The Class-less Class

Sandie & Jim

Lee you need to forget the Cranberry Juice and go straight for the Baaaaaaaaad Whiskey. Steve has a good supply and can get it to you real quick. It's the stuff he was supposed to use to help hide the Ice Cream Machine.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the Chevy GMC dealer to thank him for helping me yesterday. I had talked to the Ford place earlier and they wouldn't even talk to me. We talked trucks that might Interest me and I kind of liked a 3/4 Ton GMC he had but he didn't have one with an 8 ft box. He said there is one in southern IN that he could get in not more than a day and one night. I'm undecided whether to get the gasser or deisel. The deisel would give me a little better fuel mileage but that's a wash with the higher price for fuel. The towing capacity is a little better and that interested me. But it isn't that much better. It only has a 33 gal fuel tank. So does the gasser. The gasser would need a midday fuel stop where the deisel just might last all day. Price wise there is about $7500 difference. I hate decisions. Oh well, I have until at least Monday or Tuesday to make up my mind. Maybe I need a Cowgirl to make it up for me. Isn't that what they do? The chevy guy said that as soon as I lock in the deal they will find something I can drive and a locked room I can store my stuff in until they can get the truck ready. That will save $92 a day for car rental and insurance.

Edited by IYQ

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

I went to the Chevy GMC dealer to thank him for helping me yesterday. I had talked to the Ford place earlier and they wouldn't even talk to me. We talked trucks that might Interest me and I kind of liked a 3/4 Ton GMC he had but he didn't have one with an 8 ft box. He said there is one in southern IN that he could get in not more than a day and one night. I'm undecided whether to get the gasser or deisel. The deisel would give me a little better fuel mileage but that's a wash with the higher price for fuel. The towing capacity is a little better and that interested me. But it isn't that much better. It only has a 33 gal fuel tank. So does the gasser. The gasser would need a midday fuel stop where the deisel just might last all day. Price wise there is about $7500 difference. I hate decisions. Oh well, I have until at least Monday or Tuesday to make up my mind. Maybe I need a Cowgirl to make it up for me. Isn't that what they do? The chevy guy said that as soon as I lock in the deal they will find something I can drive and a locked room I can store my stuff in until they can get the truck ready. That will save $92 a day for car rental and insurance.

Lee - Jim said to tell you that you need to go with the diesel. We've had both and the diesel tows much better. If it's a GMC it's an Allison transmission which is the best out there. The mileage is enough better that it offsets the cost of fuel. We are getting 4 to 5 miles per gallon better towing with the diesel than we did with the gas. He's never go back to a gas.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

Lee - Jim said to tell you that you need to go with the diesel. We've had both and the diesel tows much better. If it's a GMC it's an Allison transmission which is the best out there. The mileage is enough better that it offsets the cost of fuel. We are getting 4 to 5 miles per gallon better towing with the diesel than we did with the gas. He's never go back to a gas.

See I told you I needed a Cowgirl to make up my mind for me. Thanks Sandie. Yes I'm leaning toward the Deisel. It also has a much higher GCWR and Max trailer weight rating than their largest gasser which is a little low for all the junk I carry around.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

I would recommend the diesel too. I think the increased cooling system, the Allison transmission, and the better fuel mileage makes sense for someone that tows all the time. What kind of exhaust brake or retarder system does the GMC have on it. That can make quite a difference too in those mountains of North Carolina. Good luck In your search. Steve

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Ditto, what Sandie & Steve said! The mileage, stability & Allison are three BIG plusses of the Diesel... you should get over 350 miles on a load of fuel! (We consistently got 12-15mpg towing, 22-25mpg when single...back in my 3/4 ton, 10k trailer days.

-Don

p.s. Your ins should provide "emergency expense" for a down-vehicle when it's down for a valid claim! (We recently went thru renewal exercise, Blue Sky had coverage if down even for mechanical breakdown, as well as covered claim.)

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

Hey All, here is something for all you retired Military and Retired DOD to think about. NAS Whidbey Island has updated their RV Park. So I decided to spend a few days out here checking it out. It's amazing what a few million tax payers dollars can do. :lol: Full hook ups with 50 amp service. Showers, Laundry, Picnic Pavilions, and a killer view.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

I would recommend the diesel too. I think the increased cooling system, the Allison transmission, and the better fuel mileage makes sense for someone that tows all the time. What kind of exhaust brake or retarder system does the GMC have on it. That can make quite a difference too in those mountains of North Carolina. Good luck In your search. Steve

I've pretty much decided to get the Diesel, you can get either standard engine breaking or Exhaust breaking. I'm used to the mountains and have no trouble with standard engine breaking which on the ford automatically down shifted if I started to pick up speed. I usually manually go to a lower gear on steep grades anyway. That's just the way I learned to drive. They put those shifters on there to give you something to play with and make you think you're an 18 wheeler driver. The automatic deal take all the fun out of it. LOL They advertise a 680 mile range for the 6.6 duramax with long bed and crew cab. of course that is truck only not pulling. If I can get 400 miles a fill out of it I'll be happy pulling the trailer. I hate having to stop in the middle of the day for fuel. I always seem to find a station that is harder than heck to get a trailer to the pump and back out again. Some delivery truck will see me and run in and park right in front of me every time. I think it's the same guy just waiting for me. I'm trying to decide what accessories to get now, What a job. There are lots of nice toys available that I really don't need but boy are they nice. I need the long bed to be able to store my ladder. I'd probably come out ahead if I got rid of the latter and bought one of the tellascoping ladders I could carry in a 6 foot box but it's sure nice to know that I could get a full sheet of plywood in the box too. I've got to start all over on my storage organizer. That's why I'm going with a hard foldable tonneau instead of a shell. My ARE shell wouldn't fit the GMC anyway and wouldn't match if it did fit. besides I'd have to take the tail gate off and toss it if I used my shell. There goes another 3500 bucks down the drain. If I had time I could probably sell it but I don't and have no place to put it if I did take it off the truck. With the tonneau and a locking tail gate I can store my little 3 step folding stool just inside the tailgait so I can us it to reach stuff over the sides of the box. If you can think of anything else I should get it equiped with let me know soon, If that adjuster declares it totaled I'll order the new truck Tuesday. so I can turn this $92 a day van in. They said they would find a loaner and a place to store my stuff until they got the truck in and ready. back to reading brocheres, bye.

Lee, one thing that I got on my truck that I sure like is "heated seats". Not that we are in cold weather all that much, but when my old back gets hurting, I can turn on the heat, and that feels pretty good. Sometimes we are driving down the road with the A/C and heated seats both on! B)

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Jim says - how about a built in back up camera? He also said to rethink that exhaust brake - they really do a great job. We added one to our truck because it didn't come with one. And he learned to drive the same way you did but still is glad to have the brake. Trailering mirrors - the kind that slide out are wonderful. I really like them because they are so easy to pull out or push in.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

Lee,

Sorry to hear about your accident - grateful you are not hurt.

We have loved our Chevy truck - which has the heated seats - would never be without it again!!! Plus the exhaust brake is worth the $$$.

We are actally thinking about a new truck too - but not because of an accident - Mike is really wanting 4x4 and the Alison is now a 6 speed.

Glyn - Stop using those 4 letter words - have a safe trip to Wy. !!

We are headed to Omaha for a Granddaughter fix - then ????

Julie

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination,

There is no better time to be happy than... NOW

I went to the place I was dealing with for the GMC to give them the new specs for my new truck which was The GMC 2500 Sierra HD SLT. 4x4 crew cab with long box. I was handed off to the sales manager. he didn't look like he did much looking and gave me a price of $62,000.00 this was a raise of 20,000 over the price I got for basically the same truck but with the 6.2 V-8 gas engine. I didn't say much but I was thinking some words worse than Sn__, Win_,Col_ and Ic_y (no that isn't miss spelled it icky)(BUT you know what I was thinking,) and a few more four letter jobs. When I got back home I called another dealer and the salesman found a truck that was very nearly the same but it only had a standard 6.5' box and was Red instead of Silver. It has the Duramax 6.6L Diesel and Allison Transmission. And I under stand all the GMC diesels have exhaust breaking. He gave me a price of $47,911. and promised to come and get me and provide a loaner while waiting for the truck. However he did not have a place for me to store my stuff. The standard box would not hold my ladder but I'll give that away and buy one of the telliscoping ladders when I get to NC. Anything else that don't fit I'll either saw or bite off. Neither place had a hard folding Tonneau but I can go to Wal-mart and get plastic boxes to keep things dry with until I get home. Most of the things back there wouldn't be hurt if they got rained on anyway. They wouldn't be secure but I'm not likely to be leaving it anywhere where they might get borrowed. I got a box that I made to keep the generator out of sight and I can wrap the air compressor in a canvas. the back seat of the crew cab is large enough to store a lot of the larger stuff in. I'll put a canvas on the floor and pad the doors and backs of the seats with towels and sweat shirts. I'm going in to town tomorrow and see if the place is open and get the route all figured out. If they are open I'll try to get a printout of the vehicle so I can check to make sure every thing is listed. I'll have to either turn my rental in or pay a few more days on it Monday before I can get to the GMC place. I've found that mini storage locker are as scarce as hens teeth around here. I found a couple listed over in the town where I was dealing for the 1st vehicle. So that will call for another trip over there and a few hours of unloading the rental van I have now. Does anyone want an extension ladder. I've got one Cheap. Come and get it. I'll probably just give it to the man that owns this RV park if he has any use for it. If he don't his maintenance man I'm sure would take it and maybe sell it for a few extra bucks. Now if I'm not handed off to some slimmy Sales manager I'll buy the Red Truck. Maybe the next idiot that is headed on a crash course toward me can see it better. And so the Saga goes..............

Lee didn't the other guy have insurance? I would think his insurance would cover the cost of the rent van. He inconvenienced you he should pay the bill. Good luck.

Jeff

JEFF:

Yes he did have insurance but the last time I went after the other guys insurane it took me 6 weeks to settle the claim amd I ended up having to hire a lawyer. I just don't have the time now to fuss with that.

We finally moved into Oklahoma. We are settled in at the Foss Lake State Park. All we see is lake out the front and passenger side windows. May call this home until we have to head into Oklahoma City to get our new jack.

Green grass and tree's!!

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Update, Info and comments... hello, friends! Some of you already know but for those who do not, we have created a blog! At the urging of some of you Q-folks, we finally pulled it together... sort of... I'm still learning. Anyway, you can find us at www.tdhomestead.blogspot.com

Lee - hope your truck situation is working out well! Tom says to tell you that the last new truck he purchased was a red GMC, so he approves and thinks it a good choice :)

Tina & Jeff - hope your daughter's wedding was a great family celebration!

Julie & Mike - hope the repair to your eyes has completely healed, Mike, and that your knee physical therapy has helped, Julie!

Everyone else... travel safely and enjoy this wonderful summer weather! Hugs, Dianne & Tom

Tom & Dianne Wartman
Class of 2012, and happy members of the Classless Class
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire MH
2005 Chevy Trailblazer

www.tdhomestead.blogspot.com

I had a post just about all typed and this browser ate it. I froze the touch pad this time so that accidental touches on it don't move that cursor to some button that will eat my post.

Chapter 2:

The insurance appraiser/adjuster called today and said he had to move the truck to a repair facility in order to get it appraised. He ask me to call the tow people and request they release the truck to the repair place. Aaarrrrggghh, More delay.

I also went to a different car dealer and told them what I wanted, They found a GMC Danali with every thing I had requested at the other place and quoted it for $8,300. less Trouble was it was black and I hate black trucks. They show every spec of dust in the dessert and every tiny dent that wal mart parking lots can produce. So he went back to the computer and came up with a Chevy Silverado XLT that had everything plus a lot more and a White exterior and Cashmere leather interior. I'm not that found of white either but it's one heck of a lot better than Black. It was a thousand more but still $7300 lower than that first GMC from the other dealer that was trying to stiff me. Beside the Duramax 6.6L deisel and allison transmittion with exhaust breaking and all the heavy duty trailer stuff it had Heated and cooled seats, an indash Navigation system with a very large screen which also dispays the back up cameras. It also has the Ultrasound backup assist, You know the beep beep beep thing. power folding mirrors and a list of other toys and goodies as long as my arm, In comparing the Chevy and the Gimmy I couldn't see any difference except in the grill and the Gimmy does have a little better warrenty and maintenance program. All the package list were about the same. The dash in identical right down to the trailer brake controler and electronic transfer case for the 4WD. The back seat was the same except the chevy with the XLT package had a few extra goodies back there. They both have the same specs as far as weight rating, horse power and Torque. Max trailer towing is the same. GCWR, GVWR, GAWR are identical. If they decide to fix my truck instead of declare it totaled I think I try to get ride of it here and buy this Chevy anyway. And so the saga goes.

Edited by IYQ

Sounds like you are finally getting a better deal. That white one sounds like a nice ride. You can set your case of cranberry juice on the passenger seat and cool it before you get where you're going. Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

You can set your case of cranberry juice on the passenger seat and cool it before you get where you're going. Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! Be sure to buckle it in. And don't open any before reaching your destination.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The wedding went without a problem. There was a small chance for rain and it sprinkled about a half hour before it stared. Took the tux back yesterday and the other rental stuff today. Tina updated our blog with pictures. Time to relax.

Summer like weather this week. Suppose to be in the 80's. The mountains are very pretty with the white tops here. Its funny how you can live here so long that you take that view for granted. Be Safe.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Lee, I'm always impressed with what I learn from your posts but that's why you have a P.H.D. in full timing! This forum is great...even though we can't be there to help, you can rely on all to offer ideas and moral support.

Jeff and Tina, we're glad to hear that your daughter got hitched without a hitch...(not sure that phrase makes sense)!

Gonna try and figure out today how to access and organize all of these great blogs that some of you guys are putting out. Dianne, any help with that? I need to add an icon on my browser if possible?

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

Lee, I'm always impressed with what I learn from your posts but that's why you have a P.H.D. in full timing! This forum is great...even though we can't be there to help, you can rely on all to offer ideas and moral support.

Jeff and Tina, we're glad to hear that your daughter got hitched without a hitch...(not sure that phrase makes sense)!

Gonna try and figure out today how to access and organize all of these great blogs that some of you guys are putting out. Dianne, any help with that? I need to add an icon on my browser if possible?

Roger

Roger - You can go to your home page on Blogger itself. There is a reading list there. You just select the add and put in the blogs you want to follow. When a new blog is written, it'll pop up in your reading list. Easy.

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

http://blog.willywagon.net

Roger - You can go to your home page on Blogger itself. There is a reading list there. You just select the add and put in the blogs you want to follow. When a new blog is written, it'll pop up in your reading list. Easy.

I keep forgetting to open Blogger and check for new posts. Between checking Facebook, SKP forums, emails and cell texts this social media thing can keep ya hopping...good and bad of it I guess. Was also hoping for perhaps a way to receive an email notification that a new blog post has been made...kinda like this forum?

Thanks for the tip Jeri...gotta go look at your blog! :D

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)