USPS-Surprise,AZ-new Gotcha

SWharton

After checking with the Surprise USPS we had our mail forwarded to General Delivery. We received confirmation that our package had arrived so went to pick it up. Then the fun started. First question was did I fill out the form to request General Delivery. Of course my answer was no. Surprise will only accept General Delivery if form is filled out.  Did I have a tracking number? While we were looking for the tracking number I asked what happened to the mail if I didn't have a form filled out. I was told the mail would be returned to sender. Once she had a tracking number she found my mail.

Wow, this was a big shock to me. We have encountered several Post Offices that will not accept General Delivery for Fedex and UPS. But not accepting General Delivery from themselves doesn't seem right.

I am going to forward this info to our mail service as an FYI.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Send an inquiry to USPS asking for an investigation, and indicate you are sending copy of inquiry to your Congressional representative.  Congressional offices love to do things for constituents.

Edited by Barbaraok
IPad self correcting!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I've had one instance where the tiny Post Office in Medina, Texas required me to fill out a form requesting General Delivery, and questioned me closely regarding how long I'd be in the area, how many parcels I intended to receive, etc. When I asked the reason for the questions I was told that I'd be required to rent a PO Box after a certain amount of time/number of parcels. 

Long story short, this particular Postmaster was a known "hard case" and once she was gone the questions stopped as did the requirement to fill out the form.  It appears that individual PO's can impose requirements based on the wishes of their management. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

For the past 3 years I've filled out the form for General Delivery at the Post Office I use in Eastern Washington.  They also ask for ID when signed and when I pick up USPS mail.  The form is good for 30 days.   FedEx and UPS deliver to my camp site.   Figured it was SOP and wasn't offended.

The problem I see is that many of us use General Delivery on the road and will have our mail sent to a USPS facility where we will be in a week or two. General Delivery is suppose to be held for 30 days and we depend on that. If our mail is received and refused, then sent back to Livingston we are up a creek. Defeats the purpose of General Delivery.

We always avoided big city post offices like Surprise/Sun City area which are really busy.  We always picked a smaller post office and didn't have issues.  For Surprise we would have picked Buckeye or waited until our next move.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I wonder if there's differences in the General Delivery service at direct US Postal Service facilities and Contract Postal Units operated by private businesses. I have no idea how much autonomy the CPU's have with features like that...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We generally try to use small town USPS but have had problems in Deming and Lordsburg with General Delivery from UPS and Fedex.

We are going to be in Surprise for a month and since I checked with them I thought all was good.

We have a CPU on site and the paperwork says to use Surprise USPS for General Delivery.

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

Yes, each post office is its little fiefdom. When I queried about General Delivery from Fedex or UPS, several have said no problem at all as long as it says General Delivery. Others outright refuse the package and send it back. 

Are you expecting to have UPS and FedEX  deliver to General Delivery USPS?

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

2 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Not in this case but a majority of USPS that we have used accept anything addressed to General Delivery an actually have asked us why we asked if they accept General Delivery from US and Fedex.

I know of a post office that will accept FedEX and USPS, and I dont understand why they do it as the USPS gets no income from these parcels unless they are "last mile" deliveries.

Well, this got turned around. I filled out the form on the USPS website about the Surprise USPS. Guess who called me this morning? The Surprise USPS!!! The person claimed that this form is "normal" procedure and if on the road to call the USPS facility and they will fill it out on the phone I pointed out in 40 years of RVing and using the USPS I had never heard of this before.  He had no answer.

While having a person on the line I asked about the UPS and FEDEX General Delivery. As long as I have the form filled out, no problem. I think I will test that out for a small Amazon order.

I just had a response from the Escapees Mail Service. Apparently, they are aware of this newish procedure. Here is the response:

Yes, USPS started doing that several years ago. Most of them will not accept General Delivery mail without filling out a form to do so. It is always best to check with that particular post office first before scheduling your mail.

9 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I just had a response from the Escapees Mail Service. Apparently, they are aware of this newish procedure. Here is the response:

Yes, USPS started doing that several years ago. Most of them will not accept General Delivery mail without filling out a form to do so. It is always best to check with that particular post office first before scheduling your mail.

Would be damn nice if they told everyone about this!  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I agree but I think it a pick and choose by USPS location, like many things with USPS. This is the first time I have encountered this and  no one else seems to know about it.

Just another question to ask when you call up a USPS to check on General Delivery. Sigh...........

18 hours ago, SWharton said:

After checking with the Surprise USPS we had our mail forwarded to General Delivery. We received confirmation that our package had arrived so went to pick it up. Then the fun started. First question was did I fill out the form to request General Delivery. Of course my answer was no. Surprise will only accept General Delivery if form is filled out.  Did I have a tracking number? While we were looking for the tracking number I asked what happened to the mail if I didn't have a form filled out. I was told the mail would be returned to sender. Once she had a tracking number she found my mail.

Wow, this was a big shock to me. We have encountered several Post Offices that will not accept General Delivery for Fedex and UPS. But not accepting General Delivery from themselves doesn't seem right.

I am going to forward this info to our mail service as an FYI.

I discovered the same problem at the Matagorda post office in Texas (a small PO), luckily, before I had something delivered.  I called to ask it they did general delivery, and the post master (well, mistress) said I would have to come in and fill out a form.  I explained that I only wanted one letter delivered, and that I was only going to be in the area for a day or two in a week, but she said it didn't matter, filling out the form was the only way they would accept a delivery.

I had the letter sent general delivery at the near by Bay City post office without problems.

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I don’t call.  I go to the USPS web site and type in General Delivery, XYZ town and ask for zip code and location.  The website tells me if they accept General Delivery,  and the location of that post office.  I think it is time for a Escapees to send a letter to our Congressional delegation asking why their constituents are being hassled by Post Offices across the country.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I did all that(see previous note). The Consumer Complaint just gets forwarded to the Surprise PO. One big circle.................

I would think that would be reasonable to ask the post office in question first about the issue, and if you get no satisfaction, then move the complaint up the chain.  In regards to the having to sign up for General Delivery, I would ask the Postmaster if the is USPS policy or local policy, and if USPS policy, ask them to site the Domestic Mail Manual or the Postal Operations Manual.

A few years ago I spent the winter at the Escapees Co-Op in Benson AZ. As directed by the office at the Co-Op I went to the local Post Office to set up General Delivery. The P.O. advised me that they would only accept General Delivery for a maximum of 30 days and I would have to pay for a P.O.Box. The Co- Op knowing that it was the Escapees in TX forwarding my mail gave me a free postal box in the Park and TX addressed my mail to my space #. A thumbs up to the Co-Op. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

My 2 cents - the web page is NOT always correct.  I start there to see which ones are listed as allowing General Delivery.  But I still call to check, having found some listed as allowing this,that really do not. I always tell them I am trying to set up a one time mail drop for when I pass thru.

I have found that the 30 days they will hold it is not universal either. Some it is 15 days.