundreds of them with the alignment made great money

And TRW made some of them. Don't these guys ever learn?

Jeff, .......right after you replaced the life-lubed ball joints the folks stopped by our shop and we popped in new zerk-fitted u-joints to replace the "no-lube-life-time joints ".......imagine a driveline running 2,000 to 3,000 all day long ..........never getting lubed......your right, they never learn.

"Grumps"always said "clean grease and fresh oil is the best value in trucking"!

It's probably the money guys that control the lubed for life components content, not the engineers. If the parts supplier says that the part life under lab conditions will last the length of the warranty the cheap less expensive parts get installed at the factory. The repair service parts are manufactured to the suppliers engineer recommended specs with the grease fittings since they are usually parts that are common with other vehicles and machines.

Archived