In dash radio, for 98 VNL, replcement

OU812

I'm wanting to replace the in dash   AM/FM radio. (98 Volvo VNL)   Wanting a direct plug in, NO splicing, to install. Dose any one have a part number/ suplyer name, for a direct fit?   I have looked on the internet, but the plug in is in question.  My plug is a 13 pin.... six on each side and one off set in the middle.  Thank you for any help.  OU812

Check with a Volvo dealer, they might have one. We bought a Pioneer  unit with the wiring harness adapter at Freightliner when we bought our truck and we installed it for the 15 hour ride home. The cost was reasonable. 

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Hi  Dave    Been to two  Volvo dealers and others,  all they have is one fits all....splice it in.  Not willing to go that way unless that is all I can find.   Wrecking yards have about the same.     I got it on my wish list  ....   Now back to fixing oil leak on intermediate rear axel, pinion seal.....I hope  I don't have to pull the third member....   Merry Christmas..   Thank you  OU812

There is information on Volvo Radio replacement in the HHRV Resource Guide.  Where else?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I've been very happy with the one I purchased from Best Buy not long after I bought the truck 14 years ago.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

• 2 weeks later...

there are adapters that you choose the semi plug end and the radio mfg end.

i may still have the stereo that came out of my 1998 with the factory plugs still on it. be after christmas before i get to my storage unit to dig for you. just let me know if your interested.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

There are multiple "levels" of factory systems. all are wired differently. If you have the "base" system than you MUST splice it in. (it's a really odd set up) If you have the high end system than they used to make (20 years ago when I worked on a fleet of these things) an adapter for a pioneer.  Unless you are looking to return it to stock for some reason, you should go ahead and splice it in properly.

Make sure that whatever route you choose, the wires don't end up in the a/c controls. They will break the cable retainers if you force the sliders.

Splicing is not that hard to do, with basically just speakers and power involved. I would cut the plug off the old radio and use it to wire up the new one so I'm not cutting into the main harness in the dash. That's what I did to install my double din, 7" display, Sony media center. Jay

Archived