Verizon Unlimited Data Plan for Jetpacks

By the way.. it is now confirmed. This plan IS retiring on May 21, and existing customers will be grandfathered in.  Above article has been updated. 

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Earl Balentine said:

My Jetpack data plan was only $15 a month added to my existing cell phone plan. Bought the Jetpack on Amazon for $130 just a month ago.

How much data with that plan?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

26 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

How much data with that plan?

Almost assuredly any Verizon Jetpack associated with a postpaid phone plan will provide 15-20GB/mo of LTE data before a 600kbps cap is imposed.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

And how much unthrottled data...

We are on this plan. There have been months where we've used WAY more than 20GB (streaming HD video) and there has never been any throttling.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

2 hours ago, Technomadia said:

By the way.. it is now confirmed. This plan IS retiring on May 21, and existing customers will be grandfathered in.  Above article has been updated. 

Tx for the tip. Using your detailed info, I was able to wade thru Verizon's site and locate the soon-to-retire unlimited plan.

It's confusing because the Unlimited Plan does not appear until you press Shop now. Then you start by selecting the device you want.

In my case, I opted for a USB730L modem instead of a 900L Jetpack which were the only two options (besides BYOD):

vzunlimited1.jpg

After selecting a device, then you select a plan and the Unlimited Plan is now listed. Of course I selected the Unlimited data plan and was able to get it for $65/month with AutoPay:

vzunlimited2.jpg

Plan details (the fine print)

vzunlimited3.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

13 hours ago, Earl Balentine said:

My Jetpack data plan was only $15 a month added to my existing cell phone plan. Bought the Jetpack on Amazon for $130 just a month ago.

When added to Beyond, Above or the original 'February 2017 New' Unlimited postpaid smartphones planes - Jetpacks are $20/month. And it only includes 15GB of high speed mobile hotspot use, then hard throttled to 600 kbps speeds. 

This about to be retired prepaid plan does not have such caps, but is always subject to network management. 

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

3 hours ago, remoandiris said:

What is the definition of "network management" with respect to this prepaid plan?

We've had the plan since early November and I occasionally notice that the speed (as measured by Fast.com) falls to ~5-6MBps or even slightly below that for short periods of time.  However, only twice in that time period have I had to switch to my phone's hotspot to stream a video and both those times I was using a VPN to the UK to watch BBC.  So that was demanding a lot out of the connection.

Normally our measured speeds on Fast.com are in the 8-10Mbps range.  They are faster on Speedtest.net but it's my understanding that Fast is more of a measurement of what your streaming speed would be.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

10 hours ago, remoandiris said:

What is the definition of "network management" with respect to this prepaid plan?

"Network management" simply means that your tower access priority is temporarily reduced while the tower is heavily loaded with traffic. We have both Verizon and AT&T hotspots that are network managed, and have not seen a speed drop that noticeably interrupted our streaming so far, even at peak usage times.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Today, for the 4th time in 6 months, I have a new phone number for my Jetpack.  I found out I have a new number when I received the email receipt for my $70 prepaid payment. 

Today, for the 4th time in 4 months I have signed up for auto pay.  On June 19th, I'll find out if auto pay was successfully applied or not.  The Verizon CSR I spoke to this morning when signing up for auto pay (again!!) said the system accepted the auto pay.  She must have given me a new number since my service expired last night at midnight.  The Verizon CSR I spoke with this afternoon when I called about the new number also told me it appears the auto pay is now active.  But, I'll believe it on June 19th if my service is still active.

Unbelievable.

Edited by remoandiris

36 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

How is that different from "throttling"?  

Throttling, as the term is usually used, means that connection speeds have been reduced on a continuing basis usually until the end of a billing period.  With the current generation of Verizon Unlimited plans hotspot download speeds are reduced to (for most plans) <600kbps after 15GB of LTE data has been used in a billing period.  The speed restriction is removed at the beginning of the next billing period.

Network management is typically a short-term speed reduction with no pre-determined speed limitation.  So I've noticed my normally ~10Mbps connection drop to ~3-4Mbps for minutes to hours at a time.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

On 5/18/2019 at 11:15 AM, remoandiris said:

Here's our full guide to understanding the limits on "unlimited" plans:

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/unlimited

basics:

Network management is temporary and just lowering your priority on a tower as the carrier needs to do manage their traffic. 

Throttling is a hard cap and a set max speed. 

Edited by Technomadia

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:

Like Glenn, we stream extensively and have for quite some time now. I've not noticed any slow downs that affected our viewing, but with speeds like the ones shown below, even a 50% drop wouldn't be noticeable.

VnITvKwl.png

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Like Glenn, we stream extensively and have for quite some time now. I've not noticed any slow downs that affected our viewing, but with speeds like the ones shown below, even a 50% drop wouldn't be noticeable.

VnITvKwl.png

You must be on a mighty fine tower, there, Dutch!

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

I never get the speeds that Dutch does but this is about my norm on an 8800L jetpack.

Project1.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

FWIW trying to measure download speed is a lot more complex than it might seem. The speed measured by Fast.com (designed by Netflix) and Speedtest.net are often a factor of 2 different.  Furthermore, the speed measured by my Jetpack compared to the speed measured by the phone itself can also be rather different.  Furthermore, the speed measured by the phone connected to theJetpack via wifi can be somewhat different from the speed measured by the laptop when connected to the Jetpack.

At our "home base" in south TX our speeds are nowhere close to those cited above. But the 8-10 Mbps that we consistently get from the prepaid Jetpack are more than adequate for our streaming needs.  IMHO internet speed has become sort of like what horsepower was when I was young; "mine is bigger than yours" when either would be sufficient!😄  Unless one plans on downloading videos, I really don't care if my download speed is 10Mbps or 10 times that!   Even 720p resolution looks good on a 40' HDTV IMO.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

... But the 8-10 Mbps that we consistently get from the prepaid Jetpack are more than adequate for our streaming needs.  IMHO internet speed has become sort of like what horsepower was when I was young; "mine is bigger than yours" when either would be sufficient!😄  Unless one plans on downloading videos, I really don't care if my download speed is 10Mbps or 10 times that!   Even 720p resolution looks good on a 40' HDTV IMO.

X10^^!!!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

1 hour ago, docj said:

FWIW trying to measure download speed is a lot more complex than it might seem. The speed measured by Fast.com (designed by Netflix) and Speedtest.net are often a factor of 2 different.

For sure. After numerous HughesNet speed tests, I ditched Ookla's Speedtest because it yielded contradictory results.

I settled on Speedof.me after reading their testing methodology. I've found their results more closely predict browsing behavior than all the other HTML5 speed testers.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

My previous test was done at Jonetown KOA in Jonestown, PA. The tower there was in easy eyesight Here's what I'm seeing here in the southern Adirondacks:

qw2M5CVl.png

I'll try the other test sources for comparison soon...

Dutch

Ok, here's what Speedof.me just gave me, still here in the Adirondacks:

1BesWoEl.jpg

https://speedof.me/show.php?img=190521024431-6209.png

Fast.com is bouncing all over the place, so I'm not sure what to make of that...

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

If you're serious about speed testing, perform at least 5 tests and then average.

I'll do multiple tests over multiple days, like this . . .

hughesnet-eval-4-graph-with-text.jpg

Here's my RAW DATA.

Finally, I'll also do "real" speed tests using YouTube. I'll test a connection by seeing what "Auto" resolution (144, 240, 480, 720, 1080) YouTube uses for a broadband provider I'm testing.

Edited by Zulu

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs