Roadcheck 2019, June 4-6

NeverEasy

Don't know how this works but we may fall into the mix if it is just a roadside pull-over. 

International Roadcheck is a 72-hour inspection blitz on commercial motor vehicles. Inspectors all across North America perform tens of thousands of roadside inspections and place a significant number of trucks and drivers out of service.

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/inspection-blitz-alert-roadcheck-2019-announced/

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

A couple of years ago I drove up to a roadside check.  Tried driving by with the other traffic but the guy with the flag waved for me to pull over.  I was pulling my camper & had "Private RV" on the truck.  When I got up to him he decided to wave me through.  I won't start any arguments about why that particular time I was waved through I can only assume it was because if we are properly licensed, we are not prone to these inspections.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Hi Everyone,

This would be a good time to have your binder or 3 ring notebook together for your truck and trailer info. Which would include your state info about making your truck an rv, your insurance cards and registrations. This way if you get stopped you have your info handy.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Roadcheck is a propaganda device. You really arent any more likely to get stopped during it than any other day. For 72 hours they simply group up so they "look" busy and are more visible .....doing the same thing that they do every day, just all together (well they do TELL everyone so the drivers get all worried). My CVE unit does absolutely nothing different, other than turn in an extra set of stats for that 72hrs.

EDIT: and if all of us are prepared to get stopped then, doing like Alan suggested and some other things, it is a non issue since none of us (except for a few that want to pretend they are really RVers when they know better) are subject to the Federal regulations being enforced during Roadcheck (or any other time, for that matter). 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I don't even worry about it. They can inspect me any time they want. I not going to say they wont find anything wrong. They ALWAYS find something wrong. I am 100% sure that there are not shut down violations on my daily driver or my HDT.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:31 AM, jenandjon said:

I don't even worry about it. They can inspect me any time they want. I not going to say they wont find anything wrong. They ALWAYS find something wrong. I am 100% sure that there are not shut down violations on my daily driver or my HDT.

I have been shut down. New Truck had 3100 miles on it. Now I was commercial, but learned what I had heard all the time. Even a new truck, can and will be put out of service. IF they want to find anything wrong.

Also In Tn I40 Brownsville Tn scales. They work overtime during there 72 hour inspection. Still think somone offered the winner of the most tickets. A case of Drinks and dozen Donuts. They work harder that time then the rest of the year. And they stay busy year around there.

event.png

I guess I should have said I'm 99% sure. They got me in Evanston Wyoming once. Same deal as you. First trip with a brand new truck. I knew it was leaking. I was just going to get it home to get it fixed. You didn't happen to be driving a Freightliner did you? I drove an 02 columbia brand new. It had so many problems. I swore Id never even look at another one. What do i do? My HDT is an 03 Columbia.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

18 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

I have been shut down. New Truck had 3100 miles on it. Now I was commercial, but learned what I had heard all the time. Even a new truck, can and will be put out of service. IF they want to find anything wrong

Pete, there are only a few things that are OOS violations. Most of them are hazardous safety violations (brakes, air leaks, tires, rear lights,etc). Finding violations on a new truck is easy, finding OOS violations is a whole other thing. May I ask what they put you OOS for?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

6 hours ago, Big5er said:

Pete, there are only a few things that are OOS violations. Most of them are hazardous safety violations (brakes, air leaks, tires, rear lights,etc). Finding violations on a new truck is easy, finding OOS violations is a whole other thing. May I ask what they put you OOS for?

It was the scales in Ca outside of San Francisco. Guy claimed the tie-rod was bad. Sat there 12 hours, until the guy showed up with a new one. Put it on and was going to take the other one with him. I would not allow him to leave with it.

Turned out the Guy that put me out of service. And the Service guy had the same last name. 🤬 Company and Freightliner last I heard of were taking both to court. As the part he took off was good. But that was in 1995, never did hear how it turned out.

We were running team. 7000+ miles per week. And got a new truck ever 90 days. Company rotated us like that . To keep from running the miles up on a single truck.

Also these were lease Trucks from Penske. So figure the guy at the scales and guessing his kin. Were in trouble.

event.png

Archived