Anyone here have a slushbox in their truck?

CrazyCooter

I know there has been talk of trucks for sale with slushbox automatic transmissions, but could not remember seeing anyone who actually had one.

I may be acquiring at a very fair price, a 1999 motorhome with what the owner says has C12 and Allison 4000 transmission. Has low miles, but the body has been leaking for some time and is trashed. Thinking it could make a good donor for our Pete since we just passed 700K last year. I'm assuming most of the MDT/HDT running gear is universal, so wiring harnesses and computers should be able to swap right along with the components.

How will it pull when compared to my 13spd? Seems like in the 5/6 speed auto pickups the auto's pull better because the converter unlocks and puts the engine in it's sweet spot effectively splitting a gear. I was also thinking might pick up more retard due to the auto which would be welcomed. The top gear is a tad taller than our 13spd, but 5th is right where we're geared now and it works pretty nice up to 65 mph.

Anyone who can share info would be great!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Had the 3000 in my International 4400 and hated it!  It only had 275 HP so I could never find a good gear on a hill.  With the C12 it might work out better for you.  Can't say I am real fond of the 300 behind (or should I say in front) of the ISL I have now either but lots better than the old 4400.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

In order to do a comparison, you'd have to know the rear-end ratio from the motorhome, as well as the tire size. Then the same info from your present truck running gear can be compared, to give you an idea what RPMs it will run, effective braking of the engine, etc. Typically, an Allison wouldn't be spec'd for a highway truck. Much more common for in-town use.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I honestly don't know what the hp is currently on my truck. It was factory rated at 435/1650, but the tuner has done some work and I installed a fuel wire mod....also slightly larger turbo. The motorhome might have the 505hp tune.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

No experience with them, reading a bit shows the 4000 is rated for 1950 Ft Lb and 650 HP that comes at a staggering weight of 850 pounds.     6 speed double overdrive, could be doggy depending on low gear ratio?        Everything but the physical size and weight sound good, don't think it would be as economical fuel wise as a 13 speed.

The 505 HP C12 is a runner, it is also light weight so the trans is not such a big hit.   

Steve     

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Weight wise it's not much heavier than the 13spd depending on whether or not it includes the converter. Pretty sure the 13spd's 714lb spec doesn't include the clutch and flywheel.

I'm running 3.31 gears that I swapped in to better suit our lighter weight.....By my calculations, I'd want to swap my 3.90s back in for a nice 1350 rpm @ 65mph in top gear.

Guess we'll see how this deal goes. Not excited about having to dispose of the rest of the body though......

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Back in my slave days I had a small fleet of cranes, trucks, tractors, etc with 3000 and 4000 series tranny's and had very good service from the units. 

We have a 3126 B/E 330 / 350 itty-bitty Kitty in Dollymama motorhome and the 3060 works VERY well EXCEPT I can make the PAC Brake do bad things that the ECM and the Tranny computer can not keep up with..... . Dollymama does not abuse the PAC Brake and it works flawlessly for her.... 

All in all considering the itty-bitty Kitty engine and our 10k horse / car trailer combo tow load the coach does VERY well returning +10 mpg and pulls 90 percent of the grades at +60 MPH.... 

Most Allison rigs tend to have low rear gearing so the 5th and 6th double overdrive's are well utilized......you do need to keep the driveline tight and in good balance because at +60 it is spinning pretty much hypersonic....

Go for it......the time spent will keep you out of the sleazy bars....

Drive on......(boy oh boy can I make the PAC Brake.....crazy)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Take a look at alignments of the fan, accessory drives, intake and exhaust systems to see what swaps over to where for the truck installation.

Also look at the cooler for the trans on the MH to see if it can swap to the truck

Great project. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Not to hi-jack, but...

Hey Noteven, where ya been? You haven't been on the forum for a while.  

I half expected to see ya in Texas.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 2/23/2019 at 5:19 AM, noteven said:

Take a look at alignments of the fan, accessory drives, intake and exhaust systems to see what swaps over to where for the truck installation.

Also look at the cooler for the trans on the MH to see if it can swap to the truck

Great project. 

Yes, all of those are sure to different especially if the fans are located on the side driven by hydraulics. 

I guess we'll see if its compatible components and see if I'm able to acquire. I'm not really looking forward to another project, but it sure would be nice to have a low mileage powerplant and an auto........might even get my wench to share some driving duties.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

He's right about the cooler.  The truck ones are stupid expensive.  Its 120lbs of copper brass hanging under there, but required for a on-off fan.  Even the bracket and skid plate that hangs it is crazy $.  The water pipes are a low volume not cheap thing either.  They are bent different and there are four of them now.  I don't know how PB used to do it, but sometimes the radiator Xmember has to be changed out and sometimes you can just torch in the new hole.

WTEC III has the trans ECU dry in the cab so there is like 50 wires that need to go through the firewall and like 50 more that have to come through the cab floor.  There is the oil pressure sensor that needs to be added and I don't remember what speed sensor the old speedos used but it was only at Allison dealers and not truck dealers.  Same for the rear yoke and new dipstick tube too, it is only at Allison.  Drivelines have to have perfect angles (like 1.5deg tops) and you'll have to regear.  The bus/RV backwards driven carrier won't be compatible so can't use that.

Front engine mount will need to change so both of them will need to hang from the A-frame while that and the oil pan/pickup is getting transferred over.  Most everything else is nuts and bolts, including CAT exhaust studs - everybody's favorite.

Fun project but you were supposed to start this winter project in October!  You are going to have truck and motorhome parts strung out for miles..... 😏  Might as well steal the RV's front air suspension too while the truck is all apart........................😊☺️

Thanks for the info Scrap. I was hoping you would pop in here and share your knowledge.

It honestly sounds like more than I should take on with the expense of the specialty parts and time involved. I have the tools and facility needed to pull this off, but at this stage in my career I really hate turning a wrench on my own stuff.

Was hoping most of the parts would swap over,  bolt in, and the expense would be low. Might be best to just wait till we buy the next truck and get an auto. 

Swapping the air ride front had not crossed my mind yet and that surprises me! Guess I'm just not as sharp as I once was..... 

Swapping my 3.90s back in is just a 4 hour job since I kept them after I swapped 3.36s.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

On 2/23/2019 at 8:35 PM, rickeieio said:

Not to hi-jack, but...

Hey Noteven, where ya been? You haven't been on the forum for a while.  

I half expected to see ya in Texas.

Doin ok. 

AB in the snow.

AZ in the snow 😳

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived